Deep shit?

Dr Gloom

Even if they weren't having the struggles with FFP that they clearly are, I don't think Richarlison will be hanging around for another season.  He never looks happy there (that may be just him being a miserable fucker) and I think there will plenty of interest in him this summer.  I'm not convinced DCL is as good as his performance last season suggested.  The Everton supporter I know doesn't rate him at all and reckons that there is a lot more of them who feel the same.

I agree that if they do stay up the media will be right behind fat Frank so I don't see them sacking him (finances will play a part in that too) and I'm in no way convinced he's a good enough manager to move them forward.  They will probably be better than this season but I don't see them having anything like a good season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Howay said:

They have but I don’t really see any signs they will change that, I also don’t see them attracting an Ancelotti level manager that would paper over that and have them finish above 12th. 

I guess I don’t see this as a blip for them, they’ve been on a downward trajectory for a while now that was slightly slowed at times due to the level of manager they had. They now have a manager who is more in line with their level, it also hasn’t been a fluke under Lampard they weren’t miles better this season under a manager as good as Benitez. 

I don’t think they have much flow from their academy nowadays tbh, they only have Jonjoe Kenny, Tom Davies, and Anthony Gordon around the first team squad, Kenny is out on loan and 25, and Tom Davies is unregistered. We arguably have more with Dummett, De Bolle, Anderson, and the Longstaffs hanging around the first team squad and our academy has been massively underwhelming. 

It’s be quite a turnaround for them to come 9th - 12th especially if it’s going to take a really good manager coming in, keeping DCL and Richarlison, and some youth team prospects getting into the side from next season.

I also think 9th - 12th would be the bottom end of our target, not that I’d be angry with Howe if that’s where we finish, as we could finish there this season and as someone pointed out (KD iirc) if you take results since Howe arrived we’d be 8th. Clearly taking results since Howe come in is effected by opposition played in that window but we’d also likely have a much improved squad to offset that. 

It could happen that they suddenly turn everything around and challenge the spots we are targeting but I see it as far more likely they finish bottom half if they do manage to stay up. As like I say I really do not think their squad has much talent/quality in it, they’ve also been weakening through transfers (Myoklenko is a downgrade on Digne for example), and owe a lot of money for Dele Alli which impacts their already shit financial situation. 

All fair points and I guess it's gradations of the same argument. Everton aren't great, they're in financial trouble, they need coaching and short, medium and long term strategies to be drawn up and followed. 

I think they'll still be somewhere in midtable, and I think that's where we'll be aiming. If Newcastle go off and sign Bruno-level players for a few key positions and continue the improvement then yeah, sure, we could and maybe should be targeting top half. But realistically, not every transfer will be a hit, we still lack quality in defence, midfield and up front. We're a ways behind the other midtable clubs in terms of strength in depth. 

With Everton, I genuinely think Benitez would have had them grinding out results to have them comfortably further up the table. I think they could attract a standard of  manager like Potter, or Hassenhutl (not necessarily them) and that level of manager would get their team playing more effective football than Lampard is. 

If they do sell Richarlison and DCL, that could be close to what, £90-100m? 

I dunno, I think if they go down, they're fucked. Stay up and a decent manager will right the ship.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

With Everton, I genuinely think Benitez would have had them grinding out results to have them comfortably further up the table.

They'd have hounded him out months ago for doing that too.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I don't think Everton hound managers out as you seldom hear any pundits or presenters mention it?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

All fair points and I guess it's gradations of the same argument. Everton aren't great, they're in financial trouble, they need coaching and short, medium and long term strategies to be drawn up and followed. 

I think they'll still be somewhere in midtable, and I think that's where we'll be aiming. If Newcastle go off and sign Bruno-level players for a few key positions and continue the improvement then yeah, sure, we could and maybe should be targeting top half. But realistically, not every transfer will be a hit, we still lack quality in defence, midfield and up front. We're a ways behind the other midtable clubs in terms of strength in depth. 

With Everton, I genuinely think Benitez would have had them grinding out results to have them comfortably further up the table. I think they could attract a standard of  manager like Potter, or Hassenhutl (not necessarily them) and that level of manager would get their team playing more effective football than Lampard is. 

If they do sell Richarlison and DCL, that could be close to what, £90-100m? 

I dunno, I think if they go down, they're fucked. Stay up and a decent manager will right the ship.

It’s all future events so it’s pretty subjective I guess. I just personally feel that it would take a lot for them to be in a position to realistically compete with us next season. I have a very low view of the majority of our squad so think improving on those players with every player we buy is almost certain. Couple those two views and I think the clubs will be a wide margin apart next season. Totally get football can change quickly though. 

On Rafa, he only had them 15th I think they’d have been safer with him but I still think they’d have been comfortably bottom half. 

If they sell those two I’m not sure how much they’d get but I’d be a little surprised if they went for nearly £50m each. I’ve heard that’s what their ask is from us for DCL but everyone knows they’re over a bit of a barrel as well. They’ve also done an astonishingly bad job at spending their money, so give them £100m to play with and they’ll buy mostly crap (Myolenko and Alli would be nearly £65m if their fees were fully paid for example), I don’t really see that changing much as it’s been consistently shit regardless of the manager they’ve had. 

Don’t get me wrong, I want them to go down but at the same time I just don’t see them being a threat to us next season even if Lampard is sacked. I do think they’ll hang onto Lampard if they stay up, the narrative around them is Rafa is mostly to blame it seems which helps take some heat off Lampards dog shit management. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ewerk said:

True enough.

39 minutes ago, Howay said:

It’s all future events so it’s pretty subjective I guess. I just personally feel that it would take a lot for them to be in a position to realistically compete with us next season. I have a very low view of the majority of our squad so think improving on those players with every player we buy is almost certain. Couple those two views and I think the clubs will be a wide margin apart next season. Totally get football can change quickly though. 

On Rafa, he only had them 15th I think they’d have been safer with him but I still think they’d have been comfortably bottom half. 

If they sell those two I’m not sure how much they’d get but I’d be a little surprised if they went for nearly £50m each. I’ve heard that’s what their ask is from us for DCL but everyone knows they’re over a bit of a barrel as well. They’ve also done an astonishingly bad job at spending their money, so give them £100m to play with and they’ll buy mostly crap (Myolenko and Alli would be nearly £65m if their fees were fully paid for example), I don’t really see that changing much as it’s been consistently shit regardless of the manager they’ve had. 

Don’t get me wrong, I want them to go down but at the same time I just don’t see them being a threat to us next season even if Lampard is sacked. I do think they’ll hang onto Lampard if they stay up, the narrative around them is Rafa is mostly to blame it seems which helps take some heat off Lampards dog shit management. 

I'm trying not to get too ahead of myself when it comes to predicting where we'll end up. Sure we've got a decent manager, some good players and a decent opportunity to spunk some wonga. BUT we're criminally short up front, have little depth outside the first 11, and a bottom half defence on the whole. We're not going to address all those weaknesses in the next window or two. 

So, I reckon, a reasonable bet would be safely nestled in the beige bosom of midtable early enough to pop on some flip flops and enjoy pressing them down on the throat of whichever team gets promoted until the struggling stops.

I think Frank might survive a few games into next season, but if he continues to have a PpG of under 1, he'll be binned off sharpish. They cannot afford another season of struggling against relegation. 

What I come back to is this; Everton are a bigger threat to us than Fulham, Bournemouth or whoever comes up through the play offs. So if they go down, and Burnley stay up, that's better than the other way around.

• Like 2

Eddie Howe's Newcastle record is 1.52 points per game. Frank Lampard managed 1.67 points per game at fucking CHELSEA. :lol:

Two stats that prove that Howe is doing an absolutely absurd job AND Frank Lampard is fucking shit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Wish we’d gotten Stevie G 

:lol:

1.3 PPG at Villa for Klopp's replacement. 

There was at least one person on here wondering if we hadn't missed out there iirc. I would name and shame if I could remember them. 

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

:lol:

1.3 PPG at Villa for Klopp's replacement. 

There was at least one person on here wondering if we hadn't missed out there iirc. I would name and shame if I could remember them. 

TGQ

There was loads made of him bringing the youth through at Chelsea. Whilst not recognising 1) they were class players he had fuck all to do with developing and 2) the transfer embargo meant he didn’t have a choice 

• Like 4

I would like to ask you some questions about the Membership.

4 or 5 years ago, I thought about signing up as a member of the club. But I am not sure that it can be beneficial for me or even that there is a possibility of doing what I want.

I'll explain, I'm a member of the club at Atleti, but I don't have a season ticket to go to the stadium every game. What I do is pay an annual fee of about €50 and with that, the club sends me a card with a membership number every year. I have many advantages: Discounts in the club store, discounts on tickets for the first team and free access to see the reserve team and the women's team, as well as a €25 voucher that I can spend on whatever I want (before, instead of this discount, they directly gave you a ticket to go to a game during the season).

Thus, I annually maintain a subscriber number that is getting lower and lower with my seniority.

Is there something similar in Newcastle? I could swear I saw it years ago. But now I don't see the Membership without being a season ticket holder. As you can understand, I couldn't take advantage of almost anything, no store discounts, no priority for away tickets, and I couldn't go every year to see a game at St. James Park.

But just the fact of having an annual card and being part of the club... I would love it. Sure, as long as I don't find it 'throwing money away'.

Thank you and I hope you have understood me well.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

I would like to ask you some questions about the Membership.

4 or 5 years ago, I thought about signing up as a member of the club. But I am not sure that it can be beneficial for me or even that there is a possibility of doing what I want.

I'll explain, I'm a member of the club at Atleti, but I don't have a season ticket to go to the stadium every game. What I do is pay an annual fee of about €50 and with that, the club sends me a card with a membership number every year. I have many advantages: Discounts in the club store, discounts on tickets for the first team and free access to see the reserve team and the women's team, as well as a €25 voucher that I can spend on whatever I want (before, instead of this discount, they directly gave you a ticket to go to a game during the season).

Thus, I annually maintain a subscriber number that is getting lower and lower with my seniority.

Is there something similar in Newcastle? I could swear I saw it years ago. But now I don't see the Membership without being a season ticket holder. As you can understand, I couldn't take advantage of almost anything, no store discounts, no priority for away tickets, and I couldn't go every year to see a game at St. James Park.

But just the fact of having an annual card and being part of the club... I would love it. Sure, as long as I don't find it 'throwing money away'.

Thank you and I hope you have understood me well.

membership = jumping the queue for tickets. Nothing else I think.

You get a small discount and you get priority on home and away tickets. But after season ticket holders have had a chance to purchase both. Think it’s only about £35 - 40 a year though. The new owners might make more out of it. Don’t think they’ve released the details on signing up for next year though. It’ll probably sell out quite quickly as all the existing ones will renew