The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

is anyone concerned by the alleged central defensive targets. carlos, who diego doesn't rate, which is good enough for me sounds like he has a mistake in him. and botman, a 22 year old unproven outside the french league 

Botman is currently playing champions league football and is very likely to be a very good player....Carlos sounds like someone who's agent is a mate of Jamie Reuben, they probably met in a "high class" massage parlour in Marbella...

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, 247 said:

January 18th 2016 we were 18th and Mike Ashley had paid for 2 new players already. Andros Townsend would sign on the 27th.. just saying 

11 years ago Deano was hoping David Bentley would sign. Tom thought the signing was imminent and Stevie reminded everybody he was ITK correctly times.

• Haha 6

18 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

is anyone concerned by the alleged central defensive targets. carlos, who diego doesn't rate, which is good enough for me sounds like he has a mistake in him. and botman, a 22 year old unproven outside the french league 

There's an element of risk with every signing. The way I'm approaching it is that given the 'quality' of the current squad, any additions are very likely to be improvements. Botman is very highly rated, Carlos, for all his errors, is still a good defender and better than Clark, Lascelles et al. 

We don't need to be signing van Dijk, we just need better than shit. 

Look at the players we've been legitimately linked with. There's a clear pattern of trying to address weaknesses in the squad. Trippier is a good rightback who's got experience and ability. Wood is a proven goal scorer in the Premier League. Tarkowski, Botman, Carlos, Attilla [Insert Last Name here], are all good to very good centre halfs. Zapata is a rated striker. 

This is way better than previous seasons where our approach to signings was scattergun and hunting for a bargain, rather than looking to plug the gaps.

• Like 1

Aye, re what the Fish says, this is about incremental improvement. Especially given where we are at present - incremental is as good as we can hope for. We're not gonna be picking up world beaters in 19th position. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

There's an element of risk with every signing. The way I'm approaching it is that given the 'quality' of the current squad, any additions are very likely to be improvements. Botman is very highly rated, Carlos, for all his errors, is still a good defender and better than Clark, Lascelles et al. 

We don't need to be signing van Dijk, we just need better than shit. 

Look at the players we've been legitimately linked with. There's a clear pattern of trying to address weaknesses in the squad. Trippier is a good rightback who's got experience and ability. Wood is a proven goal scorer in the Premier League. Tarkowski, Botman, Carlos, Attilla [Insert Last Name here], are all good to very good centre halfs. Zapata is a rated striker. 

This is way better than previous seasons where our approach to signings was scattergun and hunting for a bargain, rather than looking to plug the gaps.

no doubt about your last point. i just wonder if we should be aim to get in at least one CB with premier league experience given the importance of the position. easier said than done obviously. 

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Aye, re what the Fish says, this is about incremental improvement. Especially given where we are at present - incremental is as good as we can hope for. We're not gonna be picking up world beaters in 19th position. 

But we are going for highly rated CBs that play for champions/europa league sides. No problem at all with this going for established good players from other leagues, the only issue being it’s going to very difficult to get the deals for these players done. I was making the point in my post above that we don’t have a scouting network set up properly yet because we aren’t going for perhaps shrewder deals for slightly lesser known players that we could get done faster for (I think this is what we’ll end up with anyway towards the end of the window) instead we are jumping in at the deep end and going for these targets who’s clubs are holding out for big money for or just straight up saying they won’t sell. I just hope that our people saw this coming but as the window goes on I’m doubting they did 

Lesser known players are lesser known for a reason, as in they haven't proven themselves at the highest level yet. We don't have time to invest in potential in some sort of Moneyball player investment strategy. Obviously you could land a player or players that hit the ground running, but it's less likely than if you go after players that have proven over at least a season or two that they can perform to a certain level.

2 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Lesser known players are lesser known for a reason, as in they haven't proven themselves at the highest level yet. We don't have time to invest in potential in some sort of Moneyball player investment strategy. Obviously you could land a player or players that hit the ground running, but it's less likely than if you go after players that have proven over at least a season or two that they can perform to a certain level.

Not what I am suggesting at all, I am saying that at some point in the next few days (if we don’t land Carlos) they will start looking further down the list at targets that they might actually be able to do a deal for. Obviously players won’t be as highly rated but at least we might actually be able to get them here. 

24 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

no doubt about your last point. i just wonder if we should be aim to get in at least one CB with premier league experience given the importance of the position. easier said than done obviously. 

This is the point that so many on twitter (and some on here) seem to overlook.

Every other club will demand a surcharge because we're Premier League rich.

Every other club will demand a surcharge because we're Rich Premier League rich.

Every other club will be reluctant to sell players midseason.

Every player will demand a phat wage because we're rich.

Every player will demand a phatter wage because we're in the relegation spots. 

Right now, we're not an easy sell, because regardless of the 000s at the end of our bank account, we're a relegation battling side managed by Eddie Howe. Instead of the midtable side managed by Rafa Benitez we were 24 months ago.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 247 said:

Not what I am suggesting at all, I am saying that at some point in the next few days (if we don’t land Carlos) they will start looking further down the list at targets that they might actually be able to do a deal for. Obviously players won’t be as highly rated but at least we might actually be able to get them here. 

Well that we're taking too long is debatable in the winter market given all that we know about how hard it is to sign anyone. It isn't going to be easy to sign anyone who would actually improve the team. I'm sure the rationale from the club is that they're hoping to get one or two for Leeds, and then really go after it through the break. Obviously we aren't privy to what sort of encouragement they are being given to sign the players they are currently after, and perhaps they are being led around by their noses a bit, but again who knows.

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

This is the point that so many on twitter (and some on here) seem to overlook.

Every other club will demand a surcharge because we're Premier League rich.

Every other club will demand a surcharge because we're Rich Premier League rich.

Every other club will be reluctant to sell players midseason.

Every player will demand a phat wage because we're rich.

Every player will demand a phatter wage because we're in the relegation spots. 

Right now, we're not an easy sell, because regardless of the 000s at the end of our bank account, we're a relegation battling side managed by Eddie Howe. Instead of the midtable side managed by Rafa Benitez we were 24 months ago.

I think most fans realise this to be honest, its also such a broad way of looking at the situation because despite all of that there are good players out there to be had and that will come to the club as we've seen already. I think the problems lie with pursuing these deals that prove problematic for the reasons you outlined here, the Botman one seems dead in the water because his club wont sell, Carlos is looking like it might be headed the same way. How many others do you think they are working on? The real issue is that we dont have the right networks set up to navigate this window and these issues in your post, it could have been done with the right people in the right places but now we are moving slowly.. the fact we were not able to bring in the right dof is one big cause, also the fact that certain players are probably not enthused to come and play for Howe is another. When we brought in Howe instead of Emery after that debacle we NEEDED the right dof to come in after him and we didnt get it, its a real shame to be honest. I know you will probably now point out that the club changed hands when the new owners might not have been expecting it to but I cant help but feel they could have done better than they have so far. 

25 minutes ago, 247 said:

I think most fans realise this to be honest, its also such a broad way of looking at the situation because despite all of that there are good players out there to be had and that will come to the club as we've seen already. I think the problems lie with pursuing these deals that prove problematic for the reasons you outlined here, the Botman one seems dead in the water because his club wont sell, Carlos is looking like it might be headed the same way. How many others do you think they are working on? The real issue is that we dont have the right networks set up to navigate this window and these issues in your post, it could have been done with the right people in the right places but now we are moving slowly.. the fact we were not able to bring in the right dof is one big cause, also the fact that certain players are probably not enthused to come and play for Howe is another. When we brought in Howe instead of Emery after that debacle we NEEDED the right dof to come in after him and we didnt get it, its a real shame to be honest. I know you will probably now point out that the club changed hands when the new owners might not have been expecting it to but I cant help but feel they could have done better than they have so far. 

Don't mistake my posts as a fullsome defence of the new owners, I think there've been several missteps and mistakes made. Getting the right DoF in should have been the priority, but I'd wager the size of the task behind the scenes and the size of the task on the pitch meant that priorities have had to be more fluid. 

The things you mention are why things don't appear to be moving quickly. I'd suggest that they are moving quickly, but just not quickly enough from an outside perspective. 

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Don't mistake my posts as a fullsome defence of the new owners, I think there've been several missteps and mistakes made. Getting the right DoF in should have been the priority, but I'd wager the size of the task behind the scenes and the size of the task on the pitch meant that priorities have had to be more fluid. 

The things you mention are why things don't appear to be moving quickly. I'd suggest that they are moving quickly, but just not quickly enough from an outside perspective. 

It would be foolish to think things couldn’t be handled better, but some people seem to think everything could be done as easy as when playing football manager.

If course it would have been preferable to have a sufficient structure in place with a DOF and more people having the right amount of knowledge and standing in the game.

But as with players it might nit be as easy to get the right people as quickly as it would be necessary.

• Like 1

I don't think there's been a "failure" to appoint a DOF btw. Everything you read suggests that they knew that there would be a longish search and that it's just taking as long as it's going to take. It's unfortunate that it's taking this long but most executive level appointments take months in normal private sector jobs. 

15 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I didnt take them that way. And I hope you are right, I guess time will tell. Obviously this is not a game of fifa or football manager so we cant expect the world come Jan 31st but since they stated they wanted 6 new players thats the number I will judge them on. 

• Tom locked this topic