Eddie's Glorious Champions League-bound Mags vs De Zerbi's Stuttering South Coast Soft Shites

Gemmill

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I don’t think a point against Brighton is the worst result. I don’t expect us to dominate possession as we do in most games. They’re one of the most impressive teams I’ve seen this year. It’s the two points dropped on Saturday which could come back to haunt us. 

I expect us to beat Leicester. 

I think I were heading towards an inescapable conclusion: we’re going to need to go to get three points away at Chelsea on the final day 

If that happens, this years Chelsea are not previous years Chelsea, and we certainly owe them, the cunts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

They've beaten Man Utd away, Arsenal away, drew with Liverpool away and narrowly got beat off Man City due to questionable refereeing.

They'll turn up for this and our style of play will suit them down to the ground.

That's a fair point so it wouldn't surprise me if we're a bit more cautious rather than go gung ho. It's still asking a bit to twat arsenal away and us away in a few days. :good:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

They've beaten Man Utd away, Arsenal away, drew with Liverpool away and narrowly got beat off Man City due to questionable refereeing.

They'll turn up for this and our style of play will suit them down to the ground.

We certainly do have to be on it.  I must admit, I do like their manager and the way they play.

We need to go back to being solid and hard to break down in this game (and rest of season) Everton nailed it by flooding the central  midfield areas which have been porous for us recently without Sir Sean. I think Eddie will know this but whether he backs us to over run them or not will be interesting. But their away record shows they'll be hard to beat and not dominate possession.

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm a bit worried about watching Dan Burn's head-tipped-back, silent movie style sprint against their runners on a break.

But I don't know if a) Targett is the answer or b) we should fuck with the formula.

I would definitely start Isak in the middle though. I think Howe will as well as he'll appreciate that we might need to change things if things don't go our way.

Stick with Burn.

Isak more central for def.  I thought when he was moved to a No. 10 with Wilson we looked a LOT better on Saturday. IMO We go with that again.

Max PTS possible
NEW - 75
MNU - 75
LIV    - 71
BRI    - 70

If Liverpool drop points, any points, the CL place is ours. They've got tough games away at Leicester (who should be fighting for their survival), or home to Aston Villa (who are very good under Emery).

We're very good at home, hopefully Longstaff will be back. Also, ironically, if Liverpool do beat Leicester, I think we'll have an easier job putting the Foxes away when we host them. Our final game is at Chelsea and Lampard is a terrible coach.

If Leicester get point(s) from Liverpool tonight, the most they can end the season on is 69*.  Which means we go into the game on Thursday safe in the knowledge that a win guarantees us top 4.

I think it ends;

image.thumb.png.a6a78a3f7e4132d656425afb1f28ac20.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

So assuming from our last 4 we get 5. and Liverpool get 9.  Along with your other predictions

1. City - Lots
2. Bottlers - Less than Lots

3. Man United - 73

4 Newcastle - 71 (Higher GD)

5. Bin Dippers - 71 

Unless we get well and truly turned over that's how it will be.  Our highest defeat this season was v Villa.  We currently have 7 goals on Liverpool.  So IMO I think we are fine.

You're not going to get invited into the Stats crew with maths like that.

We have 3 games left. Ive predicted we get 4 points so that 70 points.

• Haha 2

The next 3 games are going to be great.

How long is it since we had anything positive to look forward to at this stage of a season?

We've waited decades for this.

Whatever happens, this is the beginning of a special time in this club's history.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Holden McGroin said:

We need to go back to being solid and hard to break down in this game (and rest of season) Everton nailed it by flooding the central  midfield areas which have been porous for us recently without Sir Sean. I think Eddie will know this but whether he backs us to over run them or not will be interesting. But their away record shows they'll be hard to beat and not dominate possession.

That's the thing that's concerned me.  Not worried.  That we haven't kept a clean sheet for ages now.  After months of dominating and being solid at the back.

Is it fatigue?  The same CB's have pretty much played all season with little rotation.  Some with Burn and Trippier.  Same with Bruno actually.

1 minute ago, ackas said:

How long is it since we had anything positive to look forward to at this stage of a season?

Whatever happens, this is the beginning of a special time in this club's history.

Thats the thing. It will be disappointing if we don't get CL but then if someone said we'd finish 5 at the start of the season we'd all have taken it. They'll get a fucking great send off from me no matter what. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Holden McGroin said:

You're not going to get invited into the Stats crew with maths like that.

We have 3 games left. Ive predicted we get 4 points so that 70 points.

:lol: 

For some reason I read Liverpool had a game on us :lol: my bad 

• Haha 1

The thing about the scouse cunts being 7 behind on GD is that I don't want to be counting the goals going in against Southampton. We could really do with putting a few past Leicester. 

• Like 2

Just now, ackas said:

That's a good point, I'm nervous but I'd rather this nervousness than being worried about winning to stay up. I fucking hate that jabba bastard for inflicting relegation fights on this club after realistically being miles away from that shit when KK brought us back up.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I think there is a big chance they can turn us over. But even if we draw then going into the last game of the season we'll be nervy as fuck v Chelsea so that could go either way as well. I bet my left nut they'll turn up against us.

Maybe, I really think we need at least a draw against Brighton but take a step back and look at this a bit more rationally. We are a better team than Brighton and are playing them at home which is the strongest fortress outside of Manchester. A win is more likely than a loss imo, despite yesterday. Also, why is everyone assuming that ManU and Liverpool will win all there remaining games? Football doesn't really work like that. It's always us they assume will lose it rather than the others, despite the evidence to the contrary this season (with both NW teams having hasd some appalling results). 

There's a chance they're a bit fatigued too. They've played 4 in the last 15 days, including the shoeing at Everton, 100 minutes vs Man United, and then that big effort at Arsenal.

And they have to travel up here.

Our last 4 games have come over the last 19 days.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ackas said:

Is a good way to look at it.

I was listening to the much-derided TF podcast this morning and the youngest lad on there was was saying "we have to enjoy these games. At this stage of the season, usually the only thing we are playing for is survival. This time were guaranteed Europa League and have a massive shot at CL."

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Would anyone be confident of going to the Emirates and winning then going to old Trafford and doing the same a few days later? If anything that result on Sunday is a warning we need to be focused, cut out the shit, give them the respect they deserve and be on it all game plus be prepared to do a bit of defending. It's going to be a hard game but it's also going to be a hard game for Brighton after they've went to arsenal and twatted them to expect them to come up here and do it all again when, if anything, our need realistically is greater than Arsenal who in their hearts must've knew it was over anyway. Keep the faith, crank the noise up, don't be fucking fannies in the stands if Brighton are keeping possession, treat it like arsenal at home last year, patience when not on the ball and get at them when you can. Beat these and at the very worst we are four points ahead of Liverpool with two games left presuming they beat Leicester. If anything, Brighton might have just extra focused a couple of minds by beating arsenal so well. It's a tough ask for them as well to follow that up again up here a few days later. They're not Man City however good they play at times. :good:

Well said. Exactly this. They're a good team, but so are we. At home, we are the second best in the league. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

There's a chance they're a bit fatigued too. They've played 4 in the last 15 days, including the shoeing at Everton, 100 minutes vs Man United, and then that big effort at Arsenal.

And they have to travel up here.

Our last 4 games have come over the last 19 days.

Their fatigue showed against Everton and they got mullered. Our fatigue showed against Leeds and we still should have won the game. We're a nastier side than Arsenal and Brighton are. If the boys are up for it (and I'm convinced the crowd will make fucking sure they are, we can bully those lily-livered namby pamby, soft southern yella-bellied, rats with wings.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Is a good way to look at it.

I was listening to the much-derided TF podcast this morning and the youngest lad on there was was saying "we have to enjoy these games. At this stage of the season, usually the only thing we are playing for is survival. This time were guaranteed Europa League and have a massive shot at CL."

'Errrmmm, well, like errrrrm, wellll, heee heeee, eeeerrrrrrrmmm, like'

'Here pet, shut the fuck up and this is how it is'

• Haha 3

Brighton are definitely going to be tough. Maybe the toughest match of the season in terms of their style as they are perhaps the most press resistant side in the PL.

We produced our worst xG (0.15) from open play against them earlier in the season. This game comes on the back of our 4th worst performance in terms of xG created from open play of the season against Leeds. The only worse performances on that metric were the two 0-0 away draws to ManU and Arsenal. which were perhaps examples of a couple of games this season where we played for a draw (at least somewhat). So, basically, it's going to be a tough match in terms of creating opportunities from open play since we tend to create quick chances from turnovers high up the pitch, which is exactly what Brighton seldom allow against them. And we are typically not the type of side to score goals from patient build up play. And the less said about our likelihood to score from set pieces the better (as of late).

That all being said, Brighton have two massive away games inside a week. That takes a toll. It did us in against Villa (although that was three in a week but still). Playing 2nd and 3rd away from home in quick succession is difficult for anyone. Everton got the better of Brighton because they were tired on the back of a short turn around so hopefully we can do the same. If Everton can then we fucking absolutely can at a canter. Plus, there's always that element of difficulty in getting the same level of performance in two big games in a row, regardless of the rest period in between. So, there are numerous things going in our favour in terms of the fixture timing.

Given the tenseness of the situation and the importance of the game and potentially some weariness in their legs, the start is going to be more important than your average. Score early and we'll do them easy. Like I said, 4-0 earlier. Believe!

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, ackas said:

100%

it'll be nerve-shredding mind. i forgot what it was like to watch a tough away match at the business end of the season when there's so much at stake. i was pacing around the living room in the final 10 minutes against leeds. 

i'm looking forward to getting shitfaced and trying to help roar the lads home on thursday. the crowd could make the difference. i hope we  - as supporters - don't turn up expecting to win and the fans are as vocal as they would be against man u or liverpool at home. we have to go into this knowing that a win is absolutely massive for us given the strength of the opposition and the atmosphere could make a massive difference. 

i still believe we should be celebrating whatever happens. no fuss was really made of it at the weekend but we should be celebrating now as the lowest we can finish is 5th. we're guaranteed europa league footie next season - who wouldn't have taken that at the start of the season?

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

'Errrmmm, well, like errrrrm, wellll, heee heeee, eeeerrrrrrrmmm, like'

'Here pet, shut the fuck up and this is how it is'

Charlotte wasn't on, you MISOGYNIST PIG.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, toonotl said:

Brighton are definitely going to be tough. Maybe the toughest match of the season in terms of their style as they are perhaps the most press resistant side in the PL.

We produced our worst xG (0.15) from open play against them earlier in the season. This game comes on the back of our 4th worst performance in terms of xG created from open play of the season against Leeds. The only worse performances on that metric were the two 0-0 away draws to ManU and Arsenal. which were perhaps examples of a couple of games this season where we played for a draw (at least somewhat). So, basically, it's going to be a tough match in terms of creating opportunities from open play since we tend to create quick chances from turnovers high up the pitch, which is exactly what Brighton seldom allow against them. And we are typically not the type of side to score goals from patient build up play. And the less said about our likelihood to score from set pieces the better (as of late).

That all being said, Brighton have two massive away games inside a week. That takes a toll. It did us in against Villa (although that was three in a week but still). Playing 2nd and 3rd away from home in quick succession is difficult for anyone. Everton got the better of Brighton because they were tired on the back of a short turn around so hopefully we can do the same. If Everton can then we fucking absolutely can at a canter. Plus, there's always that element of difficulty in getting the same level of performance in two big games in a row, regardless of the rest period in between. So, there are numerous things going in our favour in terms of the fixture timing.

Given the tenseness of the situation and the importance of the game and potentially some weariness in their legs, the start is going to be more important than your average. Score early and we'll do them easy. Like I said, 4-0 earlier. Believe!

Agreed. Except I don't think the away leg is relevant. We hadn't evenb signed Isak at that point. And since then, who has been the better team overall? We need a bit of luck, luck that wasn't forthcoming against Arsenal. My head says we will get it. My sphincter is less certain. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

Would anyone be confident of going to the Emirates and winning then going to old Trafford and doing the same a few days later? If anything that result on Sunday is a warning we need to be focused, cut out the shit, give them the respect they deserve and be on it all game plus be prepared to do a bit of defending. It's going to be a hard game but it's also going to be a hard game for Brighton after they've went to arsenal and twatted them to expect them to come up here and do it all again when, if anything, our need realistically is greater than Arsenal who in their hearts must've knew it was over anyway. Keep the faith, crank the noise up, don't be fucking fannies in the stands if Brighton are keeping possession, treat it like arsenal at home last year, patience when not on the ball and get at them when you can. Beat these and at the very worst we are four points ahead of Liverpool with two games left presuming they beat Leicester. If anything, Brighton might have just extra focused a couple of minds by beating arsenal so well. It's a tough ask for them as well to follow that up again up here a few days later. They're not Man City however good they play at times. :good:

Fucking this x 100.

Brighton did Arsenal because Arsenal won their cup final against us and thought Brighton would be piss easy.

I get two things out of that.

Firstly the fans of Arsenal/ManU/Liverpool/Citeh might try to tell us we're nothing, just a jumped up temporary visitor to the top of the table but Arteta, Guardiola, etc know that's not true, so they prepare their teams to the minute detail to beat us.

Arsenal didn't use their "game management" against Brighton like they did against us, because they don't (rightly or wrongly) fear Brighton and where they will sit on the table in seasons to come, you fucking know they do NUFC.

And the second thing, Howe would never allow his team to be so lax and disregarding of any opposition - he's made that mistake in the FA Cup this season and won't fuck it up again.

He knows it isn't our right to be up the top of the table - you get what you earn, irrespective of history; although I do fear he is naive enough to believe there isn't a bias towards the "established" top clubs by officials but that will change.

So Gemmil get your big balls and tiny chinese mouse cock out and wave them all about, as we cruise to our top 4 finish.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4