How about a nice set of draws, pet v The gnashing walls of perpetual whining and phlegm, la.

trophyshy

22 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I wouldn’t call Pope catching the ball outside the box an inevitable consequence of having a sweeper keeper like. 

Over time I would say it's pretty likely like. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Over time I would say it's pretty likely like. 

Playing a sweeper keeper is a style of play that carries risk but so is pressing high up the pitch, which leaves us open to quick counter attacks, which is how we conceded the two goals yesterday. This style has got us to where we are. I’d much rather carry on playing like this and lose the odd game than retreat.

I hope the goals conceded and the red card don’t cloud the players’ minds too much and they go out and play their normal game. That’s our best of winning on Sunday 

• Like 4

As already mentioned ASM had a very good game and should start next week as for which goalkeeper to play flip a coin but Karius gets my vote…..yes he hasn’t played for ages but I can see him having a brilliant game

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Playing a sweeper keeper is a style of play that carries risk but so is pressing high up the pitch, which leaves us open to quick counter attacks, which is how we conceded the two goals yesterday. This style has got us to where we are. I’d much rather carry on playing like this and lose the odd game than retreat.

I hope the goals conceded and the red card don’t cloud the players’ minds too much and they go out and play their normal game. That’s our best of winning on Sunday 

Maybe. I think it depends on the opposition. It didn't work against luverpool though, and I think we need to acknowledge that. We played better with 10 men with a more counter attacking style. I've still got complete faith in Howe to get it right next week like.

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

Could be, I know he went in nets once, my old brain gets a bit mixed up!!

Still think he was laughing about that and not at us.

Yes you dills, Pepe Reina headbutted James Perch and was sent off. We were 2-0 up at the time and they'd used all their subs so Enrique went in goal for them and kept a clean sheet for the remainder of the game. He's making a joke at his own expense.

I would start with ASM and Isak next week which means Wilson on the bench

Karius

Trippier

Schar

Botman

Burn

Bruno

Joelinton

Longstaff

Almiron

Isak

ASM

Subs

Wilson

Willock

Anderson

Murphy

Targett ...probably to early for him as he's only played 60 min of U21 game

etc 

etc

But knowing ASM he'll have one of those games running into blind alleys and producing nothing so maybe Wilson and Isak both start

Edited by Rosco

25 minutes ago, Renton said:

Maybe. I think it depends on the opposition. It didn't work against luverpool though, and I think we need to acknowledge that. We played better with 10 men with a more counter attacking style. I've still got complete faith in Howe to get it right next week like.

The only time we have deviated from our style this season was Arsenal away. And that’s because Arsenal were the home side and were better than us that day, forcing us to adapt. Every other game we have set up to press high in a 4-3-3.

Howe strikes me as the sort of manager who wants the opposition to worry about the threat we pose rather than switching to plan B depending on the opposition. I’m not sure we even have a plan B tbh as we haven’t seen one this season.

It’s worked for the most part but there’s still plenty of time for the wheels to fall off!

4 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I think the strength in depth I.e lack of one, dictates we don't have a plan B 😂

the lack of depth is plain to see but I don’t think Eddie has changed shape once this season other than against Bournemouth where we briefly played a 4-2-3-1 - has he? 

• Like 1

Like, if we’re chasing a goal, it’s like for like changes rather than throwing two up front. I think it be because they work so hard on the system and how to press in training. Everyone knows their role and they work on it all week so he’s reluctant to switch up the style too much 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OTF said:

Yes you dills, Pepe Reina headbutted James Perch and was sent off. We were 2-0 up at the time and they'd used all their subs so Enrique went in goal for them and kept a clean sheet for the remainder of the game. He's making a joke at his own expense.

Nah, he’s of course referencing that but he’s taking the piss out of our situation. Here’s a little sample of his many, many posts around yesterdays game:

It was 100% a joke at our expense in the situation. His replies to the post point to it as well. The blokes a complete helmet, as Alex says he is one of those blokes who played for those scumbags and likes to think he had a career that mattered there so belittles the clubs he played decently for (see Bellamy as another example). 

• Like 1

Somebody in the Pope family must have had a bet yesterday🤣

From NUFC.com

While Nick Pope made the headlines for his dismissal against Liverpool, he wasn't the only member of his family to have issues with officialdom on Saturday.

Pope's elder brother Josh - also a goalkeeper - was red-carded earlier in the day for Mildenhall Town against Harleston Town in the Eastern Counties League

Edited by Rosco

25 minutes ago, Howay said:

Nah, he’s of course referencing that but he’s taking the piss out of our situation. Here’s a little sample of his many, many posts around yesterdays game:

It was 100% a joke at our expense in the situation. His replies to the post point to it as well. The blokes a complete helmet, as Alex says he is one of those blokes who played for those scumbags and likes to think he had a career that mattered there so belittles the clubs he played decently for (see Bellamy as another example). 

What's the issue here? From what I can make out, he supports Liverpool first due to meeting his partner there and them treating him well when he got his cancer diagnosis. Remember how NUFC treated Guitierez btw? He says he want Liverpool to qualify for the CL at the expense of ManU, not us. Honestly don't see why this makes him a helmet, why people are so sensitive about it, and for that matter why anyone gives a fuck either way? 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

What's the issue here? From what I can make out, he supports Liverpool first due to meeting his partner there and them treating him well when he got his cancer diagnosis. Remember how NUFC treated Guitierez btw? He says he want Liverpool to qualify for the CL at the expense of ManU, not us. Honestly don't see why this makes him a helmet, why people are so sensitive about it, and for that matter why anyone gives a fuck either way? 

Why take issue with anyone poking fun at NUFC, or saying things about us if that’s the argument then? When a commentator puts down NUFC and bigs up Liverpool, why is anyone arsed? Sorry like the blokes a wanker, we have our keeper sent off and he will miss a final and the blokes posting stuff laughing about it - call it sensitive but that’s football no? If you make the argument you’re making why be arsed about anything to do with footy :lol: 

I’m sick of all these ex players of ours who have been wankers for years and then when it suits them they’ll cash in that ex player card, for example he’s going to the final. Call it sensitive sure but actual fans can’t get to the match while people like him have a seat, and as I say if we’re not bothered about how he’s acting why take issue with anything to do with football? 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 3

I just care what he did for us a player tbh, he did well, and we got a fair amount in transferring him. I remember him being a committed professional, playing in a team run and managed by utter rabble. I accept Liverpool were and still are a bigger club, especially then, that who your spouse supports will impact on you as a foreigner, and he can mildly take the piss if he likes. He's a Liverpool fan now, that's fair enough imo. I'm not surprised either considering our ownership at the time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

I just care what he did for us a player tbh, he did well, and we got a fair amount in transferring him. I remember him being a committed professional, playing in a team run and managed by utter rabble. I accept Liverpool were and still are a bigger club, especially then, that who your spouse supports will impact on you as a foreigner, and he can mildly take the piss if he likes. He's a Liverpool fan now, that's fair enough imo. I'm not surprised either considering our ownership at the time. 

I called him a tosser the same as I, and many, do when we see people taking the piss out our club. People made up some story about how he was actually having a laugh at his own expense, I corrected them, and now you’re basically explaining why anyone shouldn’t ever be bothered about football rivalries. I expect you’ll be posting less about mackems since they’re just lads who grew up supporting their local club having a laugh about us? Weird argument to me but fair one, I still think Enrique is a bellend, same as I think Carragher, Neville, Bellamy, Dyer, etc are. 

Just now, Howay said:

I called him a tosser the same as I, and many, do when we see people taking the piss out our club. People made up some story about how he was actually having a laugh at his own expense, I corrected them, and now you’re basically explaining why anyone shouldn’t ever be bothered about football rivalries. I expect you’ll be posting less about mackems since they’re just lads who grew up supporting their local club having a laugh about us? Weird argument to me but fair one, I still think Enrique is a bellend, same as I think Carragher, Neville, Bellamy, Dyer, etc are. 

Just think it's completely innocuous imo. Carragher is obviously a huge Liverpool fan and the issue there is Sky putting him on games covering Liverpool. Neville too, although I do have more time for him. Not sure what Dyer and Bellamy have done? They were certainly bell ends when they played for us but not sure since. Don Hutchinson was a cunt mind. 

As for mackems, I've said before in general I don't mind their explayers and managers. Phillipsy, Reidy, Defoey, Hendo, are alright by me. Obviously Pickford has made himself a prick by his own actions. But I enjoy taking the piss out of the fans themselves who are just on a different level to other fans in terms of bitterness and delusion. 

34 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Name me five more instances where it’s happened to other teams

I only really watch us. There's been several occasions this calendar year where Pope has had to make a last minute intervention, usually with his head, well outside the box. Including just 5 minutes before his sending off. I'd say a mistake was always likely and that's what's happened here. It's a balance tjough isn't it? There's definitely been pros about it given how well we've done, but I think better teams maybe can exploit it too. It's my primary concern next week anyway,  hopefully I'm wrong. 

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Aye. You love Liverpool though ;)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Renton said:

I only really watch us. There's been several occasions this calendar year where Pope has had to make a last minute intervention, usually with his head, well outside the box. Including just 5 minutes before his sending off. I'd say a mistake was always likely and that's what's happened here. It's a balance tjough isn't it? There's definitely been pros about it given how well we've done, but I think better teams maybe can exploit it too. It's my primary concern next week anyway,  hopefully I'm wrong. 

It was similar under Keegan all out attack....Pav would race out then try and dribble/knock it past opposing player and nearly give the fans a heart attack