Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Apocalyto.

Magnificent, not enjoyed a film as much as that in a very very long time.

Mel Gibson is an anti-semetic genius !

Happy Face, I saw World trade Centre on DVD yesterday. First of all, I'll admit the connection made with Iraq was pretty slight, but I still think it would have been better not to make it. But as for the rest, I think it was one of the worst films I have ever seen. Dull, slow, and tedious are all adjectives that could be applied to it, I very nearly gave up on watching it. Some bits were truely cringeworthy, I kept on having to pinch myself to remind me that Olver Stone directed this garbage.

Seriously, anyone who hasn't seen this take my advice and don't bother.

Happy Face, I saw World trade Centre on DVD yesterday. First of all, I'll admit the connection made with Iraq was pretty slight, but I still think it would have been better not to make it. But as for the rest, I think it was one of the worst films I have ever seen. Dull, slow, and tedious are all adjectives that could be applied to it, I very nearly gave up on watching it. Some bits were truely cringeworthy, I kept on having to pinch myself to remind me that Olver Stone directed this garbage.

It's been a while since I saw it, but I'd still argue it makes no connection with Iraq. I think one character says "someone will pay for this" or something, which uninformed people would see as justifying action in Iraq, but I see as justifying action in Afghanistan.

Fair enough though, you didn't like it, but I think saying it's one of the worst you've seen may be a use of hyperbole rather than a fair and balanced criticism. "Dull, Slow and tedious"? It's a reconstruction of actual events, I can't imagine the criticism Stone would have got had he introduced a chase scene at the end. It's not flawless, it's melodramatic and sappy but I think it's satisfying and focuses on hope given a seemingly hopeless situation. More importantly I think it's a fantastic indictment of George Bush's manipulation of that day to his own ends.

Which bits were cringeworthy? A lot of people complain about the water bottle scene, but that is exactly as the survivor described one of his dreams.

Like any film, I'd advise everyone to watch it and make up their own mind (good or bad) rather than allowing others to form their opinion for them. Far better for opening debate rather than pinholing it.

It's been a while since I saw it, but I'd still argue it makes no connection with Iraq. I think one character says "someone will pay for this" or something, which uninformed people would see as justifying action in Iraq, but I see as justifying action in Afghanistan.

Fair enough though, you didn't like it, but I think saying it's one of the worst you've seen may be a use of hyperbole rather than a fair and balanced criticism. "Dull, Slow and tedious"? It's a reconstruction of actual events, I can't imagine the criticism Stone would have got had he introduced a chase scene at the end. It's not flawless, it's melodramatic and sappy but I think it's satisfying and focuses on hope given a seemingly hopeless situation. More importantly I think it's a fantastic indictment of George Bush's manipulation of that day to his own ends.

Which bits were cringeworthy? A lot of people complain about the water bottle scene, but that is exactly as the survivor described one of his dreams.

Like any film, I'd advise everyone to watch it and make up their own mind (good or bad) rather than allowing others to form their opinion for them. Far better for opening debate rather than pinholing it.

Although it's an amazing story in some respects, I admit that it's probably hard to make the faithful retelling of two blokes stuck in a hole in the ground interesting. In the end it wasn't suitable material for a film imo.

The bits I found cringworthy were Jesus and the bottle of water (just because the bloke hallucinated this doesn't make it worthy of inclusion), the marine saying he will get revenge, the guy in Wisonsin who says "the bastards!" (wtf was that included), and the cliched flashbacks of Cage teaching his son woodwork.

I really am struggling to think of a worse film released in mainstream cinemas. I'd rather watch Weekend at Bernie's again tbh.

I'd rather watch Weekend at Bernie's again tbh.

In all honesty, Weekend At Bernie's is a canny film. Carries off what it intends to quite well. When I watched it as a kid with the family we all pissed ourselves laughing.

The Cabinet of Dr Caligari - Expressionism is used too little in modern films. Probably only Tim Burton gives it a whirl in popular film but I always think it's a good thing. The most interesting thing about this was how it looked.

You haven't seen Alexander the Great then. Oim emperor of the world to be sure.

Agreed, Alexander was terrible.

The 400 Blows. Supposedly classic French film from the 60s(?). I have to admit I turned it off before the end, 75 minutes was more than enough to be bored out of my mind. It may be well made or realistic but nothing at all interesting happens. My worst taste of subtitled films so far.

Ice Age 2 - An enjoyable film with the possum characters adding something to original team.

Pirates Of The Caribbean 2. Not as good as first one, too many threads all going on at once for a film of this type. Johnny Depp wasn't nearly as funny as in the first one and Geoffrey Rush was sadly missed. Hopefully his inclusion in the third will liven it up.

I also started watching Downfall which is a fascinating look at the last days of Hitler and his cronies. It shows them all as human beings (albeit deranged ones) and not the monsters that they usually appear as. I'm very keen to see the rest of it.

One star in the Sunday Times. Think I'll follow your advice.

Agreed, Alexander was terrible.

It was incredibly dull and the decision to make the Macedonians speak with Irish accents (i'm guessing on the basis that Farrell couldn't do anything else) was ludicrous!