Middle East Crisis

Rayvin

19 minutes ago, Renton said:

Nit harsh on Biden there. I dread to think what the situation would be like under Trump....

Yeah. It’s just I can’t see him grasping the nettle tbh.  These thoughts have been swilling around my head for a few days. If they’re going round mine surely to fuck someone who can actually make a difference might be thinking them too? …

Edited by PaddockLad

53 minutes ago, Renton said:

Bit harsh on Biden there. I dread to think what the situation would be like under Trump....

I think he’s better at geopolitics than he’s given credit for personally. I appreciate that’s a minority view and I’m not going to argue the point so call me a cunt and we’ll move on. 😎

4 minutes ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

I think he’s better at geopolitics than he’s given credit for personally. I appreciate that’s a minority view and I’m not going to argue the point so call me a cunt and we’ll move on. 😎

Call me a cunt too cos I agree. No doubting his age is inevitably an issue though. Wish we had a statesman like Obama in these troubled times, someone with youthful vigour and respected the world over. 

8 hours ago, Renton said:

Hamas knew this, but did this anyway, presumably on purpose. In a way, they have done this to their own people. They could rerlease the hostages, after all, then the moral burden would be shifted to Israel. Why won't they? 

What Hamas was trying to achieve last week I honestly don't know, can't get my head around it. Desperation, anger, pure madness, attempt to bring the issue to the fore? It's lunacy whatever it was. 

A vastly different situation to this of course but I go back to my own experiences with terrorism growing up in a post 9/11 Pakistan battling with insurgents who claimed to be resisting the US invasion into Afghanistan. Over 50,000 civilians dead for a war we weren't even directly fighting. Vast majority of people in the country opposed the US invasion and the logistics/intelligence support from Pakistan so no one could understand why these insurgents were exacting 'revenge' from the average civilian, killing kids? Muslims killing muslims? (not exactly a holy war eh). Was the violence helping to keep the matter relevant in national politics? Were they just angry and/or mad? Pushing their agenda to flare violence and recruit more people? I don't know the answers. Its just mad right? Wrong on so many levels. 

Yet this has been the common response to occupation/invasion throughout history. This is why the mindless statements of support for Israel's brutalities from many developed nations are so important. There is no hope if we cannot exert some level of fairness into our reactions. It really comes down to the age old adage for me, no justice no peace.  

• Like 4

I don’t mean this to offend anyone and it’s not meant to support / excuse Hamas’ actions at all. But talk of the UK offering military support to Israel in this conflict makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable. I’m not sure if that’s still on the table but it was being discussed in the last couple of days 

Maybe related, what with it being World Jihad Day, but as I drove past Armstrong Vickers on Scotswood Rd. about an hour ago, there was a huge police presence- probably 20-30 coppers at both gates and all along the fence. 

And one, single daftie dancing about with a Palestine flag. 

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

I don’t mean this to offend anyone and it’s not meant to support / excuse Hamas’ actions at all. But talk of the UK offering military support to Israel in this conflict makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable. I’m not sure if that’s still on the table but it was being discussed in the last couple of days 

Yeah. I know what you mean. Surely Israel have the military power to deal with Palestine (rightly or wrongly). We probably just followed the US is solidarity. 

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Maybe related, what with it being World Jihad Day, but as I drove past Armstrong Vickers on Scotswood Rd. about an hour ago, there was a huge police presence- probably 20-30 coppers at both gates and all along the fence. 

And one, single daftie dancing about with a Palestine flag. 

I hope you're pleased with yourself wasting all those police resources then.

I Dont Think So No Way GIF by UFC

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

I hope you're pleased with yourself wasting all those police resources then.

I Dont Think So No Way GIF by UFC

I got the distinct impression that daft lad was just a happy accident- the Bacons were out in force , maybe a tip-off, maybe just caution? 

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

Play off to decide who owns East Jerusalem?

Christmas kick arounds ceased somewhere between 1914 and 1917. Someone should tell Infantino to stick to fraud and stay out of geopolitics.

• Like 2