Allan Saint-Maximin

Anorthernsoul

ASM is done here. He just isn't good enough for the level we want to be at and play the system Howe wants to play. 

He thinks he's up there with Messi etc. Being able to dribble past 4 players and score wonder goals or flick and amazing pass creating a goal where all the commentators talk about is him. 

I do agree that he’s trying to adapt. At least in terms of his decision making and you can see it’s going against his natural instinct. Second guessing himself in possession, not sure whether to dribble or pass etc. At the same time though, that’s not really much of a defence for him in terms of a case for his starting more or having a future here beyond the summer. Quite the opposite in fact 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ewerk said:

Nah, he was on course to run 10.3km.

it must have been the athletic podcast where I misheard that stat. 

full piece Here

it’s an interesting read. ASM is saying all the right things. He’s seemingly trying to adapt his game too but the same old frustrations remain.

I’m caught somewhere between wykiki and fish on this. Not ASM’s biggest fan but not ready to give up on him entirely.

On the one hand it’s harsh to judge him on his first start since early autumn where he only lasted an hour. He has looked lively in recent cameos off the bench particularly against Southampton when he won the penalty.

But Wykiki’s got a point about whether he will ever fit into the way Howe wants to play. Gordon looked so much better in that regard on Saturday and he only played 20 odd minutes.

If Maxi could adapt his game he could become a massive player for us but by trying to do that, he compromises the part of his game that makes him dangerous while not executing the pressing stuff Howe wants him to do particularly well.

He hasn’t got long left to show he can do it. I think he will play lots of games for us between now and the end of the season. I hope he steps up because he will

be away in the summer if not. He’s one of the few players we could get £40m for. 

• Like 2

Aye, I definitely think we could get £30m+ for him from a mid table team. We bought him for £20m and in the summer he'll be 2/3 of the way through his contract so has an accounting value of £6.6m. 

Selling him for £30m would see a profit of £23.7m booked which would actually immediately free up £118m to spend immediately on players on five year contracts.

So as the most valuable asset we have that we wouldn't mind losing I think he'll be on the move.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Alex said:

He’ll leave for about half that 

Aye, I can't see us getting more than £20m for him. £40m is pie in the sky IYAM.

19 minutes ago, Craig said:

Aye, I can't see us getting more than £20m for him. £40m is pie in the sky IYAM.

I don't see why. ASM is very good at what he does, he was invaluable to us at times under Bruce. It's not that he's completely shite, he just doesn't suit the way we play nowadays.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

That was his release clause

yeah and we were prepared to pay it because we were desperate for a striker but it highlights the insanity in the market. Players far poorer than ASM have gone for more than £30m. We got that much for Perez and that was four years ago or so.

I’d echo what ewerk said. It may be that ASM no longer fits here because of the way Howe wants us to play but he’s one of our few saleable assets, he is still a good age and would be highly sought after if decide to let him go. 

33 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

we paid £25m for Chris Wood 

Because it was a release clause. If we had a £40m release clause for ASM and someone was willing to pay it, we'd get that much for him. 

I strong suspect the answer is 'no' to both points. 

£20-25m I think would be good business for him. 

1 minute ago, Craig said:

Because it was a release clause. If we had a £40m release clause for ASM and someone was willing to pay it, we'd get that much for him. 

I strong suspect the answer is 'no' to both points. 

£20-25m I think would be good business for him. 

I’d be amazed if we let him go for as little as that given how inflated the market is. It’s more or less what we paid for him and he has proved to be a dangerous attacking player in the PL since then and is coming into his prime years. 

I guess we might see who is right in the summer 

Conversely, I'd be amazed if we managed to get anything over that for him.

We see two different players. I see someone who shines in a poor side but is largely obscure in a decent team. He undoubtedly has flair but it comes across to me that it's the primary aspect to his game - it's no exaggeration that he seems to take on the same player 2-3 times in the same move. The fact he's only started 6 out of 28 games this is season is also very telling. 

10 minutes ago, Craig said:

We see two different players. I see someone who shines in a poor side 

And that's exactly who is going to buy him, it isn't going to be a top side. It's someone who is looking for him to perform the same role he did for us for a couple of years.

• Like 1

Just now, ewerk said:

And that's exactly who is going to buy him, it isn't going to be a top side. It's someone who is looking for him to perform the same role he did for us for a couple of years.

Agreed, but not for £40m IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Craig said:

Conversely, I'd be amazed if we managed to get anything over that for him.

We see two different players. I see someone who shines in a poor side but is largely obscure in a decent team. He undoubtedly has flair but it comes across to me that it's the primary aspect to his game - it's no exaggeration that he seems to take on the same player 2-3 times in the same move. The fact he's only started 6 out of 28 games this is season is also very telling. 

i'm not sure how you reached that conclusion. i already said a few posts back that he has struggled to adapt to howe's style. but his lack of game time is also because he has struggled for fitness. as far as i can tell, we're disagreeing over the fee we might get for him. 

he is a player that can be dangerous if a team set up to play to his strengths - as we did under bruce when the whole game plan was pretty much defend deep than get it to maxi. there are plenty of "low block" sides who would play a premium for a player like maxi. whether he has a future with us remains to be seen. if a chunky offer comes in, i think we could let him go.

it's also worth remembering that he started the season very well for us. he was being picked every game and didn't lose a match before his injury. he was man of the match against man city and tore kyle walker a new arsehole for most of the game. he also scored a worldie against wolves to secure a draw. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’d be amazed if we let him go for as little as that given how inflated the market is. It’s more or less what we paid for him and he has proved to be a dangerous attacking player in the PL since then and is coming into his prime years. 

I guess we might see who is right in the summer 

You might be right on the fee tbh and prices are crazy. But (assuming we were ok with his leaving) then I think 20-25m would be accepted. I think it would be more important from a ffp pov to shift him when the chance arises than to hold out for another 5-10m in transfer fees that might never come 

• Like 1

Maxi is just one of those text book mercurial French wingers :lol:

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he puts in another sloppy display against Bournemouth but then grabs the winner then puts in a world class performance against Liverpool as he did against Man City. That’s just who he is. He’s the sort of player who polarises fans and drives managers nuts. 

Does he have a long term future with our methodical new manager? I wouldn’t bet on it. I do think he’ll stick with him for the next couple of games though 

Edited by Dr Gloom