Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

silly, yong, bit of a baby... fair enough

still right though ;)

:rolleyes:

Domino Really thought this would be utter shit.

quitre a cool film and definitely not one to watch with stereotypical girls, but very entertaining, verys tylish, kept me hooked all the way through.interesting camera work, interesting sound and interesting leaps between narratgive and pedestrian story work.

94516[/snapback]

Yep you and johnny_nufc both on the right :razz:

I haven't watched a film for a while but my friends watched Hotel Rwanda with the volume turned up dead loud in the next room. Had to play music when I went to bed to prevent me having nightmares.

They're a couple as well, quite why they wanted to watch such a film on Valentine's is a question for which I'd rather not know the answer.

Goal starts here on Thursday, should I bother or wait until it is released on DVD?

94481[/snapback]

Go and see it :o

It's hardly a classic but it's very watchable :lol:

Goal starts here on Thursday, should I bother or wait until it is released on DVD?

94481[/snapback]

Go and see it :o

It's hardly a classic but it's very watchable :lol:

94876[/snapback]

Thanks Cath. It is on at one of the open air cinemas that pop up over the summer months, should be enjoyable with a good bottle of wine or 2.

The Wedding Crashers

Dogshit first 20 minutes, but it gets (slightly) into its swing after that and has some canny funny moments. Probably because that's when Christopher Walken gets on Screen. Lordy, he's a funny man - "Well, the guy wants to run for president, he thinks Moby Dick is a venereal disease" :lol:

The Wedding Crashers

Dogshit first 20 minutes, but it gets (slightly) into its swing after that and has some canny funny moments.  Probably because that's when Christopher Walken gets on Screen.  Lordy, he's a funny man - "Well, the guy wants to run for president, he thinks Moby Dick is a venereal disease"  :lol:

95363[/snapback]

I was distinctly underwhelmed by The Wedding Crashers. Not a patch on Anchorman.

I was distinctly underwhelmed by The Wedding Crashers. Not a patch on Anchorman.

95371[/snapback]

Quoted for truth Kenny.

Edit: I still enjoyed Wedding Crashers though.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaa. Meaaaaaaaaaaaatlooooaffffff.

Edited by Holden McGroin

The League of Gentlemen Apocalypse - The first 2 series of LOG were brilliant. The christmas special was shit and the third series was bad, but not as bad as peolpe make out. The film IS that bad. It's a clever format (or 'scenario' for you pedants, but definately not a 'genre') and it has some funny moments, but nothing laugh out loud funny at all. The most damning indictment comes from the league themselves, with constant references to the one dimensional nature of Herr Lipp and the paucity of bad puns that have kept him from being funny since he buried Justin.

The Assassination of Richard Nixon - Sean Penn is as good as he's ever been as Samuel Bicke, a real life character whose life has been fictionalised into an amalgam of Rupert Pupkin, Travis Bickle and William Foster. Apart from characterisation, a whole lot more is taken from The King of Comedy, Taxi Driver and Falling Down so I'd expect to be telling people to watch those instead, but the fact is TAORN leaves you feeling as uneasy as any of those and as sympathetic to the madman. So I recommend it to anyone who has seen and enjoyed the other three, anyone else should get those first though.

• 2 weeks later...
Serenity

Not bad at all, quite original for a sci-fi flick.

102809[/snapback]

I know Jonathon Woss loved it and he's got canny taste.

I watched '2046' the other night. It's the follow up to 'In The Mood For Love'. It's set in 1960's Hong Kong (Chinese with subtitles) with the main character is writing a sci-fi novel set in 2046 which is really just about his own life and those of the people he meets. It's quite slow but beautifully shot. Loved it.

I also watched 'Witchfinder General' after Mark Kermode likened it to 'The Wicker Man'. What a boring pile of shit. It's set-in Civil War England with Vincent Price's hamming it up in the title role being one of the few redeeming features (plus the odd creepy scene). The longest 1 hour 30 minutes I've spent recently.

Serenity

Not bad at all, quite original for a sci-fi flick.

102809[/snapback]

I know Jonathon Woss loved it and he's got canny taste.

I watched '2046' the other night. It's the follow up to 'In The Mood For Love'. It's set in 1960's Hong Kong (Chinese with subtitles) with the main character is writing a sci-fi novel set in 2046 which is really just about his own life and those of the people he meets. It's quite slow but beautifully shot. Loved it.

I also watched 'Witchfinder General' after Mark Kermode likened it to 'The Wicker Man'. What a boring pile of shit. It's set-in Civil War England with Vincent Price's hamming it up in the title role being one of the few redeeming features (plus the odd creepy scene). The longest 1 hour 30 minutes I've spent recently.

102810[/snapback]

I didnt get my open-toed sandals down to the newsagents co-operative in time to get my Guardian last week cos I had a lentil bake on the go-so I missed my free copy of the Wicker Man. Still never seen it. :(

Agree about Witchfinder General btw :icon_lol: ....though I could watch quite a lot of stuff just for Vincent Price alone.

Vincent Price is still good in it like :icon_lol: Btw, I bought the Guardian on Saturday* but I've seen it before anyway so you can borrow my copy if you like. It's a good film, if a bit dated. Christopher Lee does the hamming up in this one :(

*That's me off Leazes' Xmas card list.

Vincent Price is still good in it like :icon_lol: Btw, I bought the Guardian on Saturday* but I've seen it before anyway so you can borrow my copy if you like. It's a good film, if a bit dated. Christopher Lee does the hamming up in this one :(

102813[/snapback]

Good man, so it is! I'll remind you before I'm up next time tbs tbs :up:

102813[/snapback]

102815[/snapback]

I'll get someone to do you a copy and I'll mail you it if you like. By all means remind me though, you know what I'm like.

Vincent Price is still good in it like :icon_lol: Btw, I bought the Guardian on Saturday* but I've seen it before anyway so you can borrow my copy if you like. It's a good film, if a bit dated. Christopher Lee does the hamming up in this one :up:

102813[/snapback]

102815[/snapback]

Wicker Man - One of IMDB's best musicals :(

Sunset Blvd. - If you want to see hamming up, look at Gloria Swanson in this (It's in character likie, and spoils nothing). I'm ashamed it's taken me this long to see it, and I only got it because it was £2 on teleport (bargain). The whole think is bizarre, the dead monkey is one of the most macabre things I've seen on screen. I watched most of it with open mouthed astonishment. For a film made 55 years ago it's still relevant and disturbing.

His Big White Self - I know nothing about South Africa, so this was a lesson. It's a shame all the change that's gone on seems to have yielded little positive effects so far. An informative but uninspiring documentary.

Just watched Hostel, one of the best horror movies I've ever seen; works on many levels, definitely one for HF to check out. I'm not usually a fan of the gory side of horror movies, but I didn't find any of it gratuitous.

The Edukators.

Was a german film where a group of human rights activists would break in to houses, re-arrange furniture and leave messages saying "you have too much money". Then they kidnapped a guy because he saw them.

A little odd but I thought it was alright.

Oh and earlier I stuck Slapshot on. :icon_lol:

Just watched Hostel, one of the best horror movies I've ever seen; works on many levels, definitely one for HF to check out.  I'm not usually a fan of the gory side of horror movies, but I didn't find any of it gratuitous.

102992[/snapback]

Cheers Bum, don't know if that's sarky since my appraisal of The Descent was so derided, but I will check it out. I'd read that Tarantino said it was the most disturbing film he'd seen. How have you seen it so soon, It's not out till the end of March. Have you been naughty? tut tut.

Wallace and gromit in the Curse of the Were Rabbit - Total class, one of the funniest films I've seen in a long time. I particularly enjoyed the joke stolen from Peasepud ("Ay Up" rather than "Alreet"). I didn't really go for the previous W&G's, but this one was so reverential of other films I couldn't fail to be amused.

Cheers Bum, don't know if that's sarky since my appraisal of The Descent was so derided, but I will check it out.  I'd read that Tarantino said it was the most disturbing film he'd seen.  How have you seen it so soon, It's not out till the end of March.  Have you been naughty? tut tut.

103019[/snapback]

No, from a personal point of view I reckon we have similar taste in movies, I just disagreed on the merits of The Descent in general; I really enjoyed it.

I have indeed been naughty, although if I like a movie I buy the DVD, that's the rule, so this one will definitely be ordered. Depending on the law change over here next week I may or may not change that rule.

I knew nothing about Hostel until the credits rolled, other than it was a half decent horror film, so it was a real treat for me. I'm still assuming Tarantino was only involved as a producer, though I can totally see why he put his name on it, and I couldn't remember who Roth was until I looked him up afterwards. Some of the levels I saw, when I mentioned them to my girlfriend, she looked at me like I was crazy so it'd be good to discuss the movie with someone who enjoys that sort of thing.

Cheers for the recommendation Brock, The Educkators is downloaded and ready to go for this evening. :icon_lol:

Just watched Hostel, one of the best horror movies I've ever seen; works on many levels, definitely one for HF to check out.  I'm not usually a fan of the gory side of horror movies, but I didn't find any of it gratuitous.

102992[/snapback]

i quite enjoyed it. robbed its main theme off that jean claude van damme film like. ten times better than his last film, cabin fever!

not a film, but ive just finished watching the old vietnam tv series 'tour of duty'. all 3 series as well.

waaaaaay better than band of brothers.