Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

2 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

85m is nonsense. I suggest we just stick to upcoming younger players that are hungry to step up. 

An elite player who's often named among the best midfielders in Europe, with his prime years ahead of him, in the current market is going to cost. And again you would assume 85m is there ideal price, not their realistic price and that they'd probably accept substantially less when negotiations are said and done. He's easily worth 70m in the current market. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

An elite player who's often named among the best midfielders in Europe, with his prime years ahead of him, in the current market is going to cost. And again you would assume 85m is there ideal price, not their realistic price and that they'd probably accept substantially less when negotiations are said and done. He's easily worth 70m in the current market. 

I haven’t seen him enough to give him the glowing report you have. 

italians haven’t traditionally settled that well in our league either. I can’t think of many bar Zola and arguably Vialli.

Edit: Di Canio as well

Edited by Holden McGroin

43 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

italians haven’t traditionally settled that well in our league either. I can’t think of many bar Zola and arguably Vialli.

Wharra bewt Wor Paolo, Marra? 
515999eb69bedd5624000016?width=620&forma

FTM, fewm, shit outside etc 

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Edit: Di Canio as well

I think that's more to do with the elite Italian players tending to stay in Italy or go to Spain. Obviously apart from the exceptions you mentioned. We got the dregs for the most part with players like Pistone for us. 

51 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

So PIF own 75% of the Saudi league. I sense a big player going there on mega bucks then being loaned to us for free.

Hello  Neymar Jnr. Welcome to Newcastle. 

I’d be painting my windows white and putting the sleeping bags in the cupboard under the stairs if that happened- I reckon we’d be in the Fewmout zone at least, if not the direct blast. 

When%20The%20Wind%20Blows_0.jpg?itok=shw

• Haha 7

11 hours ago, Polarboy said:

I think that's more to do with the elite Italian players tending to stay in Italy or go to Spain. Obviously apart from the exceptions you mentioned. We got the dregs for the most part with players like Pistone for us. 

Overall Pistone was probably deemed a success over his time as he had a decent career over here for us and Everton.

there has been a lot of big signings that just never live up to it over here. Scamacacacacacacaca being the latest. 

55 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Overall Pistone was probably deemed a success over his time as he had a decent career over here for us and Everton.

there has been a lot of big signings that just never live up to it over here. Scamacacacacacacaca being the latest. 

I think it might have been on Wilson and Antonio's podcast I heard about it, but they were basically saying that Scamacca was being played as a traditional 9 by Moyes because of his height and the way Moyes likes to play, but he's much more effective with the ball to his feet, exchanging passes around the box etc. And then he got injured for an extended period. So I think it might be unfair to judge him too harshly at present. If we could get him for a decent price I'd definitely take him for that third striker spot we have. I'm certain Howe could get the best out of him. 

32 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Ravenelli didn't do too bad and even at the time it blew my mind that his last game for juventus was scoring in the CL final then he's off to fucking Middlesbrough. :lol:

Aye the mind boggles how much Gibbo was paying him, Emerson and Juninho 😬

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Aye the mind boggles how much Gibbo was paying him, Emerson and Juninho 😬

I was a bit jealous tbh but then we signed Shearer the same pre-season so ........ (I remember poor old Supermac declaring Boro had got the better deal). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I was a bit jealous tbh but then we signed Shearer the same pre-season so ........ (I remember poor old Supermac declaring Boro had got the better deal). 

:lol: the media have always got to say something regardless of whether it actually makes any sense 

Boro had Boksic after that too… probably past his best by then but a fuckin great player on his day 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

:lol: the media have always got to say something regardless of whether it actually makes any sense 

Boro had Boksic after that too… probably past his best by then but a fuckin great player on his day 

Boro had no fucking business getting Boksic, Ravenelli and Juninho. I'd forgotten about Boksic, he was just a very good forward. 

10 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Ravenelli scored a hat trick on his debut at Boro, first game of the season, a big story but it was against Liverpool so it was sad face emojis in the media. :lol:

• Haha 1

Also recall supermac tipping Boro to finish higher than us, who had just finished second then signed one of the best strikers in the world. :lol: (For all boro's decent players they weren't a team and still had the likes of Curtis Fleming).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Also recall supermac tipping Boro to finish higher than us, who had just finished second then signed one of the best strikers in the world. :lol: (For all boro's decent players they weren't a team and still had the likes of Curtis Fleming).

My entire Sunday morning football career can be largely summed up by a Boro player from that era :) 

IMG_2126.jpeg

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I can't remember if Jamie Pollock was still there around then? Looked like he spent his spare time chasing parked buses.

I think he might have left when they arrived. Juve were noted for being prepared to overhaul their squad and balance the books back then. It seemed odd to sell Ravenelli and Vialli that summer. Both were class for them as well as forming a great partnership. But they had Vieri, Del Piero and (I think) Pippo Inzaghi all coming through. They also sold Paulo Sosa who, ironically played against them and was victorious for Dortmund in the CL Final 12 months later. Then again, Juve signed Zidane in the summer of 96 too. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

My entire Sunday morning football career can be largely summed up by a Boro player from that era :) 

IMG_2126.jpeg

When Batty stamped on him he reckon he was just following the instructions on his shirt 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Holden McGroin said:

Boksic was different class. We were linked with him a few times in his pomp. Shame it never came off.

Aye. He was brilliant but he was finished through injuries by the time he ended up at Boro 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

I can't remember if Jamie Pollock was still there around then? Looked like he spent his spare time chasing parked buses.

Should see the size of that fucker now man

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

IMG_2126.jpeg

Was expecting Dean Windass

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season