Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Well my eldest has to isolate now after a positive case in his class. It seems to be rife. Also staff absence rates in the Newcastle hospital trust are at their highest ever levels. Johnson’s played another blinder 

My lass works for one of the trusts and she’s absolutely sick at the minute, like. Rafts of people off and absolutely no help or support incoming, it seems.

• Like 1

Both my kids have been isolating this week, the eldest missed out on birthday celebrations because of it. 
Her school have closed down her entire year group due to positive pupil cases and staff absences. 
Same with the youngest. 

It’s fucking rife, but let’s crack and get Covid done, eh Johnson? 

How the fuck did this bellend get anywhere near a position of power in the first place? 

• Like 2

Serious question I know most of us are double jabbed here. But how comfortable are you going to be when July 19th comes & we're having anywhere between 50 & 100k new  infections a day. Obviously its about being sensible, but there's going to be an awful lot of people that once Boris opens the floodgates they're going to think that's covid done. 

Good friend of mines is really ill with it just now. 35, otherwise pretty fit an healthy. Small group of folk he had over on Saturday have all since had positive tests too.

Cunts a barman in a small town too. Good chance he's passed it on to plenty other folk. 

20 minutes ago, trooper said:

Serious question I know most of us are double jabbed here. But how comfortable are you going to be when July 19th comes & we're having anywhere between 50 & 100k new  infections a day. Obviously its about being sensible, but there's going to be an awful lot of people that once Boris opens the floodgates they're going to think that's covid done. 

I'm not scared about getting seriously ill or dying any more, but would be wary of getting fairly unpleasantly ill and/or having to self isolate. Worried for my wife and kids a bit. But most worried about where and how this will end. I'm constantly labelled the pessimist on here but I never thought we'd be in this position a year ago. 

7 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Good friend of mines is really ill with it just now. 35, otherwise pretty fit an healthy. Small group of folk he had over on Saturday have all since had positive tests too.

Cunts a barman in a small town too. Good chance he's passed it on to plenty other folk. 

Shit, sorry to hear that. Aye, bar staff are spreading it pretty badly I reckon.  Yesterday will have done a lot of damage.

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I'm not scared about getting seriously ill or dying any more, but would be wary of getting fairly unpleasantly ill and/or having to self isolate. Worried for my wife and kids a bit. But most worried about where and how this will end. I'm constantly labelled the pessimist on here but I never thought we'd be in this position a year ago. 

I thought if we waited till everyone was fully vaccinated before fully opening up the virus would be so diminished it would be all but over. 

A few weeks ago considering the percentage of cases which were the old variant that scenario was on track.

Then the Johnson variant arrived and fucked everyone's arses again. The tories choice of date removed any chance of lube for this bumming. 

As Renton says fear of death has reduced but its the opportunity for mutations that scares me. 

51 minutes ago, NJS said:

I thought if we waited till everyone was fully vaccinated before fully opening up the virus would be so diminished it would be all but over. 

A few weeks ago considering the percentage of cases which were the old variant that scenario was on track.

Then the Johnson variant arrived and fucked everyone's arses again. The tories choice of date removed any chance of lube for this bumming. 

As Renton says fear of death has reduced but its the opportunity for mutations that scares me. 

Another variant with an even higher R rate than delta I think will make herd immunity impossible. As it is, we are easily on course for 1000 admissions every day in a month or two. Not as high as the peak certainly but enough to fairly fuck up the NHS logistics I would think. Mortality is low but increasing at 50% per week now. Genuinely hate what Johnson did. And to hear his pathetic replies in PMQs about the vaccine programme only being possible because of Brexit, the lying cunt. He is going to completely fuck this country, with the country's consent. Utter madness. 

• Like 1

At no time since this all started have I heard of as many folks I know catching this bastard as I do just now. 

But yeah let’s open everything up 🙄

26 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

At no time since this all started have I heard of as many folks I know catching this bastard as I do just now. 

But yeah let’s open everything up 🙄

I know loads of double jabbed people who have caught symptomatic disease. Also a lot of people who have caught it twice. Not surprising considering the soaring prevalence rates I guess. 

bloke i work with's little girl caught it at nursery, she only had a snotty nose so they thought nothing of it until his mrs came down with a fever and cough. they're both isolating in his loft room now while he tries to work and look after their new-born baby. he's double jabbed and so far testing negative but sounds like a total nightmare 

Keeping an active asymptomatic 10 year old cooped up for 10 days is billocks like. I cannot understand why she can't go outside just for a walk. Asymptomatic people don't spread it much (except close contact) and outdoors is supposed to be safe. The harm this is doing to her outweighs the tiny harms to society imo.

I got some lateral flow tests but have decided to bin them. Cos as far as I can tell, if she tests positive on that, she needs a PCR test, and if that's positive,  the whole family has to self isolate from that point, which means I miss my holiday, the only thing I've been looking forward to. But if she's negative, it makes bot all difference, she still has to self isolate. So where's the incentive? It's fucking ridiculous. 

Just let her go for a walk then. Like you say, common sense tells you she's not gonna pass it on even if she has it, which is unlikely. My wife has been self isolating, went for a negative PCR, and she's definitely taken liberties with the strict definition of self isolating, cos why the fuck should she be confined to the house when she doesn't have it. 

• Like 1

Don’t follow the rules to the letter imo, Renton. Exercise common sense. There’s absolutely no problem with her going out for walks etc. It’s about minimising the risk of transmitting the disease. Going to a fucking heaving pub tomorrow night to watch the match is fine apparently so your daughter going to the beach or the park is absolutely harmless 

Daughter's boyfriend had it and isolation finishes on Sunday so he'll be ok to go back out on Monday. Is he going to stay in on Sunday with a few hours to go to the official all clear when he's 19 and England are playing Italy in the final of the European championship? I'd say let her go outside, Renton and let her/you use common sense.

1 minute ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Everyone that criticised restrictions easing now telling Renton to manage his own risk and ignore restrictions. Basically what I got called a wum for saying

I suppose it depends what she's doing and if she's symptomatic? It sounds as though she's just going outside for a bit?

I agree common sense wise, and I will probably have to relent,, because she does have mild behavioural issues. But I live in a village where everyone knows everyone, well parents of school kids do anyway. The letter from the school was pretty clear, it's a criminal offence to take her out. With my wife being a solicitor, if in the extremely unlikely situation we were reported and fined, we'd lose a livelihood. 

Oh aye .I see there's going to be an exemption for NHS staff now, out of pure necessity, because it makes absolutely no logical sense. I was also reading that apparently the government's projections for admissions are likely to be wrong by three fold. Hospitals run at near capacity all the time, so this will put them over the edge and stop normal services again, with an already massive backlog. I'm not being pessimistic or negative here, just pointing out the reality of where we now are. Worse than last year imo. 

37 minutes ago, Renton said:

I agree common sense wise, and I will probably have to relent,, because she does have mild behavioural issues. But I live in a village where everyone knows everyone, well parents of school kids do anyway. The letter from the school was pretty clear, it's a criminal offence to take her out. With my wife being a solicitor, if in the extremely unlikely situation we were reported and fined, we'd lose a livelihood. 

Oh aye .I see there's going to be an exemption for NHS staff now, out of pure necessity, because it makes absolutely no logical sense. I was also reading that apparently the government's projections for admissions are likely to be wrong by three fold. Hospitals run at near capacity all the time, so this will put them over the edge and stop normal services again, with an already massive backlog. I'm not being pessimistic or negative here, just pointing out the reality of where we now are. Worse than last year imo. 

Drive somewhere and go for a walk there. Paint both of your faces with full St George's Crosses as well so no one can recognise you. That'll be bang up your street, especially this weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Drive somewhere and go for a walk there. Paint both of your faces with full St George's Crosses as well so no one can recognise you. That'll be bang up your street, especially this weekend. 

They'll arrest him just for being English, man! Just say that you're both Islamic, immigrant, lesbian wimmins and they might even get you a house these days. 

• Haha 4