Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

I wonder about the animosity toward Peter Jackson. Fair enough if you don't like the films, but they have their place and are very good at what they're meant to do.

They're kids books and films, and kids love them. In the same way George Lucas gets shite, Jackson is slagged off for inspiring bairns. Difference is, Jackson is still doing it on a budget too (none of the LOTR films cost more than $100M and every penny is on screen).

I'm no Jackson fanboy, but calling him a cunt when Michael Bay is still allowed to make films strikes me as grossly unfair.

Watched the LotR trilogy and fell asleep about 30 mins from the end of Return... Could never be arsed to watch that last half hour which says it all really. Haven't seen Heavenly Creatures but it's meant to be good. I quite like Kate Winslet.

141505[/snapback]

I thought the Fellowship of the ring was superb, but got bored during the two towers. He completely screwed up on the return of the king and despite massacreing the book's ending, and missing the entire point of the trilogy I thought, he still made it an hour too long! Jesus did cry at those numerous false endings.

141509[/snapback]

So although it was too long and there were too many endings, you wanted the scouring of the Shire (is that what it's called) in there too?

Moon on a stick!

Guest alex
Watched the LotR trilogy and fell asleep about 30 mins from the end of Return... Could never be arsed to watch that last half hour which says it all really. Haven't seen Heavenly Creatures but it's meant to be good. I quite like Kate Winslet.

141505[/snapback]

I thought the Fellowship of the ring was superb, but got bored during the two towers. He completely screwed up on the return of the king and despite massacreing the book's ending, and missing the entire point of the trilogy I thought, he still made it an hour too long! Jesus did cry at those numerous false endings.

141509[/snapback]

Would agree on the Fellowship like, very good - saw it at the flicks. What happens at the end then btw? I've read the book(s) and assumed it was the same.

141505[/snapback]

141509[/snapback]

So although it was too long and there were too many endings, you wanted the scouring of the Shire (is that what it's called) in there too?

Moon on a stick!

141513[/snapback]

Yes, I did want it in, because it was important imo - vital even. Things never returned to normal in the book in terms of soceity or on a personal level. But that's besides the point, what was left in was bloated shite, and his obsession with CGI special effects was all to clear. I'm not particularly interested in sitting through a 2 hour special effects scene thankyou very much. Kong was the same.

141505[/snapback]

141509[/snapback]

Would agree on the Fellowship like, very good - saw it at the flicks. What happens at the end then btw? I've read the book(s) and assumed it was the same.

141514[/snapback]

As HF said, the scouring of the Shire was omitted, which for me was a metaphor for the industrial revolution and the loss of an entire way of life - no going back. Not to mention the demise of Saruman. Alright, I may be talking bollocks and being over-harsh, but most people I know found the last film boring as fuck if they are honest about it.

I'm not particularly interested in sitting through a 2 hour special effects scene thankyou very much.

141521[/snapback]

So why did you go and watch 3 separate films with giant flaming monsters; walking, talking trees; a gollum, an army of dead people, massive cave monsters, a huge flaming eye and lots of other stuff you new about from the book?

What CGI was in there was very good, especially after the Fellowship.

141505[/snapback]

141509[/snapback]

141514[/snapback]

As HF said, the scouring of the Shire was omitted, which for me was a metaphor for the industrial revolution and the loss of an entire way of life - no going back. Not to mention the demise of Saruman.

141525[/snapback]

Nerd alert tbh.

Guest alex
Does Frodo fuck off west with the Elves though? :(

141526[/snapback]

You literally fell asleep? :(

Yes he does, in the 4th and final ending.

141529[/snapback]

Oh aye. Me and wor lass had borrowed it off her Dad and we both fell asleep at practically the same time. Neither of us could be arsed to watch it the last 30 minutes or so again despite having the DVD for weeks. Piss boring man :(

I'm not particularly interested in sitting through a 2 hour special effects scene thankyou very much.

141521[/snapback]

So why did you go and watch 3 separate films with giant flaming monsters; walking, talking trees; a gollum, an army of dead people, massive cave monsters, a huge flaming eye and lots of other stuff you new about from the book?

What CGI was in there was very good, especially after the Fellowship.

141527[/snapback]

*Sigh*

The battle scenes were overlong and drawn out to a ridiculous extent. Yes, of course the film needed CGI, but it should be used as a means to an end, not an ends to a mean. Or something. :(

I wonder about the animosity toward Peter Jackson.  Fair enough if you don't like the films, but they have their place and are very good at what they're meant to do.

They're kids books and films, and kids love them.  In the same way George Lucas gets shite, Jackson is slagged off for inspiring bairns.  Difference is, Jackson is still doing it on a budget too (none of the LOTR films cost more than $100M and every penny is on screen).

I'm no Jackson fanboy, but calling him a cunt when Michael Bay is still allowed to make films strikes me as grossly unfair.

141511[/snapback]

You're right, it's for kids, who gives a fuck whether we give them Barney or Sesame Street.

Oh aye. Me and wor lass had borrowed it off her Dad and we both fell asleep at practically the same time. Neither of us could be arsed to watch it the last 30 minutes or so again despite having the DVD for weeks. Piss boring man :(

141532[/snapback]

At least you were at home, the bird had to poke me as apparently I started snoring in the cinema, when we went to see the second. I didn't bother with the third.

141532[/snapback]

At least you were at home, the bird had to poke me as apparently I started snoring in the cinema, when we went to see the second. I didn't bother with the third.

141537[/snapback]

Back row?

141532[/snapback]

141537[/snapback]

I actually really tried to sleep watching Kong in the cinema, but the noise kept me awake.

141532[/snapback]

141537[/snapback]

Back row?

141542[/snapback]

I was going to make that joke but it doesn't work, unless she had a strap on.

141532[/snapback]

141537[/snapback]

Back row?

141542[/snapback]

I was going to make that joke but it doesn't work, unless she had a strap on.

141545[/snapback]

Finger tbh. Thumb if he was feeling accomodating.

Back row?

141542[/snapback]

And here's me accusing Alex of the obvious jokes. :(

Renton's obviously in the habit of removing potential partners' digits, I guess it gives him the upper hand.

Watched Saw 2 recently - it was alright, but fairly mindless tat.

Also saw King Kong on the plane - absolute pile of shit.  Seriously, it's complete rubbish.

On the plane back I saw Brokeback Mountain which was good and Match Point which was very mediocre.

141390[/snapback]

:(:(:(

It's a great film!

Saw 3 is out this halloween, apparently there's going to be even more gore...but I'm not entirely sure that'll be a good thing...hopefully they wont forgo the great script in favour of shock value.

My daughter had a day off school today so we watched Back to the Future and then Raiders of the lost ark, it was the first time she had seen either of them, clearly she gained far more from watching those than she could have from being at school today !

My daughter had a day off school today so we watched Back to the Future and then Raiders of the lost ark, it was the first time she had seen either of them, clearly she gained far more from watching those than she could have from being at school today !

141916[/snapback]

Excellent parenting. :nufc: