Allan Saint-Maximin

Anorthernsoul

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I don’t see how Wilson stay in tbh. He’s in terrible form. I love him, he’s a class player but something isn’t right. He’s nowhere near his usual energy levels. Lacks his normal pressing intensity, isn’t getting in behind. I don’t know what’s up with him. Howe said he was recovering from a bad virus post-world cup didn’t he? 

I get that. I think Howe’s rationale might be that Wilson has another week to get more fit. On top of that Isak and ASM on the bench gives fantastic options from the bench. The changes in the amount of subs allowed has made it even more of a squad game than ever. I think Isak is absolutely going to be a regular starter soon though 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Shout out to the mercurial French winger.

ASM gets the Gloom seal of approval for that cameo against Southampton.

Looks like the penny might have finally dropped. I liked how he again played the easy ball when it was on then chose the right moment to go on a dribble.

He’s played his way back in the side for me. We looked SO much better after he came on. 

Drop Willock or Joelinton?

1 minute ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Having said that Wilson is looking worse than Wood atm. He seems to running with Lee Clarke's boots

He's not running the channels, he's rarely coming deep to collect. He seems to be playing more and more like a targetman, when he just isn't that kind of player. 

Isak had more touches in 25 minutes than Wilson did in 67. 

ASM did too.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Drop Longstaff and play bigJ deeper

Longstaff does more defensive work than Willock, I'm not letting you drop Sean.

• Like 1

I’ll trust the people making the decisions if it happens. However it could easily be a case of a journalist putting 2 and 2 together without any basis beyond us being in for Gordon. It’s silly season season for speculation 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

How does that negotiation go...

Ashworth: "If Chris makes 10 appearances there's an obligation to purchase for 15m"

NFFC: "Agreed" *under breath* "and we get Saint-Maximin included"

AshworthFrancesco Totti Smile GIF by AS Roma

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/10/2021 at 12:55, The Fish said:

Don't think we can be 100% certain on our opinions of what players can and can't do until we see them with a competent manager at the helm. If Lewis gets some coaching he might be a decent Left Back. Almiron might return to the kind of performances we saw under Benitez. Saint Maximin might be utilised in such a way as to allow him freedom without asking any tracking back from him.

Hell,  Joelinton might be a useful player in the right system, for all we know.

2/4 ain't bad

• Like 2

I’ve been thinking more about the ASM conundrum. It’s all the podcasters have been talking about this week. 

It was tempting to say he doesn’t have a future at the club after Saturday. What an opportunity wasted to make a statement and show the manager he deserves to start.

Howe rightly hooked him after an hour. He could have subbed him at half time and there would have been few complaints.

But now the dust has settled, I think it’s premature to suggest his career here is over. It’s his first start for about 5 months. And in his defence I don’t think paying Burn behind him is going to get the best out of him. He needs an overlapping full back to help create space for him. Joelinton compliments Burn better on the left because of the ground he covers. 

It’s disappointing that his opportunity has come at Bruno’s expense because he will love playing with him. Bruno makes everyone look better. He also showed signs of a good understanding with Isak in previous appearances. 

The problem he has is Gordon made such a big impression in his cameo. But Miggy has gone off the boil recently too and should also be looking over his shoulder. 

I think Howe will start ASM again against Bournemouth. It’s not his style to drop someone after one game and he’ll still want to slowly introduce Gordon as he has with other big signings. It’s up to ASM now. He can be part of something big here if he want to be.   

• Like 1

There was an interesting on screen stat during the match showing that most of our attacks were going down the right rather than the left or middle. A big reason for that is Trippier. I’m not saying that ASM was terribly hard done by but if we had a LB in the Trippier mould then ASM would have had more joy.

29 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

And in his defence I don’t think paying Burn behind him is going to get the best out of him. He needs an overlapping full back to help create space for him.

I didn't see the game in question but having seen plenty of ASM before, is this really the case?

ASMs trick is that he can dribble and work space for himself, he loves to do it in fact, he wants to take everyone on.

He also doesn't track back so if he gets his overlapping attacking fullback, the overlap happens, he doesn't pass because hes doing his thing and then loses the ball, we've then got no one defending the left flank.

I feel like ASM only works with a Burn behind him. The other option being a genetic freak of a LB who can charge up and down at rapid pace all game and is also a mint defender or setting up the entire team to facilitate ASMs lack of defending in such a way that he simply hasn't earned with end product.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, ewerk said:

There was an interesting on screen stat during the match showing that most of our attacks were going down the right rather than the left or middle. A big reason for that is Trippier. I’m not saying that ASM was terribly hard done by but if we had a LB in the Trippier mould then ASM would have had more joy.

he was apparently also on course to cover more km than anyone else in the team based in his 60 minutes, which I found hard to believe, and also made theee tackles, more than anyone else on the side.  

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

He was on course to cover more ground than he has since the start of last season. I haven’t seen anything that says he was running more than anyone else in the team.

someone in one of the podcasts (true faith maybe or the athletic, I think) said he was on course to run 13km or something which would have been more even than longstaff. Not sure where they got the stats from