Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

In the last days I've watched two documentaries both with complete contrasting styles and subject matter, however both in my eyes are essential viewing.

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse

heartsofdarkness.jpg

1991 documentary showcasing the making of Apocalypse Now and all of the problems that saw one of the greatest films ever coming close to never actually being made.

The film uses behind the scenes footage that was record by Francis Ford Coppola's wife during shooting as well interviews from the cast and crew at a later date. She also narrates the documentary.

Quite surprised I never really knew much about this documentary especially as I've said it's one of my favourite films of all time. I was quite shocked by the level of problems that were overcame to actually make the film.

Starting off with the initial delay was the film was first intended to be made in 1969, but as it was so close to the Vietnam War no studio wanted to touch on a film that would inevitably strike a raw nerve with the viewing public. Then you had the issues with financing, as Coppola put up his own money risking everything to ensure that he could make the film as he had always visualized it. You then had all of the set being destroyed due to a typhoon, Martin Sheen's heart life threatening heart attack, Marlon Brando being well Marlon Brando etc.

It's also quite a personal look into Coppola during that time and how the film almost caused him to have a total breakdown.

A special mention to Dennis Hopper as well, totally fucking out of his mind. :lol:

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

king-of-kong.jpg

Documentary that follows Stevie Wiebe who is set on breaking the 25 year old world record for Donkey Kong set by Billy Mitchell.

Been meaning to watch this for a while as it's received some absolutely amazing reviews and I went into it not knowing what to expect from it. I certainly never thought it would have as much of an impact on me that it did either way, as it was actually quite emotional in parts.

What really gets you about this is how cliquey the world of professional gaming actually is, as at times it appeared people would stop at nothing so Mitchell's record would stand. What I found even stranger about this as Mitchell comes across as a complete and utter self-obsessed arsehole, who by the end of it you feel like if you saw him in the street it would take some self restraint not to walk over and chin the bloke. Especially when you compare him to the kind hearted Wiebe, who seemed to be experiencing a journey of his own as by his own admission he feels like he's failed in certain aspects of his life no matter how hard he has tried and he's just looking for some form of recognition in anyway possible.

A must watch for anybody.

I also never realised some of the people that worked for Twin Galaxies actually existed. I mean we've all saw the stereotype, but come-on look at this guy. :lol:

robert_mruczek_twin_galaxies.jpg

This looks excellent.

Same director as There Will be Blood, a big HF favourite iirc.

Speaking of films coming out, i quite enjoyed David Mitchell's books and saw that Cloud Atlas was being made into a film. Any buzz on whether its meant to be any good?

Memories of Murder

43508_ba.jpg

Apparently I was supposed to like this as according to the likes of Tarantino it's one of the best films he's ever seen. It left me a total feeling of emptiness and I was just glad that it was over.

It's a 2003 South Korean film loosely based on a true story of the countries first known serial killings and the fight to catch the killer.

The story revolves around a detective being sent from Seoul to assist with the case to help out the local Police force. Might I add that the local Police force are probably the most annoying thing about this film, and their bumbling corrupt ways just annoyed me every time they were on screen. By the end of it I'd really had enough of them trying to fabricate evidence and beating up subjects.

As I said this just left a hollow feeling inside as in films of this genre I've watched in the past I've always been on the edge of my seat or felt something towards the characters. In this I felt nothing.

mulling over what to see at the flicks tonight - a rare date night.

currently considering:

lawless

batman, dark knight rises

total recall

hope springs

...anyone seen any of these? what should i go for? i fancy total recall but the reviews are shite and i'll do well to persuade the wife to go. don't really fancy batman though kind of feel i should. probably end up going to see hope springs ... the classic compromise.

Saw it, as mentioned a page ago - it's okay, not as bad as expected.

I just love the original that much, would feel like I'm cheating on it. :lol:

Not even Beckinsale is making me want to go and see it. :(

I just love the original that much, would feel like I'm cheating on it. :lol:

Not even Beckinsale is making me want to go and see it. :(

It is different from the original, which is it's saving grace.

If they had of renamed the characters they could have gotten away with it being a different movie, oh and they would have had to drop the three breasted wench.

Lawless is all right, not sure I'd watch it at the cinema though. Just wait for the DVD.

just got a Clapham Picture House membership. Now movies cost £5, I've 3 free tickets to use, plus I get other offers and what not. Not bad for £36 for a year. :good:

Paris, Texas

paris.jpg

Absolutely stunning film set in 1984 starring Harry Stanton as a man who is found wandering across the Texas landscape who seems unable to speak. He then collapses and is taken to a nearby medical centre and the doctor ends up calling his brother who lives in LA to pick him up and the story unravels from there.

You then end up finding out that he has been missing for four years, although you don't find out the reasons why until the end of the film.

Don't really want to ruin the plot for people, but despite seeming like nothing happens it really does. It's one of those film that's totally character driven and the visually backgrounds make this a really beautiful film that leaves you on an emotional knife edge all of the way through it.

The Mad Detective

mad-detective-still.jpg

2007 Hong Kong film about a mentally ill, former detective who comes out of retirement for one case to help an inexperienced detective on a case. This is made all the more complicated by the fact the case is in to track down a missing policeman whose partner is the main suspect for the crime.

Quite different to your usual detective film in the fact that the detective brought back from retirement believes that he has a gift to see a person's "inner personalities" so there's quite a lot of different changing of people in scenes due to how he is perceiving people. So this adds quite a nice edge to it. Also the reason he has to retire is as his boss is about to retire he decides to cut his ear off in front of him and give him it as a leaving present. :lol:

There's a couple of bits throughout that are quite compelling too (for example the lead is seen having conversations with his wife, but you find out that she has actually left him a long time ago, he's just still having visions of the wife he once had).

As I said it's a bit different to your usual detective thriller, plus it's only 90 minutes or so long so you can easily put it on and it be over with before you know it and it has killed some time.

One thing that I will say is due to the swapping about of characters and certain time-shifting that happens in the film you can lose track of it at times.

Kelly Lin plays his wife and in the flashbacks he has she looks rather beautiful.

11153996_ori.jpg

11154235_gal.jpg

The Mad Detective

mad-detective-still.jpg

2007 Hong Kong film about a mentally ill, former detective who comes out of retirement for one case to help an inexperienced detective on a case. This is made all the more complicated by the fact the case is in to track down a missing policeman whose partner is the main suspect for the crime.

Quite different to your usual detective film in the fact that the detective brought back from retirement believes that he has a gift to see a person's "inner personalities" so there's quite a lot of different changing of people in scenes due to how he is perceiving people. So this adds quite a nice edge to it. Also the reason he has to retire is as his boss is about to retire he decides to cut his ear off in front of him and give him it as a leaving present. :lol:

There's a couple of bits throughout that are quite compelling too (for example the lead is seen having conversations with his wife, but you find out that she has actually left him a long time ago, he's just still having visions of the wife he once had).

As I said it's a bit different to your usual detective thriller, plus it's only 90 minutes or so long so you can easily put it on and it be over with before you know it and it has killed some time.

One thing that I will say is due to the swapping about of characters and certain time-shifting that happens in the film you can lose track of it at times.

Kelly Lin plays his wife and in the flashbacks he has she looks rather beautiful.

11153996_ori.jpg

11154235_gal.jpg

Tooj, how do you decide which movie to watch next? Your taste seems eclectic while remaining very much in what I'd call an alternative area. Is there a film forum you visit, is it recommendations from friends or something else?

Genuinely intrigued because it's not like music, for me. I mean I'm surrounded by music pretty much 24/7 and in listening to 6Music, visinting web sites like Gorilla Vs Bear or Hypemachine or whatever. Other than trawling the nooks and crannies of IMDB I wouldn't know where to find film like these.

I think it's just a mixture of everything really.

I'm not signed up to any movie forum as such. I just read a lot of film reviews online, look at journalists lists etc especially as there's always some good stuff knocking around on the Guardian website.

My mates all tend to have similar taste so they might mention things I haven't seen which I'll watch, places like here too.

I check IMDB as well and go down there top 100 list and see if there's anything on there.

I've had stuff on my Amazon wishlist for ages as well, and Amazon itself is really good as if I've bought something it throws up the people who bought this also bought etc from. So if I've bought something that I've liked I tend to follow the Amazon recommendations for similar films too.

I think it's just a mixture of everything really.

I'm not signed up to any movie forum as such. I just read a lot of film reviews online, look at journalists lists etc especially as there's always some good stuff knocking around on the Guardian website.

My mates all tend to have similar taste so they might mention things I haven't seen which I'll watch, places like here too.

I check IMDB as well and go down there top 100 list and see if there's anything on there.

I've had stuff on my Amazon wishlist for ages as well, and Amazon itself is really good as if I've bought something it throws up the people who bought this also bought etc from. So if I've bought something that I've liked I tend to follow the Amazon recommendations for similar films too.

Cheers

:good:

The Hong Kong film awards are always a good source for the cream of Asian fare.

:spit:

Edited by The Fish