The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

10 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

What was the time frame though? Could have said that we'll win it before retires which could, technically, give us about a 20 year window.

Why include that at all? We are on the verge of relegation ffs. The owner of a selling club is publicly ridiculing us for including unrealistic bonuses. 

8 hours ago, Diego21 said:

Barcelona DoF has confirmed Dembélé is out of the team because the player has rejected offers to renew his contract since last 6 months and the player should be out of the team in this January market in a permanent transfer. 

FJjxx03-Vc-AAc9f-K.jpg

5 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I there a difference between having the wealthiest owners & being the wealthiest club ?

Personally I don't think so. 

thats a good question. there are quite a few clubs whose owners have more money at their disposal than they would ever spend on football. The amount of deals that man city have backed away from due to the money being silly is crazy. When was the last time city were in a bidding war for a player? Man United went in for Alexis Sanchez and Fred, price went up, Man City left the table. Newcastle are now in the position that they can pay any amount, and for a while they might, but they probably won't once established. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alexsleftfoot said:

Whats Lingards usual position on the pitch?

Attacking midfielder. Can play all central or wide, but central I'd argue is where his best game is.

It is as good a signing as Trippier if we get him , he had a dark stage mentally but he got his mojo back. He just wants first team football and he'll deliver.

10 hours ago, Tom said:

Seems weird seeing Sellars in that kit 

I think he maybe only played in if ore-season as he went soon after Ginola came in iirc. Odd to think how much less of a squad game it was then. Class player imo. Underrated. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Howay said:

I don’t think overpaying now = overpaying forever. We would have a stronger hand in negotiations later on after improvements and will be able to do things like allow contracts to run down etc. 

I don’t think anyone is saying overpay and get Carlos for £80m. The point is more if that’s absolutely Sevilla’s ask we need to walk away, we’ve spent 3 weeks chasing two CBs and have none. If we had went after others who may not be as good we might have improved our CB position - maybe overpaid a bit like we did for Wood, and went back into negotiations over Carlos with a stronger hand when he turned more into a nice to have rather than the must have he seems like at the moment.

Hopefully we do bring players in, but at the moment it’s an awfully big ask to bring in what we need in a little over a week. 

There's no guarantee of that, who's to say that every transfer won't be drawn out and expensive? Wood had a release clause that we could pay and plays in a position that was an immediate concern. Centreback wasn't as vital as centre forward because, for all they're not very good we do at least own some centre backs.

Chasing Botman and Carlos wasn't obviously doomed to fail from the off, so I don't  mind them spending time trying to get the deals done. But spending over the odds on an average CB will impact; squad spaces, transfer kitty, the price of the next one and so on. And there's no guarantee they'd be better than what we've got.

15 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Who has said get Carlos for £80m? 

From what we have seen they want a decen wedge yes, but we have offered a smaller up front and made up with bonuses.  We need to be realistic from out point of view too.

That's his release clause.

That's what's being reported for the Ekitike deal, but I've not seen that for the Carlos deal. It makes sense to try and use bonuses to limit our liability, be foolish not to. We can't just toss £40m at Sevilla up front, because we could still go down.

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

That's his release clause.

That's what's being reported for the Ekitike deal, but I've not seen that for the Carlos deal. It makes sense to try and use bonuses to limit our liability, be foolish not to. We can't just toss £40m at Sevilla up front, because we could still go down.

So basically nobody has said that have they?

Just now, wykikitoon said:

So basically nobody has said that have they?

That's his release clause. That's the only way we can force the deal through without negotiations that drag on.

Wise up Wykiki or I'll get HR onto you.

• Haha 1

You were coming from the angle that people were saying pay that sort of money for him. I think even the Twitter plebs aren't saying that. 

Like you said and many others have said, there's a balancing act.  I think we are all in agreement.  But by the sounds of things the stall maybe we are not offering realistic deals to start off with. Small payment up front and then silly add ons.

Of course all that is hear say and nobody really knows apart from the clubs.  Let's be honest.

8 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

You were coming from the angle that people were saying pay that sort of money for him. I think even the Twitter plebs aren't saying that. 

Like you said and many others have said, there's a balancing act.  I think we are all in agreement.  But by the sounds of things the stall maybe we are not offering realistic deals to start off with. Small payment up front and then silly add ons.

Of course all that is hear say and nobody really knows apart from the clubs.  Let's be honest.

This is the thing. We've no idea what's really going on. Sevilla might be demanding £40m up front and because of various things we justifiably don't want to do that. The player wants to leave, this much is clear, so if they can find a centreback to replace him there may be movement towards the end of the window. 

Zen yourself mate. Worst case scenario, we don't bring in enough improvements and we go down. We'll piss the Championship with a bespoke team, then come back up and quickly get amongst the top half of the table, and chase trophies thereafter. Some Newcastle fans have been born, went to school, graduated, and are eyeing retirement without seeing us win a meaningful pot, that wait is soon to be over.

• Like 1

I understand people's concerns. The current squad will go down. We've got 9 days to get players in and we seem to have been treading water with the same names for the last fortnight. 

And there's plenty of teams that have gone down to the championship, spent good money and still failed to come back up. I'd rather not have to do it for a 3rd time in recent memory.

I don't think it's bed wetting, just people sounding off understandable worries!

• Like 3

But there's also the fact that the vast majority of deals get done late in the window, especially any loan deals. I'll forgo wearing my white capri pants if it's the last day of the window, and we still only have Wood and Trippier in through the door.

Like us, Sevilla's last game in Jan is tomorrow. I would hope that things with Carlos move forward after that. Suspect they've been trying to have their cake and eat it by getting all their Jan matches out of him AND whatever deal they're demanding from us. 

• Tom locked this topic