Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The "concrete offer" wording is from an Alfonso tweet. I still Maddison is not happening this window. If it does, we are properly going for it. 

I'll be shocked if we get him this window, but the club did pull Isak seemingly out of nowhere in the summer. 

Not sure what our FFP position looks like right now but it's not entirely inconceivable the club decides to spring another surprise or two given our league position. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

If we get Maddison, I’ll get some madman and ket in for the post EFL cup final after party at mine

Worth remembering Maddison is not cup tied, so you probably should start squirrelling away a few quid for that extra blow!

• Haha 2

Apart from Ashby I have a feeling we'll get somebody in on loan or loan to buy. Probably not Ziyech given what Chelsea are supposed to have said about not strengthening rivals, but maybe someone from a foreign league. 

On 26/01/2023 at 23:49, scoobos said:

I said it before, but I'll chance my arm again. My "man in the know" says no incoming transfers planned this January, or requested - despite what's in the media. 

Its a couple of loan to buys if possible and looking to get Darlow, Maxi and Shelvey out on "good deals for both parties".

Now I've written it, it'll hopefully be bollox (other than the Maxi and Shelvey out bit)

See, Told you.

Anthony Gordon: Newcastle agree £45m deal for Everton forward - BBC Sport

Given my form in this thread this week, you may be happy? to hear that I'm not actually convinced this is a good move.

Edited by scoobos

20 minutes ago, scoobos said:

See, Told you.

Anthony Gordon: Newcastle agree £45m deal for Everton forward - BBC Sport

Given my form in this thread this week, you may be happy? to hear that I'm not actually convinced this is a good move.

Just don't forget about this when your mate starts spouting crap next transfer window and you're tempted to believe him again.

In the...

John Candy No GIF by Laff

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Winston said:

I trust Dan Ashworth. Look at the magic he pulled at Brighton with Cucurella, Trossard, Caicedo, Bissouma etc

What is your opinion on spending 40 million or more on a right-footed left winger who has scored 7 goals in 2 seasons, but does not contribute significantly in creating or scoring opportunities? Additionally, given that the team's current issue is a high number of draws and that we have the opportunity to make a significant progress ahead of schedule in terms of where we want to be in the future, would this be a wise investment? z

We could look for a different attacking midfielder not named Maddison ...

28 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

What is your opinion on spending 40 million or more on a right-footed left winger who has scored 7 goals in 2 seasons, but does not contribute significantly in creating or scoring opportunities? Additionally, given that the team's current issue is a high number of draws and that we have the opportunity to make a significant progress ahead of schedule in terms of where we want to be in the future, would this be a wise investment? z

he wouldn’t have been my first choice but I can see why we have gone for him. From what I’ve seen he has the energy, pace and work rate that suits Howe’s system. 

£40m sounds like a lot but we’re signing a highly rated young Englishman with his best years ahead of him and that’s the going rate. Arsenal paid £12m for a 16 year old Walcott and that was 20 years ago. 

Gordon’s goals and assist numbers aren’t special but he’s 21. This recruitment team have got everything right so far, we have to trust them. Remember when we weren’t sure if pope would start ahead of dubravka. 

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

What were Almiron’s (left footed right winger) stats like before Eddie?

• Like 4

I think he'll be good for us. He'll fit the pressing style well, he's high intensity too.

The guy has been a detestable twat every time we've played them but I imagine a few of our current players are viewed in a similar way.

This deal doesn't shake my faith tbh, I think once Howe is done with him he'll be a better version of an already decent player.

• Like 6

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season