Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Cheers Bum, don't know if that's sarky since my appraisal of The Descent was so derided, but I will check it out.  I'd read that Tarantino said it was the most disturbing film he'd seen.  How have you seen it so soon, It's not out till the end of March.  Have you been naughty? tut tut.

103019[/snapback]

No, from a personal point of view I reckon we have similar taste in movies, I just disagreed on the merits of The Descent in general; I really enjoyed it.

I have indeed been naughty, although if I like a movie I buy the DVD, that's the rule, so this one will definitely be ordered. Depending on the law change over here next week I may or may not change that rule.

I knew nothing about Hostel until the credits rolled, other than it was a half decent horror film, so it was a real treat for me. I'm still assuming Tarantino was only involved as a producer, though I can totally see why he put his name on it, and I couldn't remember who Roth was until I looked him up afterwards. Some of the levels I saw, when I mentioned them to my girlfriend, she looked at me like I was crazy so it'd be good to discuss the movie with someone who enjoys that sort of thing.

Cheers for the recommendation Brock, The Educkators is downloaded and ready to go for this evening. :clapping:

103032[/snapback]

Ooo it's subtitled though so if that isn't a problem the movie is very much enjoyable. :nufc:

Das Experiment is a brilliant film, based on the true story (it came before that reality TV version). I've been watching German films over the past year since I'm looking at studying German (at least to a certian extent) at uni. :)

Cheers Bum, don't know if that's sarky since my appraisal of The Descent was so derided, but I will check it out.  I'd read that Tarantino said it was the most disturbing film he'd seen.  How have you seen it so soon, It's not out till the end of March.  Have you been naughty? tut tut.

103019[/snapback]

No, from a personal point of view I reckon we have similar taste in movies, I just disagreed on the merits of The Descent in general; I really enjoyed it.

I have indeed been naughty, although if I like a movie I buy the DVD, that's the rule, so this one will definitely be ordered. Depending on the law change over here next week I may or may not change that rule.

I knew nothing about Hostel until the credits rolled, other than it was a half decent horror film, so it was a real treat for me. I'm still assuming Tarantino was only involved as a producer, though I can totally see why he put his name on it, and I couldn't remember who Roth was until I looked him up afterwards. Some of the levels I saw, when I mentioned them to my girlfriend, she looked at me like I was crazy so it'd be good to discuss the movie with someone who enjoys that sort of thing.

Cheers for the recommendation Brock, The Educkators is downloaded and ready to go for this evening. :clapping:

103032[/snapback]

Ooo it's subtitled though so if that isn't a problem the movie is very much enjoyable. :nufc:

Das Experiment is a brilliant film, based on the true story (it came before that reality TV version). I've been watching German films over the past year since I'm looking at studying German (at least to a certian extent) at uni. :)

103129[/snapback]

goodbye lenin and der untergang are about the only german films ive seen i think.

Just watched Hostel, one of the best horror movies I've ever seen; works on many levels, definitely one for HF to check out.  I'm not usually a fan of the gory side of horror movies, but I didn't find any of it gratuitous.

102992[/snapback]

i quite enjoyed it. robbed its main theme off that jean claude van damme film like. ten times better than his last film, cabin fever!

103106[/snapback]

Time Cop?

Brock - Yeah subtitles are no problem, saw Das Experiment a couple of years ago, excellent movie, must get it on DVD. Laz has just reminded me I want to see Der Untergang, accidentally downloaded a Scandinavian DVD copy a while back with no English subs and then forgot about it.

Munich

A History of Violence

Shinobi

All very good. I'll give Shinobi a special mention as its one that most will never hear of. Kind of Romeo and Juliet meets House of flying daggers with over the top fight scenes and special effects. Not the strongest plot wise but beautifully shot. Based on a manga so its a bit comic book and very fast paced. If you've seen Versus or Azumi you'll know what to expect. A review here, http://search.japantimes.co.jp/print/featu...f20050930a3.htm.

Stars the stunning Yukie Nakama too..

75f66d1d.gif

got a bit of an asian backlog so Seven Swords, Neighbour No 13, Election and Spring, Summer,Autumn,Fall and Spring next week. Good job Im off sick

Edited by luckypierre

Just watched Hostel, one of the best horror movies I've ever seen; works on many levels, definitely one for HF to check out.  I'm not usually a fan of the gory side of horror movies, but I didn't find any of it gratuitous.

102992[/snapback]

i quite enjoyed it. robbed its main theme off that jean claude van damme film like. ten times better than his last film, cabin fever!

103106[/snapback]

Time Cop?

Brock - Yeah subtitles are no problem, saw Das Experiment a couple of years ago, excellent movie, must get it on DVD. Laz has just reminded me I want to see Der Untergang, accidentally downloaded a Scandinavian DVD copy a while back with no English subs and then forgot about it.

103133[/snapback]

nah, the one where you pay money to hunt someone down and kill them. like in hostel :clapping:

American Grafitti - Everyone says it, but the soundtrack on it is exceptional. Not just a load of 50's music, but a load of 50's music that compliments the picture like few others. I never thought I'd compare George Lucas favourably with Martin Scorcese, but the use of music made me think of him. Not only does the it help the film, but the film brings something out in the songs too. I must've heard Green Onions by Booker T and the MG's a million times, but when it's used to introduce the race I made a little bit of man goo in my pants. It's a shame Star Wars has taken over Lucas' life, I'd like to see some other original material.

The Third Man - I can't see it personally. It's supposed to be the best British film ever made, but I was never drawn into it. Perhaps it's too famous to appreciate now, if I wasn't aware of the entire plot and all the best lines I might have enjoyed it. I don't think so though, because I loved Sunset Blvd, and I knew just as much about that.

A Taste of Honey - Came free with the paper a few weeks back. Apparently it's Morrissey's favourite film and he's used a lot of lines from it. I can see why he likes it, because he's a miserable bastard.

Watched 'Goodnight and Good Luck' at the Tyneside the other night. Really enjoyed it. It's about a TV presenter/journalist and the people who work for him going after Senator Mccarthy at the height of the Communist witch hunts in the US in the 1950's. It's black and white which gives ot a stylish film noir feel and it also mixes in actual footage of Mccarthy from the time.

Also watched 'Bamboozled'. It's a Spike Lee film where Damon Wayans plays a TV Producer who does a version of the Black and White Minstrels show (except the minstrels are black people 'blacked-up') in order to cause controversy, to satirise the media and hopefully to get himself sacked in order to free himself from his contract at the TV company. However the show turns out to be a massive success with the public. Good, but not one of Lee's best.

Saw Der Untergang last night, those Nazis knew how to throw a party.

I can second Brock's recommendation of The Edukators, thought it was good, but nothing revolutionary until near the end, which tipped the scales of GREATness.

Edited by DotBum

I can second Brock's recommendation of The Edukators, thought it was good, but nothing revolutionary until near the end, which tipped the scales of GREATness.

103546[/snapback]

Der Untergang seems very popular, has anyone seen Solntse (The Sun)? It's meant to be similar but focuses on Japanese Emperor Hirohito and Japan's defeat in World War II. It's a russian film directed by Aleksandr Sokurov who did Russian Ark (which was class).

I can't find it cheap, so I want to canvas opinion before blowing my wad.

Der Untergang seems very popular, has anyone seen Solntse (The Sun)?  It's meant to be similar but focuses on Japanese Emperor Hirohito and Japan's defeat in World War II.  It's a russian film directed by Aleksandr Sokurov who did Russian Ark (which was class).

103554[/snapback]

Just had a look at that on imdb, might be worth a look. Why don't you download it, watch it, and if you like it, buy it?

Der Untergang seems very popular, has anyone seen Solntse (The Sun)?  It's meant to be similar but focuses on Japanese Emperor Hirohito and Japan's defeat in World War II.  It's a russian film directed by Aleksandr Sokurov who did Russian Ark (which was class).

103554[/snapback]

Just had a look at that on imdb, might be worth a look. Why don't you download it, watch it, and if you like it, buy it?

103560[/snapback]

:clapping:

That's you that is. :nufc:

:clapping: 

That's you that is. :nufc:

103566[/snapback]

Aye, how this works is, I get you to download one movie, and by lunch time tomorrow you'll be taking small children intravenously; then I get to eat your soul.

Anyone seen 'How High' starring Methodman and Redman? They get into Harvard (or is it Yale?) after they discover by smoking the weed grown in pots fertilised by the ashes of their brainy dead mate they can communicate with him and cheat in exams. There aren't many tasteless, tacky films I can't sit through but Jesus Weptathon!

103546[/snapback]

Another German movie you might like:

Das Wunder Von Bern

2 plots really, one is following Germany winning the 1954 World Cup whilst the other follows the Lubanski family where the father, Richard returns after 12 years at a POW camp.

Quite a moving film and the script is amazing. :) Football isn't bad either!