Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Just seen it pointed out that Rogers definitively said Fofana isn't for sale, as opposed to his more noncommittal answer on Maddison. 

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Edited by Polarboy

5 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Because most clubs do, nowt unusual at all

We aren’t supposed to be most clubs. Ashley definitely had a period where he insisted we paid all fees up front.

Even the current top clubs like Liverpool, Citeh and Chelsea use staggered payments, and we're nowhere near them in terms of advertising revenue from which we can supplement our transfer kitty. It's going to take years to build the commercial end of things, but hopefully Darren Eales will work his magic. 

Edited by Polarboy

37 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Chicken nonce trying to piss in everybody's cornflakes as per with the last line. Unfortunately he could be correct. 

If we manage to get him for £45m it’s another brilliant bit of business. Suspect it might have to be north of £50m

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

The inevitability of our business is what strikes me from the way we're moving. We have actual irons in the fire instead of imaginary ones. We won't be held to ransom, but when our interest is genuine we'll have genuine offers on the table. Even if our top targets aren't immediately obtained we've established a line of communication that gives us an upper hand in future negotiations. Take Maddison for example, he's now aware of our interest. Fast forward to January or next summer and with his contract nearing its final year he'll have a choice to make; re-sign with Leiecester who are on a flat or potentially downwards trajectory, go to Newcastle who are on the up with a view to lasting success or go elsewhere entirely. You're more likely to go with a known admirer if they have continued to grow than to take a chance elsewhere.

We will sign some attacking players before the window closes, of that I am sure.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OTF said:

The inevitability of our business is what strikes me from the way we're moving. We have actual irons in the fire instead of imaginary ones. We won't be held to ransom, but when our interest is genuine we'll have genuine offers on the table. Even if our top targets aren't immediately obtained we've established a line of communication that gives us an upper hand in future negotiations. Take Maddison for example, he's now aware of our interest. Fast forward to January or next summer and with his contract nearing its final year he'll have a choice to make; re-sign with Leiecester who are on a flat or potentially downwards trajectory, go to Newcastle who are on the up with a view to lasting success or go elsewhere entirely. You're more likely to go with a known admirer if they have continued to grow than to take a chance elsewhere.

We will sign some attacking players before the window closes, of that I am sure.

That's what we've done with Botman, so you could be spot on there. 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

to get past FFP

Especially knowing that we'll have vastly improved sponsorship and corporate income in seasons to come.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Payment terms have nothing to do with FFP.

Is that entirely accounted for under ammortisation?

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Isn’t it? I presumed it was based on yearly reporting periods. 

I think ewerk is right, I think as OTF says it’s more seen in terms of amortization so total price of transfer + wages over contract rather than when the cash is paid. The only timing thing I think would be if we did the loan with obligation to buy, that plays with the timing for FFP purposes as it doesn’t start the amortization on the transfer until the permanent deal takes effect. 

The club does seem to have some cash flow issues, which the loan is looking to address - it’s probably been discussed but these loans are common and I think get round rules to do with how cash is contributed in by ownership, or maybe also plays with FFP. The good thing is our side do look to be very savvy in terms of how they’re doing things with FFP, but don’t want to take the Man City approach of almost ignoring it then possibly fighting it. 

Edited by Howay

Just now, spongebob toonpants said:

My spidey-senses tell me this one is a runner.

I've always hated him mind, going to have to do a swift 180

Yeah I get a sense this will happen.

I still think Paqueta will as well mind you, no science behind it just an inkling. I think he could be a deadline day marquee signing.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season