2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat

wykikitoon

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

In a daft way I'm slightly more relaxed about us next week and fancy us a bit more than I did pre-liverpool game. 

I know exactly what you mean- I think. 

We are now clearly second-favourite to win the thing, which takes some pressure off and means we can say “ nowt to lose”.

1-0 Botman. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

At least it will be over soon, I haven't enjoyed a minute since the semi-final

I don't think the players have either, which is a big part of our problem at the moment.

If you look at the squad, who in it has actually won something? Trips La Liga? No one else.

The weight of expectation for both the league cup and the CL places is definitely taking its toll on our players (and supporters) at the moment.

Winning mentality only comes from actually from getting across that line.

The first trophy will be hardest.

• Like 5

Right then.

Who has got the minerals to start the cup final match thread?

I would do it by my solitary match thread this season ended in defeat so I’m out.

Trophyshy had his moment and fucked it so don’t even think about it. 

I’m leaning towards @wykikitoon @Meenzer or @thebrokendoll

Who oversaw the most victories?

…perhaps @The Fish can crunch the numbers and present the data in charts with some xV calculations. 

I hate to say it but do the stats suggest we even need to reintroduce @Gemmill’s name in the match thread?

• Like 2

The basis of Howe's success at the club has been the togetherness and happiness in the dressing room. If you deny fringe players moves for first team football then that can easily be upset. I can understand letting those players go in the interests of squad harmony.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The basis of Howe's success at the club has been the togetherness and happiness in the dressing room. If you deny fringe players moves for first team football then that can easily be upset. I can understand letting those players go in the interests of squad harmony.

Shelvey I think too was let go in terms of a business point of view too.  I doubt any are trouble causers, but if they're moaning and not happy it can soon get people down.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Hope is wrong IMO on this. 

I think it was all the correct things to do looking at the medium term. Maybe not the best purely for this season but correct all the same. Another part of Ashley’s legacy is having to make these tough decisions to fix things. It’s different from Howe’s pov. We’d all love him to be here in 10 years but the here and now is what makes and breaks managers so he’s looking at it from a slightly different view to the hierarchy 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Right then.

Who has got the minerals to start the cup final match thread?

I would do it by my solitary match thread this season ended in defeat so I’m out.

Trophyshy had his moment and fucked it so don’t even think about it. 

I’m leaning towards @wykikitoon @Meenzer or @thebrokendoll

Who oversaw the most victories?

…perhaps @The Fish can crunch the numbers and present the data in charts with some xV calculations. 

I hate to say it but do the stats suggest we even need to reintroduce @Gemmill’s name in the match thread?

Even if Wykiki hadn't jumped on the hand grenade I would have said no. I'll flood it with numbers, but I won't start it.

• Haha 1

I think the Dubravka one was bizarre. We let our second best keeper go on loan with no obligation to purchase, and he's now been cuptied by our actual opponents in the final. 

I can't remember who I've heard talking about this in the last couple of days, but they correctly stated that Man United would never have put themselves in this position. Mainly because they now see us as a threat and wouldn't do us any favours. 

All the rest I understand, but Dubravka was a mistake which has now been made bold and underlined by the Pope red card. 

• Like 1

20/20 hindsight re: Dubravka. The only error is letting him go without the obligation to buy. The rest is like blaming Howe for playing Pope v Liverpool or not subbing Bruno off a minute before his red card. You can’t legislate for shit like that, man. 

• Like 2

i don't have any problem with letting shelvey or wood go as neither are in the long term plans and we got good money for them and i understand that FPP is a factor but failing to replace them - even if it were a loan or two - was always a gamble.

i think we needed extra cover in centre midfield even before we let shelvey go. if we'd managed to get someone in we may not have struggled as much without bruno these past few games because we're a bit one-dimensional in the middle without him. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

20/20 hindsight re: Dubravka. The only error is letting him go without the obligation to buy. The rest is like blaming Howe for playing Pope v Liverpool or not subbing Bruno off a minute before his red card. You can’t legislate for shit like that, man. 

There could well have been something in the loan deal that stated they had to buy him if he made 3 appearances. Precisely the same as Chris Wood? Don't think anyone expected him to only make 2 appearances for them in all comps.

The fact we’ve gotten to a cup final and are in the mix for a CL spot has served to mask what a massive work in progress we are. We’re only two transfer windows into the new ownership. Before that we were absolute fucking dog shit and a knocking bet to go down 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 5

• wykikitoon changed the title to 2023/24 - Generic NUFC Chat