Deep shit?

Dr Gloom

7 minutes ago, NJS said:

I see Lampard is whinging about playing 3 games in a week - you mean like we had to do as part of playing them. Prick. 

I don't get this rhetoric in modern day football - clearly a precursor to excusing poor performances - just seems fashionable to moan about it these days. Head back to when I first started following football in the mid 80s, we played away to Forest on New Years Day 1987 (a Friday) and at home to Sheffield Wednesday the following day - this in a era when footballers weren't the model athletes.

Still fucking annoys me that we get international breaks. It was far better when we played on a weekend, there was an international fixture list mid-week and then back to domestic football the following week.

• Like 2

I think there’s something to it because although players are fitter, the game is quicker, they cover more ground etc and it is consequently more difficult to recover in shorter periods of time. The flip side to that is the squads are much bigger, many more subs can be used and everyone’s in the same boat. Of course it favours the bigger, richer clubs but that’s nothing new. I’m not defending Lampard because they’ve spent a fortune compared to Burnley in recent years and Burnley still have a fixture backlog due to covid. I also agree it’s a case of Lampard getting his excuses in early which doesn’t exactly breed confidence 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I want a draw or a Burnley win. We aren't going down so I'm afraid I must insist that Everton do. 

This for me. 

Both teams would have a game in hand over us after this evening. So if it's not a draw, I'd much rather Burnley got to within 7 points of us than Everton get to within 3 points of us. 

Earlier I meant purely from an NUFC survival POV. I think we’re ok regardless and my preference would definitely by the Scouse mackems going down. Although I’d like a couple more wins under the belt ASAP if only so CT will STFU ;) 

I went abbreviation crazy there. The civil service must’ve finally gotten to me 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

Earlier I meant purely from an NUFC survival POV. I think we’re ok regardless and my preference would definitely by the Scouse mackems going down. Although I’d like a couple more wins under the belt ASAP if only so CT will STFU ;) 

:lol: 

I obviously love the idea of Everton going down, but as you say I just want the season to be done now. The plus is even if they do stay up they have no money and will keep Lampard, so they’ll be farting into the same pillow they have been this season down the bottom end as they have a front row seat to us climbing the table. They can come 19th next season with firefighter Sam Allardyce steering them off that cliff as we come 6th. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

Yeah it wasn't a dig. I'm confident both will finish below us so it's a case of what scenario you prefer at the end of the evening. It's #1 or #2 for me.

SCENARIO 1
Newcastle P30 GD-21 PTS31
Leeds P31 GD-33 PTS30
Everton P29 GD-19 PTS26
Burnley P29 GD-18 PTS22
Watford P30 GD-28 PTS22
Norwich P30 GD-45 PTS18

SCENARIO 2
Leeds P31 GD-33 PTS30
Everton P29 GD-20 PTS25
Burnley P29 GD-17 PTS24
Watford P30 GD-28 PTS22
Norwich P30 GD-45 PTS18

SCENARIO 3
Leeds P31 GD-33 PTS30
Everton P29 GD-18 PTS28
Watford P30 GD-28 PTS22
Burnley P29 GD-19 PTS21
Norwich P30 GD-45 PTS18

So, I didn't have much on today and made something a bit(a lot) rough and ready;

These are the fixtures for each team from 30 onwards.

image.png.8bd18fd153732de25b2fbf56f461dd49.png

I looked at teach teams home and away form, while taking into account their overall quality (e.g. Leicester are very good at home, but not great on the road, but they're still a midtable outfit.). I gave a value to each and weighted it. So, the higher the number, the easier the fixture.

image.png.f56cc74520efbd5dabc2893c1448e23d.png

What's the difference between the two sides?

image.png.0424c37d08fb78223507c707d98c8b6e.png

From that I created a rough and ready formula to predict the most likely outcome with a little randomness thrown in because... football.

image.png.d83f0b873b2d82ea9b9718cffdae1383.png

Gives this as a final table.

image.png.eecfb4d51c48ef1f875400e400a38f8c.png

Fwiw, I think it's underestimating a lot of teams, but fuck it, it's rough and ready

• Like 6

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

So, I didn't have much on today and made something a bit(a lot) rough and ready;

I looked at teach teams home and away form, while taking into account their overall quality (e.g. Leicester are very good at home, but not great on the road, but they're still a midtable outfit.). I gave a value to each and weighted it. So, the higher the number, the easier the fixture.

From that I created a rough and ready formula to predict the most likely outcome with a little randomness thrown in because... football.

Fwiw, I think it's underestimating a lot of teams, but fuck it, it's rough and ready

So are winning tonight?

• Haha 2

On 05/04/2022 at 10:33, Christmas Tree said:

I can honestly only see us picking up points against Norwich in April. 

According to you, no.

On 05/04/2022 at 11:44, Christmas Tree said:

Beat Wolves Friday and I’ll be confident we’re safe.

But then you pretty much contradicted yourself an hour later. I'm fucking holding you to this. We win tonight, no more of your bed-wetting bullshit. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Craig said:

According to you, no.

But then you pretty much contradicted yourself an hour later. I'm fucking holding you to this. We win tonight, no more of your bed-wetting bullshit. 

Hey, never in my entire life have I wanted myself to be so fucking wrong.

3 points and the mushroom will be back.

Mushroom Goring GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Hey, never in my entire life have I wanted myself to be so fucking wrong.

3 points and the mushroom will be back.

Mushroom Goring GIF

Slightly over-egging your little pudding, aren’t you? :lol:

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, The Fish said:

Fucking SHIT. 

• Haha 6