Señore Pioli's "Americans in the midfield" Milan vs. Meester Eddie's Iron Men XI

Zathras

1 minute ago, Renton said:

I completely agree re: where we were and the future I just think it's delusional to pretend finishing last place was a good thing, which is what a lot of people have convinced themselves of. I always assumed under Keegan and Robson after each disappointment we'd win something at a later point, and we never did. I know things are genuinely different now, but my guess is our history is giving me nagging doubts. 

Well what's more delusional, thinking we can win the league cup and progress in the CL, and beat the mackem in the cup, and get back into Europe next season?

Something had to give.

• Like 1

We’re very early in a long term ‘project’. Don’t really like that term in relation to us but I suppose it’s what it is. It was fleeting and less sustainable under Robson and KK for reasons we don’t really need to go in to. That was a kick in the stotts but seriously competing for trophies for the foreseeable is a very real prospect. We’re only disappointed with recent results because we’re so far ahead of schedule. 

• Like 5

Aye. Top four is gone for me. Fifth was our best bet.  Sad to say but Villa managed their fixtures/players better.  Fair enough we’ve had a bit of bad luck with injuries but our style of play runs players into the ground. 

I still think we are too threadbare to take Chelsea down and even the unwashed will be a challenge with our abysmal away form.  

Hopefully we can scrape through these games and it will look rosy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Aye. Top four is gone for me. Fifth was our best bet.  Sad to say but Villa managed their fixtures/players better.  Fair enough we’ve had a bit of bad luck with injuries but our style of play runs players into the ground. 

I still think we are too threadbare to take Chelsea down and even the unwashed will be a challenge with our abysmal away form.  

I know the disappointment is raw but this is an incredibly negative take.

There is nothing to suggest we will lose to Chelsea. They’ve been dogshit for a couple of seasons. 

It’s been a massively disappointing week of results but we’ve been as good as Chelsea have been shit over the same time period.

We probably won’t won’t get champions league this season but I wouldn’t bet against it. Our chance of doing it again has increased now we don’t have the extra European fixtures. 

Remember how low we felt after the league cup final defeat. Remember what happened next. The manager galvanised the players and we finished 4th. 

As for losing to the mackems - howay man. I didn’t have you down as a bed wetter 

19 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Even Renton would think this is negative :lol: 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

There is nothing to suggest we will lose to Chelsea. They’ve been dogshit for a couple of seasons. 

As for losing to the mackems - howay man. I didn’t have you down as a bed wetter 

Have you seen us play away this year? Even the Nerd boys will back that up cold hard facts if you think you're eyes are deceiving you.

Do you remember when we lost a cup final last season? 

I can't believe some of you didn't actually just end it all when that happened based on the reactions to us going out of the Champions League in disappointing but (be honest) expected fashion from the hardest group in the competition

• Haha 4

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

Have you seen us play away this year? Even the Nerd boys will back that up cold hard facts if you think you're eyes are deceiving you.

i've seen good performances and bad ones away from home this year - it hasn't been as shit as the result have suggested, the last two away performance aside. certainly not enough to suggest we won't beat sunlan

Just now, Andrew said:

Do you remember when we lost a cup final last season? 

I can't believe some of you didn't actually just end it all when that happened based on the reactions to us going out of the Champions League in disappointing but (be honest) expected fashion from the hardest group in the competition

Not at all. Im basing this on our squad fatigue, injuries and abysmal away record. 

Just for the record im fully behind all management and team. Im not the type to target individual players when we don't win.  The upcoming fixtures are a big test to us with the state of the squad. We could sail through two cup competitions and all will look peachy again.

3 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

How many mid table Championship sides have we played in those away fixtures?

RANCID PATTER.

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i've seen good performances and bad ones away from home this year - it hasn't been as shit as the result have suggested, the last two away performance aside. certainly not enough to suggest we won't beat sunlan

I don't think it will be a walk in the park with our away record. And we've gone out to Sheff Wed (3rd tier) and Cambridge (4th tier?)  in the past two seasons.

1 win in 6 is the bottom line when all context is removed and that am suspecting will be the bottom line in Riyadh. Last season was a continuation of the joy of 7 October 2021 and the part season that followed. This season is the real transitional season when what we properly need to move to the next level can be assessed. There’s a chance PiF will want to try to ensure champions league football next season, FFP notwithstanding. Six Bruce era players on the pitch at full time last night :cuppa: 

• Like 1

How much of our away form is down to the fatigue and injuries? It's a lot different playing in an environment where there are thousands of people against you as opposed to cheering you on. Adrenaline is a fucking mental thing. We haven't even been that shit away from home other than the last few weeks.

City away - held them to a goal, how many teams will do that? Not many.

Battered Man Utd at old trafford

Battered Sheff Utd when the other "big" teams were struggling to put many past them.

Milan - Held them to a draw.

PSG - Robbed.

Wolves and West Ham - Draws but these are both teams in decent form and very hard to beat, so draws are good results IMO.

Brighton - Dog shit - our worst performance this season all things considered.

The recent ones are down to the same players playing almost every minute of every game, coupled with it being away from home. Plus we've been away from home a lot lately it feels, that doesn't help. Once we have a bench of legit squad players back in the fold our form will absolutely improve. If it doesn't, I have a load of pitch forks and tiki torches I can sell you. I'll set up a little stand outside the training ground and make a fucking fortune.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Was a pleasure to meet and chat with @thebrokendolllast night before the game, good crack indeed but I was expecting a gnarled, weathered old sweat but he was actually a well spoken chap, not too dissimilar to Jacob Rees Mogg in looks and speech. :good:

;)

likewise meeting you mate!

spot on description too, i've always liked to think of meself as a well heeled, hugely respected member of the cotswolds gentry.

counting down the days now to the boxing day hunts.

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Was a pleasure to meet and chat with @thebrokendolllast night before the game, good crack indeed but I was expecting a gnarled, weathered old sweat but he was actually a well spoken chap, not too dissimilar to Jacob Rees Mogg in looks and speech. :good:

;)

What time did you get back from Cheltenham this morning then? :lol:

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

;)

Are you sure you didn't meet up with - erm - Jacob Rees Mogg? 

• Haha 6

There’s some bellend from some soi-disant ‘human rights organisation’ from Cheltenham keeps sending (what I consider to be) spurious FOI requests to the cabinet office. I hadn’t put two and two together until now ;) 

• Haha 4