The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

15 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I get the feeling that this guy is the player Shelvey thinks he is.

To be fair I don’t think Shelvey’s ability has ever been the problem. 

4 minutes ago, Howay said:

If true he’s the one player I’m disappointed about signing. Personally don’t think he improves on the left backs we have, I think he’s a poor player. Of course if it was to happen I hope I’m wrong. 

Dont neccessarily disagree but I don't mind a loan.

Dummet is better in the middle, Ritchie isn't really a left back and Lewis is injury prone and not that good on what he has shown so far. Having someone who is a left back and can consistently play games is better than our current position.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Howay said:

If true he’s the one player I’m disappointed about signing. Personally don’t think he improves on the left backs we have, I think he’s a poor player. Of course if it was to happen I hope I’m wrong. 

Is he much of any improvement over Dummett? Probably not, but then again he's not as injury prone as Dummett. With Targett we at least always have a solid defence minded LB on hand, and then perhaps we can play Lewis in games where we look to be more expansive. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Howay said:

File under Wood and Burn: solid but unspectacular. I suppose the question with Targett is does he improve the side? You can argue that Wood did when he signed him as we had no fit recognised strikers, and Burn could arguably walk straight into the side. Targett, I’m not sure. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

File under Wood and Burn: solid but unspectacular. I suppose the question with Targett is does he improve the side? You can argue that Wood did when he signed him as we had no for recognised strikers, and Burn could arguably walk straight into the side. Targett, I’m not sure. 

That’s where I’m at, Burn is better than what we have, Woods is better than all bar Wilson. Targett? It’s debatable, I agree maybe because he’s not injury prone but honestly any time I have saw him play he looked shit tbh. Maybe I’m being harsh but I just don’t like the thought of signing him. Andrew is right mind, I can’t grumble too much with a loan but I wouldn’t be a fan of signing him permanently as I wouldn’t even want him as a squad player going forward. 

Got a quite a lot of work to do tomorrow which is frustrating as it’ll distract me from all the posting on here, scrolling through Twitter and watching SSN I’ve got to do 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Im still a bit surprised we haven't gone for Ramsey on loan. Worth the fitness gamble.

Why hasn’t he left Juve? He’s on huge wages. Given his last few years he can’t expect to stay on that sort of money and to make him an offer on that sort of money would have completely fucked our wage structure.

I’d be amazed if we hadn’t made contact but the fact that it got no further with us or seemingly any other PL speaks volumes.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Is he much of any improvement over Dummett? Probably not, but then again he's not as injury prone as Dummett. With Targett we at least always have a solid defence minded LB on hand, and then perhaps we can play Lewis in games where we look to be more expansive. 

Yeah I think it’s borderline, not saying I’ll give them pelters mind as they’ve made good signings with the rest just this one to me would be one I’d probably not bother with. I agree though maybe him not being that injury prone helps. 

I’m probably being greedy tbh I’m just tired of watching dross like Ritchie, Manquillo, Dummett etc at full back and he’s a similar level of dross. Like I say if we do loan him I hope I’m wrong he does well and we can get a proper left back in the summer. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tom said:

To be fair I don’t think Shelvey’s ability has ever been the problem. 

I was going to say he’s the player Shelvey could have been but I don’t think Shelvey could have been him.

Shelvey will never go through a season at his top level or anywhere near it. I don’t know if it’s a mental or a physical thing but he’s incapable of producing his best form for a sustained period. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Howay said:

Yeah I think it’s borderline, not saying I’ll give them pelters mind as they’ve made good signings with the rest just this one to me would be one I’d probably not bother with. I agree though maybe him not being that injury prone helps. 

I’m probably being greedy tbh I’m just tired of watching dross like Ritchie, Manquillo, Dummett etc at full back and he’s a similar level of dross. Like I say if we do loan him I hope I’m wrong he does well and we can get a proper left back in the summer. 

bit galling that digne didn’t fancy it. He and trippier would have been a superb pair of fullbacks. Got a feeling it’s a decision he could come to regret in a few years but Villa have operated quite well in the window and look decent since Gerrard took over. 

• Like 2

If it goes through Targett does seem an odd signing when we already have that level of player available. Perhaps there is some link with Howe and he believes in him, perhaps it's just to shake up our other options and a response to knowing that Dummett is injury prone? Will it be the end of Lewis?

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

bit galling that digne didn’t fancy it. He and trippier would have been a superb pair of fullbacks. Got a feeling it’s a decision he could come to regret in a few years but Villa have operated quite well in the window and look decent since Gerrard took over. 

Knowing Rafa you would have to side with him on the players attitude not being great despite him having the technical ability.

Just now, wykikitoon said:

Dummett is finished lets be honest. 

Sadly true it seems. Could potentially go somewhere in the championship where he's not under the pump and lay as a CB.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OTF said:

Knowing Rafa you would have to side with him on the players attitude not being great despite him having the technical ability.

And if there’s one thing we’re known for it’s taking undisciplined mavericks and turning them into world beaters…

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Villa won’t ever kick on much more than their current level tbh. Digne clearly didn’t back himself like Bruno does, which is fine but we need players that have balls so massive they can barely run. Not ones with tiny minuscule balls like Digne. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

2 minutes ago, strawb said:

Not blown away by targett or wood. But if that’s what the manager wants I’m in no position to disagree. Be worth it if we stay up 

It seems to be a mixture of what we need and what we will need for the future. The two you mentioned seem to be signings for now. Under Ashley you would be worried but under the new regime you have to view them as disposable assets.

• Like 2

Just now, ewerk said:

It seems to be a mixture of what we need and what we will need for the future. The two you mentioned seem to be signings for now. Under Ashley you would be worried but under the new regime you have to view them as disposable assets.

Yeah totally. I can see the logic in the signings I just think that those two in particular are poor footballers. Honestly not overly arsed as long as we stay up and go massive in the summer

• Like 2

Think it was highly unlikely that we’d bring in 6/7 high quality international players like Trippier and Gumaries, we’ve got to walk before we can run ffs. Blending the ones we get won’t will be easy either, just need to take a chill pill here and don’t have a collective coronary if we don’t beat Everton :cuppa:

• Tom locked this topic