The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

Yeah fuck knows, hopefully they've got some sort of inside track. One thing's for sure is that we can always do with another competent goalscorer. The entire spine needs surgery of course though. There's little point in being top heavy without the ability to control the midfield, or keep the ball out of our own net. I'm a bit worried that we haven't seen more talk of a box to box defensive mid, but hopefully that area will be sorted before the window closes. 

10 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Grealish - £100m this season
Dias - £61m last season

Ake & Torres a combined total of £70m - Last Season

Cancelo - £58m - 19/20

Rodri - £56m - 19/20

Mahrez - £61m - 18/19

Laporte - £58m - 17/18

Mendy - £51m - 17/18

etc

You missed the likes of Sterling and De Bruyne, possibly others. Interestingly I don't remember us having much competition for these signings. Why was no one else in for De Bruyne, cos he failed at Chelsea? As a City fan i'm still gobsmacked that we spent 100m on a player. 

Just noticed that you added to players together to get over the 50m mark, if you're gonna add player fees together, well...

Edited by LondonBlue

I'm just being grumpy but it's fucking incredible how shit the timing of the decision to finally allow the sale to go through was. If the PL didn't fuck about trying to satiate their 'top dogs' hoping PIF would go away we would have had Rafa come back in with an intricate knowledge of the players and club and have been in a position where we could actually attract players for an exciting project. Instead we're trying to get players in with the doom and gloom of almost certain relegation staring us in the face. It's not just the players that it has impacted, it has also seen us struggle to bring in a DoF and other key management positions.

Honestly it's getting to the point where they may as well start preparing for the championship and switch the focus to youth, facilities and development, bringing in young players who won't mind being in the championship for a season. And who knows  if we bring in enough raw talent it might get a last song out of some of our deadwood.

Edited by OTF
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Polarboy said:

Alli at his best is a better player than Lingard, or at the very least is equal in quality when both are on song. The question is will Alli ever get back to that sort of form. I haven't seen the Spurs doc when Mourinho was there, but iirc there's been question marks over his attitude, or at least the mental side of his game. 

FWIW, I think that Howe is probably the sort of manager who would put his arm around his shoulder and coax a reaction, rather than Mourinho or Conte who would shout and/or sulk.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LondonBlue said:

You missed the likes of Sterling and De Bruyne, possibly others. Interestingly I don't remember us having much competition for these signings. Why was no one else in for De Bruyne, cos he failed at Chelsea? As a City fan i'm still gobsmacked that we spent 100m on a player. 

Just noticed that you added to players together to get over the 50m mark, if you're gonna add player fees together, well...

I was trying to point out that to someone that they were wrong that city have spent 50+ on a player for ages. When they've done it multiple times for years 

You get charged a premium probably or on some of the deals is a case of going in and getting what you want without fucking about?

5 hours ago, OTF said:

I'm just being grumpy but it's fucking incredible how shit the timing of the decision to finally allow the sale to go through was. If the PL didn't fuck about trying to satiate their 'top dogs' hoping PIF would go away we would have had Rafa come back in with an intricate knowledge of the players and club and have been in a position where we could actually attract players for an exciting project. Instead we're trying to get players in with the doom and gloom of almost certain relegation staring us in the face. It's not just the players that it has impacted, it has also seen us struggle to bring in a DoF and other key management positions.

Honestly it's getting to the point where they may as well start preparing for the championship and switch the focus to youth, facilities and development, bringing in young players who won't mind being in the championship for a season. And who knows  if we bring in enough raw talent it might get a last song out of some of our deadwood.

New owners and gaffers hasnt given the kick up the arse to the dead wood. We have had fuck all new manager bounce to note because our squad is that fucking shit 

When it was suggested to a club source this week that Howe will be in position until the end of the season, the response was: “It depends when the season ends.” The meaning was clear. Relegation will lead to an immediate reassessment. Time will not be wasted in planning for life in the Championship.

PIF getting twitched already? Wonder if Rafa gets the nod if we go down

Edited by Kid Dynamite

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

New owners and gaffers hasnt given the kick up the arse to the dead wood. We have had fuck all new manager bounce to note because our squad is that fucking shit 

That's also because when things turn bad consistently a manager is normally shown the door relatively quickly. Conversely with Ashley at the helm Bruce was left in place and the rot set in, having already had a tremendously poor season in terms of performances this season we managed to get considerably worse right up until the point that the sale was allowed to progress. The result was a bunch of unmotivated, unfit players lacking disclipline who have drifted miles from their best due to having sub-standard coaching, training and tactical application. That can't change overnight with a new owner or manager like a normal bad run of games can with a semi-capable squad. The problem is far deeper here.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Paging @Isegrim

Any good? 

With my team playing in the fourth tier I do not follow German professional football a lot these days.

I don’t think I ever noticed him playing when flicking through games. From the match reports and ratings of Germany’s leading football magazine he had a few outstanding matches but a lot poor and very poor ones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

With my team playing in the fourth tier I do not follow German professional football a lot these days.

I don’t think I ever noticed him playing when flicking through games. From the match reports and ratings of Germany’s leading football magazine he had a few outstanding matches but a lot poor and very poor ones.

He'll fit right in. :good:

• Haha 5

Newcastle hope to pip Premier League rivals to the signing of £50 million-rated Yves Bissouma | Daily Mail Online

Bissouma is exactly the type of player I was hoping we'd be going for. He also has the added bonus of having experience in the league. Of course the fact that he has a sexual assault allegation hanging over him isn't ideal to say the least. But innocent until proven guilty, and you would assume whatever he's been accused of it's not in the same league as a Mendy, who fucking is mind, otherwise he would have been suspended straight away. Whether we'll pay the 50m for him I have no idea, but could you imagine if we spunk 100m on Bissouma and Nunez alone late in the window 😍 I'm probably just dreaming of course. 

• Like 1

Since Trippier and Wood arrived we've averaged 2 points a game, a few more through the door and we'll be ripping 4 or 5 points a game. #Europe #It'sMaths

• Haha 5

From what I've read, we'll only be going for Alli if the deal for Lingard falls through. Personally I'd love to have them both in the side but one is better than none I suppose, so long as Alli has the heart for a fight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Alli has been left out today.  Could be nothing like.

Rumours are kicking round the Spurs fan base that he’s on his way up to Newcastle. Again could be nowt as we seen with the Norwich fans thinking Cantwell was off. 

• Like 1

On 22/01/2022 at 13:41, Gemmill said:

Paging @Isegrim

Any good? 

He's a decent LB. He went from Ajax > PSG > Leverkusen. Was a starter under Tuchel until they bought Mendes in the Summer.

His main attributes are he's big (over 6ft) and built more like a CB. As such he's strong and decent in the air and wins most of his aerial duels. Coming from Ajax's academy he's good with his feet and a decent passer. He's not a bad ball carrier and has a good left foot setting up 4 assists this season. He could be a good signing, as good as Tomiyasu at Arsenal.

His main weaknesses are his marking and blocking crosses. When he does have a man he'll win the duel but he can be static in the box allowing players to slip in. And he doesn't get tight enough to his opponents when out wide which has resulted in quite a few goals from crosses on his side.

He has performed well this season overall and the couple of bad games were against Dortmund and a Bayern team that ripped them apart. He didn't make any calamitous mistakes but it's kinda like Watford's goal the other day, you have to prevent good crosses getting into the box.

Big pluses are, he speaks very good English (as do most Dutch people) so will settle in fast and he's strong so can handle physical aspect of EPL. Main negative is how he will play in a team like Newcastle who will be underdogs as oppose to the teams he's come from (Ajax, PSG, Leverkusen) who tend to be favourites and dominate possession. I still think he's an upgrade on what we have but main thing is that EH thinks he's the right player for the job.

• Like 1

• Tom locked this topic