Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

A History of violence

Without question the longest 96mins of my life, what a turkey of a movie ! Viggo Mortensen puts in one of the most wooden performances it has ever been  my misfortune to witness.

The dialog is straight out of the George Lucas school of minamalism and could have been writen by a 5 yearold, the plot is predictable and disapointing.

AVOID !!

113211[/snapback]

:lol:

I loved it and thought the two leads were amazing.

Recommended

113226[/snapback]

No and no.

I thought it was garbage. Totally unbelievable.

Family find out Dad has violent past and think... maybe I could be violent too and start shooting people and engaging in violent sex. Absolute tosh.

114698[/snapback]

Totally agreed the film was asbolute gash

114701[/snapback]

They don't just find out their dad has a violent past, they find out he still is a violent man. He hasn't changed. This turns his wife on and she hates herself for it, she enjoys the rough sex and tries to deny it by remaining angry with him and pretending to blame him. Women love a tough guy.

It's all about survival of the fittest, the strongest will flourish and always have, we can all pretend to be goody goody, anti-war, give peace a chance lefties, but if something threatens us or our family, we need to kick an arse or two.

If Joey had been the lads father all along, then the son would have been a hard case at school all along, but Tom made the conscious decision that Joey was dead. Tom supressed Joey, and his son supressed his strength in the same way. Only when Joey was forced to act and the son witnessed it all did he start to consider what he might be capable of. He became his fathers son. Inherited the characteristics that benefit him. Nature versus nurture.

It's a class film.

114727[/snapback]

Did you read that in a book? :lol:

116904[/snapback]

No, Mark Kermode said so.

EDIT: :lol:

Edited by Happy Face

Oh, I also watched Super Size Me and The Exorcism of Emily Rose last night. The former left me craving a sausage and egg McMuffin (despite it's conclusion) whilst the latter was more enjoyable than I thought it would be. Nice to have a storyline rather than just horror for horror's sake..

Edited by catmag

Oh, I also watched Super Size Me and The Exorcism of Emily Rose last night.  The former left me craving a sausage and egg McMuffin (despite it's conclusion) whilst the latter was more enjoyable than I thought it would be.  Nice to have a storyline rather than just horror for horror's sake..

116937[/snapback]

Nearly everyone I've spoken to about Super Size Me said that they were either eating fast food at the time, or craved it afterwards.

Personally, I watched it eating a double chicken cheese burger and chips. From a a takeaway that's probably far more bad for you than anything McDonalds provides. :lol:

Am I wasting my time with The Assassination of Richard Nixon, or is it any good?

117345[/snapback]

If you liked Taxi Driver or Falling Down. Yeah. Not as good as either, but still good.

Lord of War - Horseshit (At the end it says "Based on actual events", then at the end of the credits it says "The events and characters depicted in this film are fictitious. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental." :D Wossalltharabout?)

The Manchurian Candidate (1962) - Canny

Am I wasting my time with The Assassination of Richard Nixon, or is it any good?

117345[/snapback]

If you liked Taxi Driver or Falling Down. Yeah. Not as good as either, but still good.

117393[/snapback]

Enjoyed it. Felt sorry for the poor fucker though.

117345[/snapback]

117393[/snapback]

Enjoyed it. Felt sorry for the poor fucker though.

118600[/snapback]

I think Peasepud is going that way. Needs something to take his mind off these missions of his or he'll end up on the front of The Sun. :D

R-Point

Got it solely based on the blurb and the cover..

r-point.jpg

The year is 1972 and amidst the Vietnam War, nine Korean soldiers end up missing at a section located only 150km from Ho Chi Minh City known as "R Point." Despite being missing for more than six months, Korean headquarters occasionally receive radio transmissions, requesting help. Hard-boiled Lieutenant Choi Tae In (Kam Woo Sung) is assigned to take a platoon and journey to the isolated area to find the missing men. Arriving at the designated location, Choi finds an abandoned building in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by the graves of those who entered R-Point. Before the platoon can figure out what's going on, they discover a shocking revelation - one of the men in their platoon, who they all thought was one of them, turns out to be one of the missing men they were sent to find. . .

not bad but not great either. Picks up a bit in the last half but overall a bit of a waste. Not enough scary bits

Edited by luckypierre

Took mrs hips to see Alien Autopsy the other night.

Simple but witty. Regardless of what the media say, it was still 'Ant and Dec', though that didn't really spoil the movie for us.

The, 'Let's get ready to.....' comment by Dec half way through was quite clever, I thought :D

Edited by snakehips

DIG! - It would be hilarious if it wasn't true. As it is, it's a horrifying documentary (as horrifying as a music doc can get anyway). The Dandy Warhols and The Brian Jonestown Massacre are bands that tour together and have a good time. When the Dandy's knuckle down to some hard work and get some recognition, The BJM fall apart at the seams trying to keep it 'real' (partying hard, not selling out).

It's been compared to Spinal Tap and that's spot on, the reality gives it more Officey cringe type laughs than proper belly laughs. They fawn over over Anton (singer with BJM) as a genius and compare him to Jesus, then complain when his ego gets out of control, what the fuck did they expect? I'd recommend it to all, I'm not a fan of either band and thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope the people that were in it saw their behaviour and have since reigned it in a tad. I doubt it though.

I watched Man On Fire last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't ever remember seeing it advertised or plugged when it was out at the cinema though :D

DIG! - It would be hilarious if it wasn't true. As it is, it's a horrifying documentary (as horrifying as a music doc can get anyway).  The Dandy Warhols and The Brian Jonestown Massacre are bands that tour together and have a good time.  When the Dandy's knuckle down to some hard work and get some recognition, The BJM fall apart at the seams trying to keep it 'real' (partying hard, not selling out).

It's been compared to Spinal Tap and that's spot on, the reality gives it more Officey cringe type laughs than proper belly laughs.  They fawn over over Anton (singer with BJM) as a genius and compare him to Jesus, then complain when his ego gets out of control, what the fuck did they expect?  I'd recommend it to all, I'm not a fan of either band and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I hope the people that were in it saw their behaviour and have since reigned it in a tad.  I doubt it though.

119118[/snapback]

Is that on cinema release or DVD? Like to see that, big fan of the Warhols.

I went old skool last weekend, watched Lost Boys and the Mad Max trilogy. Lost Boys didn't seem as good as I remembered it, still a canny film like. As for the Mad Max Trilogy, I never liked the first one and I was reminded why Third one I didn't really care for either. However, the second one is class.

Is that on cinema release or DVD? Like to see that, big fan of the Warhols.

I went old skool last weekend, watched Lost Boys and the Mad Max trilogy. Lost Boys didn't seem as good as I remembered it, still a canny film like. As for the Mad Max Trilogy, I never liked the first one and I was reminded why Third one I didn't really care for either. However, the second one is class.

119126[/snapback]

The first one should have been called Quite laid back Max...until the last ten minutes.

I watched Man On Fire last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I don't ever remember seeing it advertised or plugged when it was out at the cinema though  :D

119123[/snapback]

I enjoyed Man on Fire too.

Watched Requiem for a Dream yesterday. Jesus it was bleak viewing, but a good film. Well acted, but not one to watch if you're suicidal. :lol:

I watched Man On Fire last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I don't ever remember seeing it advertised or plugged when it was out at the cinema though  :D

119123[/snapback]

Watched Requiem for a Dream yesterday. Jesus it was bleak viewing, but a good film. Well acted, but not one to watch if you're suicidal. :lol:

119150[/snapback]

Depends who it is tbh.

GREAT film.

119123[/snapback]

119150[/snapback]

It looked good and that, but did you think bleakness was stupidly bleak? Fair enough to warn people against drugs but (***and there's spoilers coming up so look away if you ain't seen it***) EVERY one of the four users ends up such a horrific state it was just silly. Even if you get a canny strong drug dependency, doesn't mean you'll end up as bad as any one of them, to have all four plumb such depths spoiled it for me.

119123[/snapback]

119150[/snapback]

It looked good and that, but did you think bleakness was stupidly bleak? Fair enough to warn people against drugs but (***and there's spoilers coming up so look away if you ain't seen it***) EVERY one of the four users ends up such a horrific state it was just silly. Even if you get a canny strong drug dependency, doesn't mean you'll end up as bad as any one of them, to have all four plumb such depths spoiled it for me.

119164[/snapback]

Aye, I know what you mean but it didn't spoil it for me. I didn't really have much sympathy for the two male characters for some reason, but I felt awful for Jennifer Connelly's and Ellen Burstyn's.