Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Surprised he actually announced that. Although he only did so when asked and didn’t go into the details. I would imagine lots of people won’t bother and it’ll go completely unchallenged but it’s welcome I suppose 

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

This is the same bloke who refused to follow guidance to wear a mask when he was at the theatre last week. 

See how the PM not doing the simple things like setting an example can come back to bite you. 

He's an absolute toss pot "Do as I say not as I do"

27 minutes ago, NJS said:

We've moved to going to the office two days a week and I confess to finding it tough - without wanting extra suffering I hope they mandate home working again soon. 

They’ve done that over here and it’s been mostly ignored. My wife works for local government and they’ve been instructed that nothing is changing.

Aye, when the bloke telling you to wear a mask at the supermarket and on the metro etc. couldn’t even be arsed to wear one when visiting a hospital the message does lose a lot of its impact. Also his assurance Xmas is going to be better than last year (not that I really understand the obsession with what Xmas is going to be like, coming from adults) makes me think we’ll be in lockdown by then. Or some half-hearted version of lockdown. Apparently most of the Cabinet thought it was done and dusted when cases temporarily started to fall last month. If these cunts can get it wrong, they’ll somehow find a way. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Aye, when the bloke telling you to wear a mask at the supermarket and on the metro etc. couldn’t even be arsed to wear one when visiting a hospital the message does lose a lot of its impact. Also his assurance Xmas is going to be better than last year (not that I really understand the obsession with what Xmas is going to be like, coming from adults) makes me think we’ll be in lockdown by then. Or some half-hearted version of lockdown. Apparently most of the Cabinet thought it was done and dusted when cases temporarily started to fall last month. If these cunts can get it wrong, they’ll somehow find a way. 

This. I don't think the new variant has enough time to "ruin Christmas" which as you point out, is hardly important anyway. The timing is such that it could cause massive problem in January and February though, if it does prove to be significantly vaccine evading. The cumulative effect of this virus on our healthcare system is getting worse all the time  

• Like 1

Is this not where natural immunity trumps vaccine? As it targets more than the spike protein and is likely more an immunity to more recent strains. Our case numbers have been consistent in the 10s of thousands a day for a while now. There'll be loads of natural immunity in the population?

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

1 minute ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Is this not where natural immunity trumps vaccine? As it targets more than the spike protein and is likely more an immunity to more recent strains. Our case numbers have been consistent in the 10s of thousands a day for a while now. There'll be loads of natural immunity in the population?

The voice of wrong

• Like 1
  • Jaysus... 1

You get a broader immune response after being infected with the virus than vaccination.

Whether you've had Moderna or Pfizer or Oxford-AstraZeneca, your body is learning to spot just one thing - the spike protein.

This is the critical part of the virus to make antibodies to, and the results - by keeping most out of hospital - have been spectacular.

But having the other 28 proteins to target too, would give T-cells far more to go at.

"That means if you had a real humdinger of an infection, you may have better immunity to any new variants that pop up as you have immunity to more than just spike," said Prof Riley.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Well I go for a pub lunch with my elderly widowed Grandmother every year and couldn't last year, or even be in the same room as her. She sat in and ate hers on her own. So aye, I know you're angry over there on the far left but Christmas isn't just for kids.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

11 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Well I go for a pub lunch with my elderly widowed Grandmother every year and couldn't last year, or even be in the same room as her. She sat in and ate hers on her own. So aye, I know you're angry over there on the far left but Christmas isn't just for kids.

Well maybe the last 18 months or so have taught you that you should try and see her more than once a year in future. 

Because we can all play at deliberate misinterpretation to try and wind people up and score points. Once again though, I’m probably guilty of giving you too much credit. Now go and tidy your bedroom 

Just now, Alex said:

Well maybe the last 18 months or so have taught you that you should try and see her more than once a year in future. 

Because we can all play at deliberate misinterpretation to try and wind people up and score points. Once again though, I’m probably guilty of giving you too much credit. Now go and tidy your bedroom 

Deliberate misinterpretation? I thought it was quite clear what you were saying. That Christmas is for kids and readers of The Mail and The Sun.