Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Finally gave Captain America: Civil war a go, heap of shite. At least I know not to bother with any of these until the next Guardians of the Galaxy. There's so many of them now and they keep bringing up stuff that happened in films I've either long forgotten about or don't care enough to watch, it's getting to be a commitment to follow the conversations of a daft action movie. Speaking of their conversations there were fucking millions of them, Downey Jr being all moody and boring, Chris Evans still pretending to be an actor, a bunch of heroes no one gives a rip about, and Paul Rudd trying his best to entertain people. 

There's a bloke in it no one apart from the ropey Olsen sister can even harm, he spends most of his time floating about but it always fucks me off when there's just a bloke that is just so far ahead of everyone else which is exactly why I don't bother at all with Superman. Oh aye and possibly the worst bad guy I've ever seen in a superhero movie, a suitably dog shit ending to top it all off. 

Finally gave Captain America: Civil war a go, heap of shite. At least I know not to bother with any of these until the next Guardians of the Galaxy. There's so many of them now and they keep bringing up stuff that happened in films I've either long forgotten about or don't care enough to watch, it's getting to be a commitment to follow the conversations of a daft action movie. Speaking of their conversations there were fucking millions of them, Downey Jr being all moody and boring, Chris Evans still pretending to be an actor, a bunch of heroes no one gives a rip about, and Paul Rudd trying his best to entertain people. 

There's a bloke in it no one apart from the ropey Olsen sister can even harm, he spends most of his time floating about but it always fucks me off when there's just a bloke that is just so far ahead of everyone else which is exactly why I don't bother at all with Superman. Oh aye and possibly the worst bad guy I've ever seen in a superhero movie, a suitably dog shit ending to top it all off.

Empire somehow have it as their favourite movie of the year so far. I think it's the worst film I've been to see this year.

Expecting it to be shit, to be honest. Will Smith is going to Will Smith his way through the movie and Batman v Superman didn't convince me that DC can handle ensemble movies in the same was as Joss Whedon did with Avengers and The Russo brothers with Captain America: Civil War. I'm expecting Exposition->Set Piece->Exposition->All seems lost->Set piece->Fin. Which is fine for a pulpy comic book movie if the characters are funny/sympathetic.

DC consistently fuck up the movie versions of their stable. These are fully fleshed out characters with rich and complex back stories stretching back decades. In Batman and Superman they have two of the most famous fictional characters of all time and yet when you see the latter on screen he's either a bumbling idiot or a scowling bore. Nolan made some cracking movies, but even his Batman was fairly 2 dimensional and it was in the villains that we got something interesting. 

When you compare them to the Marvel movies it's a stark contrast. Marvel Studios movies have a variety in tones, have some depth to their characters and yet still don't take themselves too seriously. Be it a heist movie (Antman), or the pseudo-thriller (Winter Soldier), irreverent slapstick (Deadpool) or the straight up Hollywood blockbuster (Avengers), there hasn't really been a true dud. There've been crimes committed in their name by other studios (the latest Fantastic 4 for example), but they've shown that if you trust the people who are conversant in the source material you'll get a product that, at the very least, appeals to and satisfies the nerd-crowd.

I am fully aware you don't care but I just needed to get that off my chest. This place is therapeutic. 

Called it.

Smith was actually all right, and Margot Robbie was good, but the storyline was a mess, the badguy was predictably terrible, and they obviously devolved into a CGI-monster mash for a bit as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if Robbie's Quinn gets a stand-alone movie, but it'd need to be R-rated. Will Smith's Deadshot could probably do ok in other movies, but he chewed his way through too much scenery so he'd either have to be the star or a cameo.

Empire somehow have it as their favourite movie of the year so far. I think it's the worst film I've been to see this year.

Go and watch Suicide Squad.

Aye I'd been put off by the last few super hero movies I'd seen and not enjoyed but as you say I'd seen reviews that said this one was good. There was just nowt interesting about it, even the fights were fucking shite, no peril at all as they all just felt invincible and I've no idea who I was supposed to be rooting for for the most part (I sided with Iron Man because I just cannot stand that Chris Evans). They must be laughing pumping out utter dross like this and making fortunes off the back of it.

Go and watch Suicide Squad.

I went to see Suicide squad last Sunday. It's poor in a lot of ways (well every way other than her arse) but I enjoyed it much more than Civil War. CW just bored me from the start until Spiderman came into it. It just wasn't fun. The writing in SS was awful but there was an element of fun to it.

Aye I'd been put off by the last few super hero movies I'd seen and not enjoyed but as you say I'd seen reviews that said this one was good. There was just nowt interesting about it, even the fights were fucking shite, no peril at all as they all just felt invincible and I've no idea who I was supposed to be rooting for for the most part (I sided with Iron Man because I just cannot stand that Chris Evans). They must be laughing pumping out utter dross like this and making fortunes off the back of it.

Spiderman was the only one worth rooting for. Deadpool is the only comic book film I've really enjoyed this year. The fact that there's been so many is a problem imo.

... that was the point.

I went to see Suicide squad last Sunday. It's poor in a lot of ways (well every way other than her arse) but I enjoyed it much more than Civil War. CW just bored me from the start until Spiderman came into it. It just wasn't fun. The writing in SS was awful but there was an element of fun to it.

Thought Cap-Civil War was superior in every facet bar one. Better writing, better story, better characters, better performances, better set-pieces, but the trailers for Suicide Squad were excellent.

They're just preying on people like Dave at this stage.

:lol:

By the way there was one bit I enjoyed, it's where Chris Evans mate is getting battered by Black Panther and starts legging it, it looked utterly fucking shite when they started running. The little laugh I got from how fucking ridiculous it looked when they were running was the highlight of the film. The other 15 hours of it were them discussing things that even they looked bored talking about.

... that was the point.

:lol: Seriously? So they made a movie whereby the audience was meant to be in complete indifference as to who come out on top, in fact you're spot on there was even a bit where Scarlett Johannson and Jeremy Renner packed in scrapping to discuss whether they were still friends :lol:. So you were meant to be in indifference until they showed off the big nasty bad guy who was in fact a regular bloke who outsmarted 'the smartest people on the planet' by exposing what a bunch of bellends they were for murdering innocent people by... well.... murdering a ton of innocent people. Utter Utter heap of shite. 

:lol: Seriously? So they made a movie whereby the audience was meant to be in complete indifference as to who come out on top, in fact you're spot on there was even a bit where Scarlett Johannson and Jeremy Renner packed in scrapping to discuss whether they were still friends :lol:. So you were meant to be in indifference until they showed off the big nasty bad guy who was in fact a regular bloke who outsmarted 'the smartest people on the planet' by exposing what a bunch of bellends they were for murdering innocent people by... well.... murdering a ton of innocent people. Utter Utter heap of shite. 

I can explain it if you like, but I'm fully aware that in so doing there'll be a good old chuckle at how a grown man likes comic books, either way I'm entertained. :lol:

Thought Cap-Civil War was superior in every facet bar one. Better writing, better story, better characters, better performances, better set-pieces, but the trailers for Suicide Squad were excellent.

It's just dull as fuck. It starts off with a big action scene (from memory) and I just found myself sitting in the theatre thinking this should be exciting but it's just boring me. Much the same as the second avengers film. The only films with Capt American in that I've enjoyed were the Winter Soldier and the first Avengers.

I agree in some ways with your point about the writing (in particular), story, characters etc but the film was less than the sum of its parts. I don't think SS is a good film by the way, I just thought there was more to enjoy in it. I've got no desire to watch either of them again though as I can just look at pictures of Margot Robie's arse on the internet without having to put up with the Fresh Prince.

I can explain it if you like, but I'm fully aware that in so doing there'll be a good old chuckle at how a grown man likes comic books, either way I'm entertained. :lol:

:lol: Nah it's okay, I've actually had it all explained to me as my lasses brother is into comic books I was just riling you up. From what he said the comic books did a way better job of it the movie was just utter dross, trying to create an emotional tie with a character about 3 minutes after being introduced to him was an example of this. They've just tried to make this whole thing a way bigger project than it ever could hope to be, I can't even imagine how much of a shit show this infinity war thing is going to be even at 3 hours long each character will have about 30 seconds of dialogue at this rate.

It's just dull as fuck. It starts off with a big action scene (from memory) and I just found myself sitting in the theatre thinking this should be exciting but it's just boring me. Much the same as the second avengers film. The only films with Capt American in that I've enjoyed were the Winter Soldier and the first Avengers.

I agree in some ways with your point about the writing (in particular), story, characters etc but the film was less than the sum of its parts. I don't think SS is a good film by the way, I just thought there was more to enjoy in it. I've got no desire to watch either of them again though as I can just look at pictures of Margot Robie's arse on the internet without having to put up with the Fresh Prince.

:dunno: To be honest I've watched movies after a ton of hype and found them disappointing, I've watched movies when I've not been in the mood for them and been bored. But on a second watch I've completely changed my mind.

I think for people who aren't interested in comic books and their characters, there's a bit of fatigue at the minute. I've been reading about these characters and their backstories for 15-20 years, you've probably only heard of Antman, Hawkeye and the Vision in the past 3 or 4. You're now being asked to give as much of a shit as me, or as your kids who're mostly just excited about the bangs and whistles.

Civil War is a good movie with some flaws,  but the curve it's being graded against is a steep one. Iron Man was a surprise success, cool, what's next? Hulk, Iron Man 2? Thor? Captain America? each fine, but will be repeated a lot on itv2 in a year or so. Then comes Avengers, which blows everything else out of the water and sets a new benchmark for the biggest Comicbook blockbusters. Now everything is up against that, even smaller features with a decent pedigree like Iron Man 3 suffers because the film that preceded it was so good, and so well received by critics, the audience and fanboys alike.

Obviously when each new character gets a movie and they're then shoe-horned into an ensemble movie which seems bloated. But if you're a fan, you know each character already so know the references they make even when they're castaway lines.

re: Howay's worry about Infinity War, it's a story over 2 movies and the majority of the characters will be relegated to cameos, at best. Some may only be seen on news channels in the background of an exposition scene.

:dunno: To be honest I've watched movies after a ton of hype and found them disappointing, I've watched movies when I've not been in the mood for them and been bored. But on a second watch I've completely changed my mind.

I think for people who aren't interested in comic books and their characters, there's a bit of fatigue at the minute. I've been reading about these characters and their backstories for 15-20 years, you've probably only heard of Antman, Hawkeye and the Vision in the past 3 or 4. You're now being asked to give as much of a shit as me, or as your kids who're mostly just excited about the bangs and whistles.

Civil War is a good movie with some flaws,  but the curve it's being graded against is a steep one. Iron Man was a surprise success, cool, what's next? Hulk, Iron Man 2? Thor? Captain America? each fine, but will be repeated a lot on itv2 in a year or so. Then comes Avengers, which blows everything else out of the water and sets a new benchmark for the biggest Comicbook blockbusters. Now everything is up against that, even smaller features with a decent pedigree like Iron Man 3 suffers because the film that preceded it was so good, and so well received by critics, the audience and fanboys alike.

Obviously when each new character gets a movie and they're then shoe-horned into an ensemble movie which seems bloated. But if you're a fan, you know each character already so know the references they make even when they're castaway lines.

re: Howay's worry about Infinity War, it's a story over 2 movies and the majority of the characters will be relegated to cameos, at best. Some may only be seen on news channels in the background of an exposition scene.

I've never had the dedication to comic books that you obviously have but I've been interested in them since I was a kid. I've read some of the bigger crossover stories (mainly DC ones like Death of Superman and Infinate Crisis), I watched the old X-Men and Spiderman cartoons (going back to the ones with Ice Man and Firestar) and I've probably seen all of the DC & Marvel films. I know who most of the character are, Vision was a new one on me but I had enough interest to look him up when he appeared in Age Of Ultron. So it's not that I lack the interest, I've actually been waiting for a lot of these movies for years (Green Lantern & X Men Apocalypse in paricular). But yes I think there is a bit of fatigue now as there's just so many of them and I find it a bit sad that Hollywood seems pretty incapable of making a blockbuster action film these days that isn't based on a comic book. A bit of variety would go a long way to keeping my interest.

But none of this changes that too many of these films (Hulk, Thor, Age Of Ultron, Captain America 1 & 3, Iron Man 2 & 3 etc etc) just aren't that great.

I've never had the dedication to comic books that you obviously have but I've been interested in them since I was a kid. I've read some of the bigger crossover stories (mainly DC ones like Death of Superman and Infinate Crisis), I watched the old X-Men and Spiderman cartoons (going back to the ones with Ice Man and Firestar) and I've probably seen all of the DC & Marvel films. I know who most of the character are, Vision was a new one on me but I had enough interest to look him up when he appeared in Age Of Ultron. So it's not that I lack the interest, I've actually been waiting for a lot of these movies for years (Green Lantern & X Men Apocalypse in paricular). But yes I think there is a bit of fatigue now as there's just so many of them and I find it a bit sad that Hollywood seems pretty incapable of making a blockbuster action film these days that isn't based on a comic book. A bit of variety would go a long way to keeping my interest.

But none of this changes that too many of these films (Hulk, Thor, Age Of Ultron, Captain America 1 & 3, Iron Man 2 & 3 etc etc) just aren't that great.

:dunno: There's been a couple of missteps, but I find there's generally redeeming features within them all and I like most of them and they certainly stand up well in comparison to other blockbusters. There's never going to be an Oscar winning performance in a Marvel movie (unless they take a more grounded tone like their Netflix shows), but I'm not settling down expecting that from Antman. Just action, laughter and performances that don't have me clawing at my eyes. At the very least there'll be a moment I can nerd-out over; Like a recreation of classic comic panels, or an easter egg or simply a recognisable line.

When they're up against the likes of the DC fuckups, the childhood ruining Turtles and Transformers movies, CGI monster-mashes like Warcraft, Pacific Rim or the rehashing of old ideas like the Jurassic Park & Independence Day sequels I'd pick a Marvel movie every time. 

:dunno: There's been a couple of missteps, but I find there's generally redeeming features within them all and I like most of them and they certainly stand up well in comparison to other blockbusters. There's never going to be an Oscar winning performance in a Marvel movie (unless they take a more grounded tone like their Netflix shows), but I'm not settling down expecting that from Antman. Just action, laughter and performances that don't have me clawing at my eyes. At the very least there'll be a moment I can nerd-out over; Like a recreation of classic comic panels, or an easter egg or simply a recognisable line.

When they're up against the likes of the DC fuckups, the childhood ruining Turtles and Transformers movies, CGI monster-mashes like Warcraft, Pacific Rim or the rehashing of old ideas like the Jurassic Park & Independence Day sequels I'd pick a Marvel movie every time.

I didn't mean to pick on Marvel there btw. SS is pretty poor, the latest Batman and Superman efforts have been pretty turgid, Wonder Woman looks uninspiring and worst of all Green Lantern was a massive let down. And both comics have had successes, there's at least four X Men films I've really enjoyed, the Nolan Batman films were brilliant, the first Spiderman, Iron Man, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool are all really good. I actually thought Antman was pretty entertaining too. And yes all those other films you mention are pretty bad too.

None of this improves Civil War though which was just a disapointing film. Especially coming on the back of the best Capt America film.

I didn't mean to pick on Marvel there btw. SS is pretty poor, the latest Batman and Superman efforts have been pretty turgid, Wonder Woman looks uninspiring and worst of all Green Lantern was a massive let down. And both comics have had successes, there's at least four X Men films I've really enjoyed, the Nolan Batman films were brilliant, the first Spiderman, Iron Man, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool are all really good. I actually thought Antman was pretty entertaining too. And yes all those other films you mention are pretty bad too.

None of this improves Civil War though which was just a disapointing film. Especially coming on the back of the best Capt America film.

Oh I wasn't sticking up for Marvel out of some loyalty, I just think that Marvel Studios have, on the whole, got it right more often than DC.

Surprised you didn't enjoy Civil War, but horses for courses and that. 

Oh I wasn't sticking up for Marvel out of some loyalty, I just think that Marvel Studios have, on the whole, got it right more often than DC.

Surprised you didn't enjoy Civil War, but horses for courses and that.

I agree Marvel get right more than DC which is disapointing for me because X Men aside, I generally have a preference for DC. DC have had the greatest success for my money with the Nolan films but have also probably had the biggest failures. I think Superman is a very difficult character to get right because he's just too fucking powerful. Whereas Batman should be a bit easier since he has no real powers of his own. Getting good people in to make the films obviously helps.