The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

The Mail are reporting that it's Spurs who are the London based team after Carlos. The only things we have going for us is likely the fact that we can offer more wages, and are more advanced in discussions with Sevilla and the player. As bad as Spuds have been they can still boast Conte as manager, and have the advantage of being based in London which a lot of players see as attractive. 

34 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I agree. But we are also in a position where we need players in. They know that too. 

Right, so it's a balancing act. They can't just wade into the window spaffing tens of millions around willynilly, if they do, they'll be overpaying for everyone forever. They'll also get fucked by FFP.

So they have to weigh the cost/benefit of every transfer. Signing Diego Carlos for £80m will not guarantee survival, and it will mean that they'd be expected to pay millions more on Botman, on Zapata, on whomever else they're interested in. Every agent will be expecting phat percentages, every player will expect phat wages. 

Yes, we will have to pay more, but they shouldn't be idiotic just to pacify a panicky fanbase.

6 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

:lol: It's fucking painful like.  Easier when we knew we weren't going to sign anyone.

It's Hobsons coice tbh.  Even players 4th or 5th down the list that would still improve our squad like we will have to pay a premium.  Like Howay says, we have fuck all leverage. It's a sellars market in Jan.  Always has been.

image.jpeg.6356b2e5342600dbc80136f3d829f347.jpeg

• Haha 3

Optimistic has become the new getting one over the line unfortunately. Although in fairness we should remember that there's still 11 days left in the window, and a lot of stuff gets done in the final few days. 

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Be mint if Lingard deal moves really quickly and we've got him here tomorrow morning, pants down, getting his bollocks flicked by the club doctor. 

Beans beans beans

“An extra €10m and they will be happy” - Belief Newcastle ‘will definitely pay’ amount required to sign striker - Sport Witness

Some German journo reckons we'll definitely pay the going rate for Plea and get him. Knowing very little about either Plea or Zapata I can say unequivocally that Zapata is clearly the superior player, and I'll be raging if we don't get him. Joking aside Zapata's scoring record is more consistent and generally more impressive than Plea's, who's goals have dried up a bit in the last season or two. All that aside I'm deadly serious when I state that I'm sure Plea would be a vast improvement over Gayle.   

13 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Right, so it's a balancing act. They can't just wade into the window spaffing tens of millions around willynilly, if they do, they'll be overpaying for everyone forever. They'll also get fucked by FFP.

So they have to weigh the cost/benefit of every transfer. Signing Diego Carlos for £80m will not guarantee survival, and it will mean that they'd be expected to pay millions more on Botman, on Zapata, on whomever else they're interested in. Every agent will be expecting phat percentages, every player will expect phat wages. 

Yes, we will have to pay more, but they shouldn't be idiotic just to pacify a panicky fanbase.

Who has said get Carlos for £80m? 

From what we have seen they want a decen wedge yes, but we have offered a smaller up front and made up with bonuses.  We need to be realistic from out point of view too.

• Like 1

Apparently Arsenal are looking to bring in a keeper from the MLS. So perhaps the rumours about Leno going out on loan and us being interested are true. I'd definitely take Leno given how poor Dubravka has been. 

15 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I don’t think overpaying now = overpaying forever. We would have a stronger hand in negotiations later on after improvements and will be able to do things like allow contracts to run down etc. 

I don’t think anyone is saying overpay and get Carlos for £80m. The point is more if that’s absolutely Sevilla’s ask we need to walk away, we’ve spent 3 weeks chasing two CBs and have none. If we had went after others who may not be as good we might have improved our CB position - maybe overpaid a bit like we did for Wood, and went back into negotiations over Carlos with a stronger hand when he turned more into a nice to have rather than the must have he seems like at the moment.

Hopefully we do bring players in, but at the moment it’s an awfully big ask to bring in what we need in a little over a week. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

People seem to think wth the extended break next week we will be very busy.  Why next week?  Is Amanda taking training at the moment too so she can break off doing that because there is no game or wha?

Most deals tend to happen towards the end of the window. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

“An extra €10m and they will be happy” - Belief Newcastle ‘will definitely pay’ amount required to sign striker - Sport Witness

Some German journo reckons we'll definitely pay the going rate for Plea and get him. Knowing very little about either Plea or Zapata I can say unequivocally that Zapata is clearly the superior player, and I'll be raging if we don't get him. Joking aside Zapata's scoring record is more consistent and generally more impressive than Plea's, who's goals have dried up a bit in the last season or two. All that aside I'm deadly serious when I state that I'm sure Plea would be a vast improvement over Gayle.   

plea? 

image.png.0fbaa66e769871369c9c0ac5c5e2c4e1.png

Good chance it still goes through as a loan on the last day of the window. Just need them to satisfy themselves that no one is going to come in with a permanent deal for him, which is unlikely given he'll be free shortly. 

It’s the smart move for Lingard. The alternative is we buy him but with a relegation clause in his contract. Which given the relatively low fee involved mightn’t be the worst idea though it does set a bad precedent.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

People seem to think wth the extended break next week we will be very busy.  Why next week?  Is Amanda taking training at the moment too so she can break off doing that because there is no game or wha?

Do you, in life in general, display anxiety over things you have absolutely no control over whatsoever? :lol:

ITS NOT FOOTBALL MANAGER 

RECRUITMENT IS BEING LED BY NOVICES

ITS JANUARY 

WE'RE NEWLY MINTED 

WE'RE IN THE BOTTOM 3 

I BET YOUVE NEVER PLAYED POKER IN YOUR LIFE 

Hope this helps 

Best regards 

A. Cunt 

:D

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It’s the smart move for Lingard. The alternative is we buy him but with a relegation clause in his contract. Which given the relatively low fee involved mightn’t be the worst idea though it does set a bad precedent.

Agreed, I think it’s one of those where it’s a shrewd move if we pull the loan off at the end of the window, but we are risking someone else coming in (which currently doesn’t seem to be the case but injuries in upcoming fixtures might change that picture). I think it’s fine to play this game, as I agree it’s the one to make here, but we need to pursue alternative targets to him in the meantime as if we assume we will get him and then get gazumped before the window closes we might be scrambling late - this is of course if he was a real target rather than being a kind of nice to have to boost the squad type of target. 

Another loan bid has gone in apparently. 

So we've had one loan bid rejected by the club and a perm bid rejected cos the player doesn't want a perm deal (yet), and now we've gone back with presumably a higher loan fee. 

Still think it's probs doomed to fail cos no incentive for them to accept loan deal yet. 

• Like 2

Just now, Gemmill said:

Another loan bid has gone in apparently. 

So we've had one loan bid rejected by the club and a perm bid rejected cos the player doesn't want a perm deal (yet), and now we've gone back with presumably a higher loan fee. 

Still think it's probs doomed to fail cos no incentive for them to accept loan deal yet. 

how much do they want for a permanent deal? if it's negligible, which it should be given he's got just a few months on his contract, just offer them that and call it a loan. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

how much do they want for a permanent deal? if it's negligible, which it should be given he's got just a few months on his contract, just offer them that and call it a loan. 

10m was being talked about. 

• Tom locked this topic