Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

19 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Yeah he looks a proper player. He was probably slightly unfairly overshadowed by Raphinha when he was at the club, especially when you look at both their stats. 

Leeds wont sell him for less than £50m at the moment.

Yeah Leeds won't be for selling. It would need to be a ludicrous fee given how important he is to their team. Leeds could be decent team again on that performance, but obviously we are still only three games in. And this is without a lot of their new players having time to settle yet. Sinisterra their Raphinha replacement, who was hyped by some, had an injury at the start of the season, so has yet to get a full 90. Apparently we had a scout at the Porto, Sporting match the other night there. I just have the feeling we are going to get a surprise in the last few days of the window.  

When asked Howe said he was hopeful we'll sign someone next week, but there are no guarantees. Hopefully he was just being a bit cautious and Pedro will be sewn up in the next few days. I think he was vaguely asked about Pedro when the question was asked. So he didn't name him but that was his response. Having Pedro would really help us manage Wilson's minutes better, like today when he felt his hamstring was tight. Wood is OK for a sub, but compared to Pedro's pace he may as well be running in concrete. 

My tits would be fully laughed off if we actually did nick him off Villa. He could just have heard about the ridiculous wages other Villa players are getting and wants parity, but it may also be the case that he's waiting for another club. 

6 minutes ago, strawb said:

Why would he be a good signing? Gerrard has hardly covered himself in glory with his signings so far

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Sarr showed a lot of quality for a poor Watford team the two times they've been up since he's been at the club. 25m would be a decent price for him and he's still young and coachable at 24. He's only that cheap because he has a year or two on his contract. Villa will probably still sign him, I just thought it was funny that it's in slight danger of collapse going by the tweet. 

Sarr can fuck off, I don't care if his justification is religion or upbringing, our owners give me enough moral trouble, I don't want homophobes playing for us.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Sarr can fuck off, I don't care if his justification is religion or upbringing, our owners give me enough moral trouble, I don't want homophobes playing for us.

Don't you think the horse has somewhat bolted in that respect. As you say our owners are Saudi Arabia, a country where gay people are routinely put to death. It seems like pointless moral posturing to state that us signing a supposedly homophobic player, I haven't seen evidence of that but I'll take your word for it, would be even an extra drop in the bucket. 

2 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Don't you think the horse has somewhat bolted in that respect. As you say our owners are Saudi Arabia, a country where gay people are routinely put to death. It seems like pointless moral posturing to state that us signing a supposedly homophobic player, I haven't seen evidence of that but I'll take your word for it, would be even an extra drop in the bucket. 

Absolutely not.

Some homophobes are associated with the club so lets just swing open the doors and welcome more with open arms because they're ok at football (and lets be honest, Sarr is ok at football, but hardly a world beater) is a piss poor attitude.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Absolutely not.

Some homophobes are associated with the club so lets just swing open the doors and welcome more with open arms because they're ok at football (and lets be honest, Sarr is ok at football, but hardly a world beater) is a piss poor attitude.

Yeah I don't know, I just don't understand the attitude of well I'll support the club even though the owners execute people for being gay, but if we sign homophobic players I'll really be upset. Whatever moral barometer there was at the club for gay people was broken with the new owners taking over, as in if you didn't decide to stop supporting the club because of that you never will. By your logic you'd still keep supporting the club, but be morally troubled, even if every player was homophobic, given the moral bad of that doesn't even come close to what our owners do. So again it seems pointless. 

2 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Yeah I don't know, I just don't understand the attitude of well I'll support the club even though the owners execute people for being gay, but if we sign homophobic players I'll really be upset. Whatever moral barometer there was at the club for gay people was broken with the new owners taking over, as in if you didn't decide to stop supporting the club because of that you never will. By your logic you'd still keep supporting the club, but be morally troubled, even if every player was homophobic, given the moral bad of that doesn't even come close to what our owners do. So again it seems pointless. 

Why do you think I'm not upset that our owners are dreadful dreadful people?

Of course I won't stop supporting the club, I don't know what would make me stop supporting the club, but the owners are not the club, and the players are not the club.

That doesn't mean I want homophobes playing for or owning the club.

I will oppose anyone with those beliefs coming near our club, I can't actually do anything about it, but I will still try.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Why do you think I'm not upset that our owners are dreadful dreadful people?

No, again I just think the owners completely overshadow an attitude a single player could have, and lets face it there probably already are homophobic players in the squad. In any case we appear to be going round in circles here so I'll leave it at that. No offence meant on my part, I was just genuinely curious as to what your thinking was. 

Edited by Polarboy

looking at really consistent premier league performers, wondering why we haven't taken a look at Leandro Trossard. he is in great form and causes all sorts of problems and is very consistent. also only 12 months on his contract.... 

• Like 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season