Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

2 hours ago, Polarboy said:

This bloke is much more in the Howe physicality mould as compared to Tonali or Barella. Not to say that our future is only full of tall and physical players. Howe knows that's what we've built our success on, but that as we aim to maintain and improve our standing we'll need to improve our attacking versatility especially as teams are likely to become more and more defensively staunch against us. So someone like Nemcha can slot straight into our team, someone like Barella can evolve and improve the way we play.

36 minutes ago, OTF said:

Far from being simply used to "revamp and re-market Saudi Arabia" we're part of the diversification of their wealth away from the source of it; oil. It's part of a broader strategy under which divestment from oil and traditional streams of renevue are or will soon be occurring. I'm not suggesting you don't know any of this, just pointing out that they're not throwing money away in a marketing campaign for the country, but rather will be operating the club as part of a broader portfolio that is ultimately designed to maintain and increase their wealth over the long term.

Aye thats true enough, they're trying to emulate what Dubai has done in terms of reducing oil dependency. 

But I referred to PIF as the revamping tool, not NUFC. In revenue terms the football club will not ever come close to replacing even a tiny portion of their oil revenues. But as part of the larger strategy yes we may be a piece, and tons of money being thrown around now by their league is another. People just shouldn't be surprised about it in this context. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

Aye thats true enough, they're trying to emulate what Dubai has done in terms of reducing oil dependency. 

But I referred to PIF as the revamping tool, not NUFC. In revenue terms the football club will not ever come close to replacing even a tiny portion of their oil revenues. But as part of the larger strategy yes we may be a piece, and tons of money being thrown around now by their league is another. People just shouldn't be surprised about it in this context. 

Spending big money is really the only way to improve your status dramatically in the short term. I don't think it will be financially effective, but there should at least be a resulting improvement in the domestic players as they are exposed to a higher calibre of footballer. Of course, if those players don't give a toss and are there entirely for the money (rather than 95% for the money) it may end up just taking the piss out of the league. The truth will probably be somewhere in between. They're seemingly willing to throw big bikkies away to have a shot. Not like they have to answer to FFP or anything like that. I actually feel that this is going to make our process a much more fulfilling one. We can't just be Chelsea or Man City spending without limit.

• Like 1

Didn't China try to do something similar a few years back to try and give their league a boost? I don't know exactly why that failed but probably a main reason was they never invested enough in the infrastructure around the country, and maybe foreign players never got used to living in the country or didnt like it enough? Saudi will have the same problems. 

9 minutes ago, OTF said:

Not like they have to answer to FFP or anything like that. I actually feel that this is going to make our process a much more fulfilling one. We can't just be Chelsea or Man City spending without limit.

Also makes the club more sustainable long term. We just have to hope the oldies here stick around long enough to see Trippier lift the 2025 FA Cup after the CL semi-final hearbreak before his retirement move to FC Dallas. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

Didn't China try to do something similar a few years back to try and give their league a boost? I don't know exactly why that failed.

There were a few reasons, main one was a lack of international broadcasting deal, next was the foreign player limit, I think it was two and the local players level of skill was so far off the imports, even the Australians that played their weren't impressed, that the football was terrible. Lastly covid.

All these players going to Saudi might be for merely their league's exposure but hopefully someone involved with it all has the sense to have spoken to those at NUFC, with the smart thought of certain players, Neves for instance, being loaned straight to the toon for the next season or two. Take that FFP.

Edited by sammynb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

I feel like We're not really bothering with McTominay.

For anyone wondering this lad wears number 8, but he'd probably be our new 6.

Is it him off Strictly’s brother? 🤔

image.gif.c287dbdd184bf78d8c93331fb779dfbf.gif

• Haha 5

At the last count we seem to have bid 50-60m for at least 5 players. That seems

unlikely.

Maybe they're just "preparing a bid", paper parlance for "here's some horseshit we made up yesterday over lunchtime pints"

• Like 4

Right, who’s got the inside track on this tonali kid? I’ve been too engrossed with the cricket to pay much attention to the transfer gossip. How does he compare to Szbosobollock,  Maddison and Barella? Is he a plan A or plan B signing? 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

Right, who’s got the inside track on this tonali kid? I’ve been too engrossed with the cricket to pay much attention to the transfer gossip.

And look at your success rate with that!

Probably best you keep your soggy kegs out of the transfers thread until after Sept 1.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

Right, who’s got the inside track on this tonali kid? I’ve been too engrossed with the cricket to pay much attention to the transfer gossip. How does he compare to Szbosobollock,  Maddison and Barella? Is he a plan A or plan B signing? 

CMHM? 🙂 

1 minute ago, sammynb said:

And look at your success rate with that!

Probably best you keep your soggy kegs out of the transfers thread until after Sept 1.

stop fuck off GIF

• Haha 3

I joked about this earlier in the thread... Mendes has history on bending rules so with him and PIF.....you never know. I'd maybe not expect it to happen in the summer but he might well get "homesick" soon.

Plus, Neves said he'd only join a club in the CL but then suddenly takes a big fat pay cheque to play in poor league... Something not right about this.

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season