Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

With £30m Ekitike deal agreed, Newcastle can now sign 20-goal striker too (hitc.com)

A Russian U21 striker 😂 In for a penny in for a pound in terms of bad publicity from the media if this is in any way accurate. Not that Russian citizens should all be tarred with the brush of their states actions in any case. The Wimbledon thing was ridiculous. But obviously the media will use any ammunition they can get against us.   

5 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

With £30m Ekitike deal agreed, Newcastle can now sign 20-goal striker too (hitc.com)

A Russian U21 striker 😂 In for a penny in for a pound in terms of bad publicity from the media if this is in any way accurate. Not that Russian citizens should all be tarred with the brush of their states actions in any case. The Wimbledon thing was ridiculous. But obviously the media will use any ammunition they can get against us.   

He’ll turn up with a world war z top on knowing us.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

He’ll turn up with a world war z top on knowing us.

“Haha nee Botha pal, I’ll put him in a Z top for the unveiling, ye kna just to cause some fume on wearside”

D2D57C2B-A33A-4038-A1CE-AC01FAF241A2.webp

• Haha 3

Luke Edwards showing his ITK credentials by tweeting about the hard task of getting rid of some of the unwanted players on the same day deals are agreed for two of them :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Everton have supposedly set a price of 50m for DCL. Given how much English players are usually overpriced, this seems not that bad while still probably being about 5 to 10m overpriced. We might end up being thankful that DCL had a terrible season with injuries, Everton had such a bad season, and subsequently desperately need money to rebuild.  On the negative side he has his own line in handbags 😑😂

He’s pretty much had one good season. It’s definitely a gamble. He could be shit hot or he could just be shit. If we’re paying that money for him then you have to trust the recruitment team I suppose.

Well who knows if we are actually serious about putting a bid in. There were a few articles saying that it's down to us and Man U for Nunez as well, but I'd say DCL would be the cheaper of the two. Plus there's some disagreement between football journos about whether we're going to go for a big name striker if and when we finally get Ekitike confirmed. DCL, Nunez or Osimhen seem to be the three names if indeed we are going to go flat out for a big name after Ekitike. As I was saying before it's difficult to see where we would fit everyone in. Again Ekitike can play out wide, Wood probably won't complain too much about being on the bench. and Wilson unfortunately will likely be injured for 8-15 games, but even still it could be a very tricky balancing act. 

Edited by Polarboy

34 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

There were a few articles saying that it's down to us and Man U for Nunez as well

More chance of us signing Milton Nunez tbh.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

More chance of us signing Milton Nunez tbh.

Yeah, likely the same story for Osimhen as well given Bayern are supposedly in for him. DCL seems the most likely of the three. 

I think for where we are (no European football on offer, the beginning of a project), DCL isn’t the worst shout. We’ve just been a bit spoilt with some of the names we’ve been linked to - we’re still a few years away from being able to compete with the likes of Liverpool for Nunez or Milan for Bottman. Getting either of those two this summer would be massive. 

• Like 1

I think there are summers past where we wouldn't be as challenged for Nunez as we are right now.

City buying Haaland and Liverpool very suddenly seeming to potentially lose important parts of their front 3 have forced them into the striker market before they would've liked to go there.

Thats shunted priorities of loads of clubs, especially the ones we're going to be competing with in a few years, as well as the expansion of the champions league (season after next) essentially guaranteeing the top 5 in England a CL place meaning the clubs chasing that spot can start to take some more risks in the market knowing that it is less of a gamble in a year or two.

It seems like we'll pay 50-60 million for the right player but I can't see us continuing to chase Nunez who is wanted by higher profile teams or Osimhen who has a 100 million pricetag etc. now that we have Ekitike in (presumably) as that would mean we be looking to have 4 senior strikers in the squad, one of whom cost fucking loads and would need to be an almost certain starter, it just doesn't work.

I'd expect us to shift to spending our big money on the right wing with someone like Diaby.

• Like 1

According to this Milan are close to signing Renato Sanches and are backing away from the Botman deal as a result.

Also links Spurs and Man u to Botman which is the first time I've seen anyone other than Milan and ourselves linked to him.

Not sure why them getting Sanches would stop them from getting Botman given they play in different positions. I mean unless they are working with a quite limited budget. As far as I'm aware Sanches is valued at 15-20m. 

6 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Not sure why them getting Sanches would stop them from getting Botman given they play in different positions. I mean unless they are working with a quite limited budget. As far as I'm aware Sanches is valued at 15-20m. 

My assumption is that it is finances and where they need to spend.

They've just won the league with this young emerging central defensive duo, but they're about to lose Frank Kessie on a free which is massive for them.

34 minutes ago, Andrew said:

According to this Milan are close to signing Renato Sanches and are backing away from the Botman deal as a result.

Also links Spurs and Man u to Botman which is the first time I've seen anyone other than Milan and ourselves linked to him.

The Italian media seem a bit odd, it feels like whenever the Botman to Milan deal looks close (and others start to report it as such) after days of Italian sources saying it, they then seem to put out that Milan is backing away for whatever reason. Not sure why but they seem to have done it with Botman a few times already. 

It could be that they are more or less working on AC's behalf, and by saying that they've moved away it puts pressure on Botman and his agents to decide quickly and take what they're offering. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howay said:

:lol: It doesn’t sound that great Isaac. 

Translations

Fantastic = I'd heard of them

Good = Not entirely shit

Well run = there's no money

Good structure = they said I could play

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, ewerk said:

What has Hendrick done? He was happy to go out on loan to get first team football.

Someone, linked an article of what Hendrick said about going out was honourable.  Then slagged off Haydn! 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season