Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Pretty much the story of our summer if true 

At some point we need to either give up chasing the players valued at £50m+ or pay what the clubs are asking for. Alternatively go for the plan c or d options such as Cornet before it’s too late or they’ll end up at other clubs. 

• Like 3

When you consider the start we had Leicester only finished 3 points ahead of us with one more win. And they haven’t signed anyone. They’ve had an unbelievable few years but I don’t think it unrealistic to say where going to overtake them soon and quite probably forever 

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Pretty much the story of our summer if true 

At some point we need to either give up chasing the players valued at £50m+ or pay what the clubs are asking for. Alternatively go for the plan c or d options such as Cornet before it’s too late or they’ll end up at other clubs. 

I totally understand not wanting to be bent over a barrell but we also need to recognise the calibre of player we are going for.  IMO if we get him it will be for £45m+ 

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

10 times last season. You must be a Mackem with hands like that 

He plays inside right at most with Castagne or whoever is playing right back heavily overlapping, and predominantly plays right or left in a central three in a midfield five. Rogers tinkers about nonstop with his formations and player positions, but Maddison is clearly best suited to attacking from central positions. Rogers has been stuck for a genuine consistent option of a player in a traditional right wing role. You're not going to get Maddison sticking wide, getting up and down the wing, helping Trippier, getting crosses in, you know as an actual winger would do. Or rather that's not a role he's ultimately suited for. Of course this debate is entirely pointless unless we actually sign him. 

Edited by Polarboy

If all this stuff about us wanting to pay teams fifty quid a month for fifty years, and the lend of a villa in Marbella every summer for players is true, you have to question what the club and Ashworth in particular are doing. What's the point in offering a structured 35m bid when Leicester would likely not accept a structured bid of 45m, and going by current market values they'd be absolutely right not to. Hopefully Ashworth proves me wrong by the end of the window, but if all these leaks about what we are bidding are true, then he's not currently filling me with confidence. 

Edited by Polarboy
Type

45 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The Leicester fans are suitably devastated, outraged or in denial about their best player potentially leaving. They seem to think he’s worth £60-80m. 

Whilst I'm struggling to conceive of a situation where they'd let him go for anything south of 60m you'd have to think there had been some consultation done prior to an offer being submitted. Ashworth doesn't strike me as a chancer throwing offers without there being a chance of it either being accepted or at least getting a ball rolling.

Possibly a new contract for Maddison is at a stale mate there and he's indicated he wants to go?

28 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

If all this stuff about us wanting to pay teams fifty quid a month for fifty years, and the lend of a villa in Marbella every summer for players is true, you have to question what the club and Ashworth in particular are doing. What's the point in offering a structured 35m bid when Leicester would likely not accept a structured bid of 45m, and going by current market values they'd be absolutely right not to. Hopefully Ashworth proves me wrong be the end of the window, but if all these leaks about what we are bidding are true, then he's not currently filling me with confidence. 

That said Maddison strikes me as someone who wouldn't attract serious interest from the top clubs. Then there's not a lot of clubs outside of them who will offer upwards of 40m for a player. Still expect him to stay there but 50m for him would be reasonable business IMO.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

We are back to offering £30-40mil for £60mil players and appearing stumped when they say no. 

Do you expect us to offer £60m then and them accept?  It's part of the bidding game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Do you expect us to offer £60m then and them accept?  It's part of the bidding game.

I agree it’s part of it but it’s a really low ball offer for probably one of the best players outside the top sides. We’ve also done this a few times already this window and then just pulled out before complaining about unrealistic valuations. 

I’m perfectly fine with them not wanting to sign £50m players, but why do we continue to chase and underbid for players in that valuation bracket? Belotti is available for free, Cornet has a release clause, etc it’s just a weird strategy and as things stand it hasn’t worked this window as we are going into the season with the exact same poor attack.

• Like 4

It’s fucking hilarious how some of you are suddenly experts about the way Leicester City play :lol:

As is the notion that going for Morrison means the interest in Paqueta must be dead.

If this bid for Morrison tells you anything, it’s that none of us have the first clue about what moves the club are making, including the journos. Sit tight, enjoy the ride and FFS some of you change your pissy pants.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, OTF said:

That said Maddison strikes me as someone who wouldn't attract serious interest from the top clubs. Then there's not a lot of clubs outside of them who will offer upwards of 40m for a player. Still expect him to stay there but 50m for him would be reasonable business IMO.

I don't know about that. I rate him as a player who could easily play in a top six team, if not quite being of pressing interest to Liverpool or CIteh. Obviously it all depends on which of those teams are in need of player of Maddison's profile. Of those teams at present I'd expect Spurs and maybe Man U, although Eriksen plays in a similar position to Maddison, to be interested. 

1 minute ago, Craig said:

It’s fucking hilarious how some of you are suddenly experts about the way Leicester City play :lol:

As is the notion that going for Morrison means the interest in Paqueta must be dead.

If this bid for Morrison tells you anything, it’s that none of us have the first clue about what moves the club are making, including the journos. Sit tight, enjoy the ride and FFS some of you change your pissy pants.

It's hilarious you've called him Morrison twice. :lol:

• Haha 11

Just now, Howmanheyman said:

It's hilarious you've called him Morrison twice. :lol:

I do that all the fucking time 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Haha 2

Seems like those Cornet links have legs. It also seems like it might be a case of either or between him and Maddison, but perhaps not given Cornet can play up top as well. As far as a structured deal goes, Burnley have already accepted one when we bought Pope, so it's perhaps more likely they'll accept one for Cornet. If it meant that they could get more than the 17.5m lump sum release clause but over a longer period of time they might go for it. 

Edited by Polarboy

15 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Seems like those Cornet links have legs. It also seems like it might be a case of either or between him and Maddison, but perhaps not given Cornet can play up top as well. As far as a structured deal goes, Burnley have already accepted one when we bought Pope, so it's perhaps more likely they'll accept one for Cornet. If it meant that they could get more than the 17.5m lump sum release clause but over a longer period of time they might go for it. 

Reading the article it seems Hope is surprised by us wanting to pay in installments when literally every club pays that way 

• Like 1

Seen an interesting take on twitter that pointed to the fact that with Schmeichel probably leaving Leicester, we could perhaps offer Dubravka in part exchange. It might take ten million off the Maddison price. No point in keeping Dubs as number two if he's looking to leave. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season