Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Guest alex
The Lives of Others

Good film, as it shows how banal and dull life for Stasi agents were, and how corrupting the system had become. There was a numbing atmosphere about the film.

Have to break into my Infernal Affairs Trilogy soon, although I might end up watching Downfall again.

Infernal Affairs is mint man, get those watched. The first two are the best.

The Lives of Others

Good film, as it shows how banal and dull life for Stasi agents were, and how corrupting the system had become. There was a numbing atmosphere about the film.

Have to break into my Infernal Affairs Trilogy soon, although I might end up watching Downfall again.

Infernal Affairs is mint man, get those watched. The first two are the best.

They are rated. I bought them as I used to live in Hong Kong in the early 1990's, so it'll be interesting.

Star Trek.

Sad to report it is very average on the whole with one or two killer action scenes.

6/10

Away to see it tonight in the bowels of the Millennium Dome. First time I've been to the cinema since... god knows actually. Children Of Men or The Queen probably. :lol:

Oldboy.

:o

Watched Lady Vengence last night. :lol:

Both of them are class. I must get round to watching Mr Vengence

Can't wait to see them if they're a patch on Oldboy. Gonna 'acquire' them over the weekend I think. Oldboy really is one of the best films I've seen.

I have Akira(already seen + loved) and Battle Royale to watch this weekend too. A friend passed on about 200gig of moves to me, so I have some catching up to do.

Star Trek.

Sad to report it is very average on the whole with one or two killer action scenes.

6/10

Fuck, my hopes now rest on you actually having no taste!

For one thing the baddie has almost no storyline or character development, which makes his menace (apart from having a massive ship) plasticky and unbelievable. The strongest part is the stuff that revolves around a young Spock. It's one of those films where if they had put the 'redundant' (on the cutting room floor) footage back in, would be much better for it. The narrative drive is unrelenting like a Star Wars but without the voodoo or mystery.

Oldboy.

Can't wait to see them if they're a patch on Oldboy. Gonna 'acquire' them over the weekend I think. Oldboy really is one of the best films I've seen.

I have Akira(already seen + loved) and Battle Royale to watch this weekend too. A friend passed on about 200gig of moves to me, so I have some catching up to do.

From what I've read elsewhere Mr Vengence is better than Lady Vengence which I thought was excellent. Not as action packed as Oldboy though.

Battle Royale is very good too.

Guest alex
Oldboy.

From what I've read elsewhere Mr Vengence is better than Lady Vengence which I thought was excellent. Not as action packed as Oldboy though.

Battle Royale is very good too.

Every 'Beat' Takeshi film I've seen has been quality.

Star Trek.

6/10

Fuck, my hopes now rest on you actually having no taste!

For one thing the baddie has almost no storyline or character development, which makes his menace (apart from having a massive ship) plasticky and unbelievable. The strongest part is the stuff that revolves around a young Spock. It's one of those films where if they had put the 'redundant' (on the cutting room floor) footage back in, would be much better for it. The narrative drive is unrelenting like a Star Wars but without the voodoo or mystery.

I'll echo that. Good fun as a popcorn movie, but I expected better.

Star Trek.

Loved it ! absolutely fucking loved it ! I would have gladly cued up and watched it again.

About Schmidt

An absolute turd. How exactly is it a comedy? Its not. It's really not. For a supposedly comedic movie, I didn't laugh once. Jack Nicholson takes a road trip in his RV that was bought for him and his wife to enjoy retirement. Cue alot of soliloquay that really doesn't go anywhere other than to tell the viewer that he's lonely, which we gathered from the opening. If this wasn't bad enough, the movie is just so ridiculously sad and depressing that I almost burst into tears when the ice cream had ran out. It was an emotional trip over nothing other than a lonely old man, and there's only so much of that you can put up with in the narrative before you really start wondering what the film is trying to put accross other than Jack Nicholson is having a hard time dealing with being lonely. Too pedestrian, not enough funnies for a comedy (it didn't even work as a black comedy for god sake) genre and even though I thought Nicholson's performance was as very good, the overall movie was just like visiting your grandparents on a sunday afternoon when it's greay and pissing it down outside, whilst they recollect to you stories of how they walked the dog or had someone in to fix the roof.

Very poor. 2/10

I've been watching too many Kermode film reviews. :D

Guest alex
The Departed. Tre-fucking-mendous.

You should watch Infernal Affairs as well.

I'll keep an eye out for it. :D

The Departed was a remake of it.

Watched High Fidelity last night - had seen it before but still enjoyed it a lot - anyone who whinges about the transfer to the US should just imagine Hugh Grant as Rob.

I'm a fan of John Cusack - Gross Pointe Blank is probably one of my top 5 films.

Guest alex

Oh right. :lol:

Both are excellent imo.

Oh right. :lol:

Both are excellent imo.

Thought I.A. was a bit better. Great stuff though.

Watched 'Lars & the Real Girl' last night. Very good. 7.5/10

Gosling is fantastic.

Edited by Barney