Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

True as I reckon that would be, I really don't want either McTominay. Especially for the money being touted, it would be a fucking stupid deal to make.

He's so fucking ordinary, hasn't got the pedigree of Trippier, or the class or potential of Botman//Bruno (as well as being older than both).

Big ol' no thanks on that one. We'd be better off raiding the relegated teams for squad players frankly, cause thats all he is capable of being even compared to who we have now, he isn't better than Longstaff.

Lavia off Southampton would be a better shout than McTominay. A 19 year old with ridiculous potential. 

• Like 4

I still reckon the McTominay links could be his agent eyeing what would probably be his one big career move. Like I’ve said before you can be ITK but you might be hearing direct from an associate of the player, that Howe wants him, rather than Howe or someone close to Howe.  

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

He must be gutted being an Everton fan :lol: 

I thought he was a Liverpool fan? I swear to god these Scouse professional footballers change their boyhood team history at the drop of a hat when it suits them. 

• Haha 5

52 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I thought he was a Liverpool fan? I swear to god these Scouse professional footballers change their boyhood team history at the drop of a hat when it suits them. 

Ah you could be right actually.  I assumed he was a Everton fan the way he banged on what a superb club it was.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I still reckon the McTominay links could be his agent eyeing what would probably be his one big career move. Like I’ve said before you can be ITK but you might be hearing direct from an associate of the player, that Howe wants him, rather than Howe or someone close to Howe.  

Aye, he won’t have any insight into Howe’s thoughts tbh as Ashworth and Howe have both agreed to keep everything within the club. I think a lot of these are roll over rumours from earlier windows too, it’s also quite a noticeable trend that when a player is linked and then the link gathers steam people like Romano start posting about it then most the time it goes nowhere - I tend not to pay him much notice tbh especially after the Joao Pedro mess. 

• Like 1

One thing I was thinking about and I'm sure to get a pile of shit for saying it, but do you think we've missed out on a couple more season in the progression phase? Like a season finishing top half where we replace Ritchie et al with better players, a season in Europe where we replace Willock and Burn with better players, then get into the CL and have a deep(er) squad with the benefit of another 2-3yrs of improvements to our youth system too?

• Like 1

I get what you’re saying but this immediate CL qualification will have thrown the club so far forward from a commercial POV, that we’ll be able to skip that anyway because we’ll be able to immediately attract better prospects to round the squad out than we would if not for the qualification.

• Like 4

Yes, I can imagine Levy and the scouse cunts seething that their attempts to hold us back have been superceded on the pitch and even better at their clubs' expense. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, NJS said:

Yes, I can imagine Levy and the scouse cunts seething that their attempts to hold us back have been superceded on the pitch and even better at their clubs' expense. 

We now go direct to Daniel Levy for comment:

Muppet Show Muppets GIF - Muppet Show Muppets Bunsen Honeydew - Discover &  Share GIFs

• Haha 3
  • Jaysus... 1

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

One thing I was thinking about and I'm sure to get a pile of shit for saying it, but do you think we've missed out on a couple more season in the progression phase? Like a season finishing top half where we replace Ritchie et al with better players, a season in Europe where we replace Willock and Burn with better players, then get into the CL and have a deep(er) squad with the benefit of another 2-3yrs of improvements to our youth system too?

I was thinking similar myself.  I think we will be ok though and it won't do us harm like European progression has done for West Ham.  For them they haven't invested in the squad as whole and their PL position has taken a beating for it.  PLus they don't have Eddie :) 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12147537/Celta-Vigo-star-Gabri-Veiga-Newcastle-35m-deal.html

The Mail appear to be saying that while the reports that we were close to signing Veiga are wide of the mark he could still be signed by us in the coming weeks, given we supposedly hold an interest despite not yet making a bid, which is understandable given the window hasn't even opened yet 😂 He has the same agent as Lewandowski, so if Barca want him, and more importantly can afford him given their financial troubles, we won't stand a chance obviously given he's a young Spanish kid. This of course seemingly somewhat contradicts Hope's tweet about us being used as a stalking horse, which given the timing appeared to be referencing the Veiga stuff on twitter. 

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

I've been supporting for seven decades and this might well be the best season I've experienced. I wouldn't swap it for anything 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Wor Lee definitely has the Knight Ryder theme playing when has a self-love session after a night in the Scrogg. 

Coast boy would be lost in the Golly Wog, MF. :lol:

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Coast boy would be lost in the Golly Wog, MF. :lol:

Whoa!!!

The Knight is a bleeding heart, lefty, tree-hugging, seagull… hating, coast dweller??

paulie-walnuts-498-x-308-gif-gc17xzu0mos

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12147537/Celta-Vigo-star-Gabri-Veiga-Newcastle-35m-deal.html

The Mail appear to be saying that while the reports that we were close to signing Veiga are wide of the mark he could still be signed by us in the coming weeks, given we supposedly hold an interest despite not yet making a bid, which is understandable given the window hasn't even opened yet 😂 He has the same agent as Lewandowski, so if Barca want him, and more importantly can afford him given their financial troubles, we won't stand a chance obviously given he's a young Spanish kid. This of course seemingly somewhat contradicts Hope's tweet about us being used as a stalking horse, which given the timing appeared to be referencing the Veiga stuff on twitter. 

The window hasn’t even opened yet and…

Always Sunny Fx GIF

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, The Fish said:

There are no guarantees of incremental progress though. All 20 teams in the league want a better squad and a better league finish than the year before. But it's just as easy to pull a Chelsea or a Leicester.

We are one of two teams outside the big 6 to make the champions league in the past 18 years. We need to grasp the opportunity with both hands. If we waited another 2-3 years it then becomes harder to hold onto Bruno, Botman, Isak etc

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

There are no guarantees of incremental progress though. All 20 teams in the league want a better squad and a better league finish than the year before. But it's just as easy to pull a Chelsea or a Leicester.

We are one of two teams outside the big 6 to make the champions league in the past 18 years. We need to grasp the opportunity with both hands. If we waited another 2-3 years it then becomes harder to hold onto Bruno, Botman, Isak etc

And, given how the money is weighted to historical participation in it, the sooner the better. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

And, given how the money is weighted to historical participation in it, the sooner the better. 

It's more than a little bit annoying that the biggest clubs take their share of the spoils and then pat the newcomers on the head patronisingly and throw them whatever is left. Just like FFP it makes it harder for emerging or reemerging teams to begin to compete with those already at the top. You're in the same competition, but you've got reduced resources available to you, so before a ball is kicked you're comparatively disadvantaged.

• Like 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season