Comparison

The Fish

Feels like this season isn't getting the credit it deserves.

19 wins is the most in the top flight since 2011/12

14 draws is the most in the top flight since 2004/05

5 losses is the fewest in the top flight, ever. Only beaten by our Championship season under Hughton in 09/10

68 goals for is the most scored since 2001/02

33 goals against is the fewest goals conceded since 1904/05, when we won the league.

+35 is our best Goal difference in the top flight since 1926/27, when we won the league.

71pts is our biggest points return in the top flight since 2001/02.

The difference between our pts total last season vs this is huge, 22pts! No team made a bigger improvement. 

image.png.7d14b0d520aac192bae14dd8231b9d00.png

Since we were promoted our ability to create and prevent chances had been pretty poor but look at it now, and we're back to conceding less and scoring more than the league average too;

(dashed line is league average.

image.png.90d4c05a1b3d7d372a1a1740e8a04f44.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

5 losses is the fewest in the top flight, ever. Only beaten by our Championship season under Hughton in 09/10

33 goals against is the fewest goals conceded since 1904/05, when we won the league.

+35 is our best Goal difference in the top flight since 1926/27, when we won the league.

The difference between our pts total last season vs this is huge, 22pts! No team made a bigger improvement. 

Since we were promoted our ability to create and prevent chances had been pretty poor but look at it now, and we're back to conceding less and scoring more than the league average too;

GA and xGA, wow.  

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Pretty amazing season but even more so when it’s spelled out like that.
On the second one I’d have gone for a stepped line chart just to show the massive jump in terms of points won. Yeah, I know: DWEEB! 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

I'm guessing that's from the season start too, if you did it from when Howe took over compared with previous 1 1/2 season I reckon it would be the biggest improvement since Ranieri at Leicester. 

I see Guardiola has won manager of the season, before the FA cup and CL finals. Surely if he loses one of these Howe is more deserving? 

29 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

If he gets out-foxed by the Bald Fraud, he should be fucking sacked.

Da fuck did I do? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

52 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'm guessing that's from the season start too, if you did it from when Howe took over compared with previous 1 1/2 season I reckon it would be the biggest improvement since Ranieri at Leicester. 

I see Guardiola has won manager of the season, before the FA cup and CL finals. Surely if he loses one of these Howe is more deserving? 

Dunno if winning the PL with an expensively assembled side, that you've worked with for years and added a freak of nature to, is really worthy?

Forget about Howe for a second, De Zerbi, Emery, O'Neill, and Arteta all deserve huge credit for the way they've guided their less expensively assembled squads, that they haven't worked with for long, without a goal scoring phenom up top.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Dunno if winning the PL with an expensively assembled side, that you've worked with for years and added a freak of nature to, is really worthy?

Forget about Howe for a second, De Zerbi, Emery, O'Neill, and Arteta all deserve huge credit for the way they've guided their less expensively assembled squads, that they haven't worked with for long, without a goal scoring phenom up top.

O’Neil isn’t popular at Bournemouth… if they’re in the bottom three come October I think he’ll go…

• Like 2

I mean, don't get me wrong, Pep Guardiola is clearly an excellent manager and the challenges he faces are as disparate as they are difficult. However, they've done worse this season by key metrics;

image.png.0e8e8e9b2453dc27d211813ebe4ebd3e.png

Creating and scoring fewer, conceding and allowing more chances. Fewer points too.

54 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I mean, don't get me wrong, Pep Guardiola is clearly an excellent manager and the challenges he faces are as disparate as they are difficult. However, they've done worse this season by key metrics;

image.png.0e8e8e9b2453dc27d211813ebe4ebd3e.png

Creating and scoring fewer, conceding and allowing more chances. Fewer points too.

Animated GIF

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, The Fish said:

Exactly, take nothing away from Pep, he's obviously a brilliant manager, but much of the work done in getting that team to the level they are was done last season and prior. Then this season they've added a superhuman goal scoring machine and have achieved at their expected level. Arteta, much of the groundwork was done prior to this season but there was a noted improvement from last season to this, so he's a valid contender. I think for a manager of the season you need to look at the progression the side has made from the previous season to this. Emery has done fantastically well at Villa so again a very strong contender, if he was there all season and they returned like they did during his 20 games then he should have got it. De Zerbi is dezerbing too, but the numbers don't lie, Eddie Howe should have been manager of the season. There'a no way he will be able to get it next season now, short of winning the league which is just not realistic in such a short time frame, finishing in the top four again for next season would again be a brilliant result and that won't put him in contention for it, as they'll make out it's not a big achievement despite our wages being mid table. They may as well just default to giving it to the manager of the team that wins based off this decision.

Man City didn't pull Arsenal back in through any great tactical changes, it was a case of Arsenal stumbling and dropping points that they were winning at the start of the season. For me, Pep winning Manager of the Season is a cop out. If they were undefeated for the season then sure, you'd have a case for giving it to him, but when you're clear favourite in EVERY SINGLE GAME YOU PLAY* winning the league really is not that impressive against a number of other managers who have their squads punching well above their weights.

* - Including the legal game against all comers; FIFA, UEFA, FA etc.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Renton said:

It is Premier League manager of the season, so I suppose those don't count anyway.  Always seems a cop out when the manager of the winning team gets it, almost by default.

Eddie, Arteta, De Zerbi, Thomas Frank, Emery. All of those for me should rank higher than Pep for PL manager of the year. They've all performed above expectation.