Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

I agree Marvel get right more than DC which is disapointing for me because X Men aside, I generally have a preference for DC. DC have had the greatest success for my money with the Nolan films but have also probably had the biggest failures. I think Superman is a very difficult character to get right because he's just too fucking powerful. Whereas Batman should be a bit easier since he has no real powers of his own. Getting good people in to make the films obviously helps.

The superman films tend to focus on him defeating someone using brute strength, which is dull as fuck. I thought Man of Steel should have been him finding his feet and learning that he can be Clark Kent and the hero he wants to be. Those clips of him saving people at an oil rig, or ruining a truck could have been the whole movie, ending with him rescuing a bunch of people from a natural disaster. And that's when Zod's ship turns up. 2nd movie we've got a firmly established Hero that the planet has to weigh up whether or not he's worth the arseache Zod gives them, then he trashes the city to take Zod down amid arguments about whether he's dangerous or not which can bring Batfleck & Lex Luthor into the universe. Then when the titular characters fight in BvS, Superman doesn't need montages of him saving people to remind the viewer he's a good guy because that was done in the 1st movie, Lex Luthor's plan has been in play for part of the 2nd movie, Wonder Woman can be introduced and the Justice League movie can be set up.

It's Fish's lass I feel sorry for.

Her life is sunshine and lollipops, I wouldn't worry about her.

It's just dull as fuck. It starts off with a big action scene (from memory) and I just found myself sitting in the theatre thinking this should be exciting but it's just boring me. Much the same as the second avengers film. The only films with Capt American in that I've enjoyed were the Winter Soldier and the first Avengers.

I agree in some ways with your point about the writing (in particular), story, characters etc but the film was less than the sum of its parts. I don't think SS is a good film by the way, I just thought there was more to enjoy in it. I've got no desire to watch either of them again though as I can just look at pictures of Margot Robie's arse on the internet without having to put up with the Fresh Prince.

Avengers 2 was a massive let down after the excellent Avengers Assemble.

Guardians and Winter Soldier were top notch but they are just saturating the cinema with spin-offs and and side stories these days.  I think the Superhero trend has peaked and will be on a downward spiral. Just as the hapless DC are pushing their universe. Classic.

Avengers 2 was a massive let down after the excellent Avengers Assemble.

Guardians and Winter Soldier were top notch but they are just saturating the cinema with spin-offs and and side stories these days.  I think the Superhero trend has peaked and will be on a downward spiral. Just as the hapless DC are pushing their universe. Classic.

I think the slated Marvel movies will be the end of the wave, but there'll always be a market for big budget Superhero movies so while there won't be 3 or 4 Marvel movies a year, there'll still be at least one every year or so. They might pivot to their Netflix shows and expand that side of the universe. If fantasy shows like Game of Thrones can be a critical and financial success, plus the success of Daredevil & Jessica Jones there's a platform for the genre.

Or like westerns the entire genre will disappear.

I hope so because it's boring as fuck.

Westerns haven't disappeared. 

Just curious, which blockbusters have you enjoyed?

They could make some superb movies in superhero themes if they abandoned 12A ratings and just went for 15s and 18s, IMO. The narratives they're able to tell simply aren't compelling when you've got to make sure that all the small kids watching it aren't going to be too scared to buy the associated merchandise.

That said, Deadpool was an overhyped letdown so I don't think that's the way to do it.

I think the real question though, is what they're going to be replaced with when they go. The world will still need big budget action movies.

They could make some superb movies in superhero themes if they abandoned 12A ratings and just went for 15s and 18s, IMO. The narratives they're able to tell simply aren't compelling when you've got to make sure that all the small kids watching it aren't going to be too scared to buy the associated merchandise.

That said, Deadpool was an overhyped letdown so I don't think that's the way to do it.

I think the real question though, is what they're going to be replaced with when they go. The world will still need big budget action movies.

I think Deadpool, for all it's flaws, proved that an R-rated superhero movie can still be a financial success. There are some characters that don't lend themselves to that rating (Spiderman, Superman, IronMan etc.) but others like Punisher, Suicide Squad, Lobo absolutely do. Even characters who, in the ensemble movies have to tone it down could have R-rated franchises of their own. Wolverine, Winter Soldier, Deadshot etc.

We might go back to disaster movies? Or Sci-Fi although that's already happening with Star Wars & Star Trek. The former is owned by Disney and has comics released under the Marvel imprint so does it count as a comicbook movie?.

I'd love a return to the adventure movies of the 80s like Spielberg tried with Super 8, but not sure if that films tepid reception has put studios off further projects in that area.

I've wondered if we're going to get feminist 're-imaginings' of classic films next. Ghost busters and arguably star wars hit that note. I think I saw that Splash is being remade with a gender role reversal?

Not saying it's wrong in theory, but it'd probably just be a cynical way for movie studios to cash in on their IP once more.

Westerns haven't disappeared.

Just curious, which blockbusters have you enjoyed?

Westerns used to be the staple film genre, they're quite thin on the ground now comparatively.

I'm not going to like or dislike a film because it's a "blockbuster". Personally I enjoy films with good plots, strong acting, good dialogue, and a bit of intellectual and emotional intelligence. Sex and gore are non-mandatory extras.

There's no reason a superhero film can't be all of these things I suppose. There's fantasy and sci fi films that have previously ticked the boxes for me. But unfortunately no superhero film has ever done it imo. The only comic book film I've seen which I thought was great in its own right was Sin City, but I guess that is more film noire. I've enjoyed the odd superhero film on a very superficial level only. I'd say the it's obvious why they have child friendly ratings, the content is for kids.

Did you see Watchmen? I would have thought that was quite strong based on the criteria you're talking about - although it does try to achieve an awful lot in a fairly short space of time.

Did you see Watchmen? I would have thought that was quite strong based on the criteria you're talking about - although it does try to achieve an awful lot in a fairly short space of time.

No. Admittedly I haven't seen a lot of Fish's collection due to lack of interest in kids films. ;)

Westerns used to be the staple film genre, they're quite thin on the ground now comparatively.

I'm not going to like or dislike a film because it's a "blockbuster". Personally I enjoy films with good plots, strong acting, good dialogue, and a bit of intellectual and emotional intelligence. Sex and gore are non-mandatory extras.

There's no reason a superhero film can't be all of these things I suppose. There's fantasy and sci fi films that have previously ticked the boxes for me. But unfortunately no superhero film has ever done it imo. The only comic book film I've seen which I thought was great in its own right was Sin City, but I guess that is more film noire. I've enjoyed the odd superhero film on a very superficial level only. I'd say the it's obvious why they have child friendly ratings, the content is for kids.

Well not really, they have child friendly ratings because the studios believe that they can make more money selling to a huge market (PG), than they can a restricted one (R/18). It's marketed towards kids because they can sell cartoons, toys, t-shirts, mugs, games off the back of them, and they won't get the same revenue streams from an 18. To dismiss comicbook movies' content as "for kids" is a bit silly given the themes and tone of quite a lot of the medium. The backstories of a lot of the heroes are bleak and many of the characters are damaged & conflicted. However, they wear spandex and punch their problems in the mouth, so I'm not going to bother trying to convince you that there's depth to them if you choose to read more about them.

In your 2nd sentence you describe what you want from a movie. The factors you're after aren't likely to be in an action movie, let alone a comicbook movie. They're going to be in a Mike Leigh movie. I don't understand complaining that Captain America: the First Avenger isn't as worthy and cerebral as something like Tyrannosaur, of course it's not. :lol:

Bad Boys III is pre-production, as if Fast & Furious 8, I'm sure there'll be emotional intelligence in them ;)

I think Renton would like the comic if he read it. But he won't. 

No. Admittedly I haven't seen a lot of Fish's collection due to lack of interest in kids films. ;)

:lol:

It has all the criteria you've suggested you'd like in a film, is all I'm saying. It's also not a 12A.

god, i couldn't stand there will be blood. the most indulgent, affected and hammy performance yet from day lewis, who has been turd in everyfilm he has made since in the name of the father

The best bit. Especially the cut to credits. Makes me want to stand and applaud.

just awful man. i used like day lewis but he's so affected in his own pomposity now. the king of ham. hated him in gangs of new york too.