23/24 Run In

The Fish

There's an irony here in that in cities which are truly united in a football sense, that is, have one representative team, I guess it's just easier for people outside those cities to refer to the city names (Newcastle, Leeds). Whereas in cities where a team has the suffix "united" but aren't really united at all, because there is another team from the same place, it makes more sense to just used the suffix. But it still grates for ManU given they were formed years after the like of Sheffield or us.

And, whereas obviously its fine for mancs to use this terminology, it NEVER is on this board. But we'll let this go for LB this time. After all, Rayvin would have been banned many times over if we adopted a more hardline approach [\mutter]. 

It's southern journalists and fans doing it that boils my piss. Obviously mancs will do it and they'd be weird not to, some cockney wanker doing it is a different matter. 

• Like 2

I don't get why the press don't call them Man Yoo? It's shorter than 'United'. It is instantly clear who they're talking about too. 

Trickier with Man City though. 

i always thought of city as the blues until i moved down south and things got confusing. 

to be fair it only really got confusing when abramovich turned up. before that you i hadn't met any chelsea blues 😏

you're right about one club cities though. Leicester are just Leicester. Southampton, Portsmouth, etc. weird there's no club prefixed London. Presumeably Sunderland are just Sunderland but i'm sure you can correct me if they have other nicknames🤐

for you guys i've always heard the toon, geordies, barcodes, sometimes newcastle. i'd never knowingly heard you called united until i came here. although maybe in the odd commentary. no idea if any of those nicknames are taboo.

5 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

i always thought of city as the blues until i moved down south and things got confusing. 

to be fair it only really got confusing when abramovich turned up. before that you i hadn't met any chelsea blues 😏

you're right about one club cities though. Leicester are just Leicester. Southampton, Portsmouth, etc. weird there's no club prefixed London. Presumeably Sunderland are just Sunderland but i'm sure you can correct me if they have other nicknames🤐

for you guys i've always heard the toon, geordies, barcodes, sometimes newcastle. i'd never knowingly heard you called united until i came here. although maybe in the odd commentary. no idea if any of those nicknames are taboo.

Mackems have an A in there, which I presume is for Association, but they tell everyone is for Athletic because they are such good marras with Bilbao. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Mackems have an A in there, which I presume is for Association, but they tell everyone is for Athletic because they are such good marras with Bilbao. 

Stands for Always, as in…

S- underland

A - lways

F- ucking 

C - hildren 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Stands for Always, as in…

S- underland

A - lways

F- ucking 

C - hildren 

i guess that'll be why they were so keen to buy Adam Johnson from us

11 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Sunderland 

Amateur

Football 

Club

:good:

• Haha 1

Well you learn something new everyday. I always thought the A was for Abysmal. :cuppa:

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

We are a true United though - formed by the amalgamation of Newcastle West End who had the ground and Newcastle East End who had the better team/setup. 

• Like 4

Just now, NJS said:

We are a true United though - formed by the amalgamation of Newcastle West End who had the ground and Newcastle East End who had the better team/setup. 

Aren’t most United teams a weird case of merging a cricket club with a footy team, so actually we’re the odd one out (despite ours making by far the most sense)

Since we have very few new members on here let alone those from other clubs I say the only rational conclusion to this slip up is take it easy on the lad and not go overboard. So just maybe

off with his head GIF

• Haha 2

Do any of us actually refer to us as United?  Obviously there's the United chant at the matches but I don't think I've ever heard anyone from here or anywhere else refer to us as United.  I mean it annoys me a much as the next person when the press and sky pundits refer to Man U as United as if they're the only one, but I think the reality is, we don't use it for ourselves either.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Do any of us actually refer to us as United?  Obviously there's the United chant at the matches but I don't think I've ever heard anyone from here or anywhere else refer to us as United.  I mean it annoys me a much as the next person when the press and sky pundits refer to Man U as United as if they're the only one, but I think the reality is, we don't use it for ourselves either.  

At the match I'd use it at times, not just the United chant. 

I think up till the early 90s if you walked into a pub in Newcastle and talked about United most people would think Newcastle. Fairly sure that’s not the case now 

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

At the match I'd use it at times, not just the United chant. 

In what context?  I'm not doubting you here btw, I'm just interested in how you would do it.  I honestly can't think of a time when I've heard anyone say "I'm off to see united today" or something like that.  I suppose I could envisage someone saying "for fucks sake united come on" or something like that I suppose.  I certainly would never dream of saying that I supported united if someone asked me.  And not just because I would expect them to assume I meant Manchester.  Newcastle would be the name that always immediately came to mind.

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

I think up till the early 90s if you walked into a pub in Newcastle and talked about United most people would think Newcastle. Fairly sure that’s not the case now 

Would you have said something like "did you see how united played on Saturday"?  Not being old enough to be in pubs til the mid 90's, I might have missed the boat on that time but I honestly can't remember such talk.  Tbh I would just expect someone to say did you see the match and everyone would assume you were talking about us, I don't think you have to really refer to us by any name most of the time if you're in the city.  I suppose with the sheer volume of matches on the telly these days (not even counting the fact that you can see every match if you have the right access to streams) it's more possible people could be unsure which match you meant.

I think you're correct in that it wouldn't be used "conversationally" but I lament the loss of all of the songs containing it - "They call us Newcastle United" was always a favourite of mine. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

In what context?  I'm not doubting you here btw, I'm just interested in how you would do it.  I honestly can't think of a time when I've heard anyone say "I'm off to see united today" or something like that.  I suppose I could envisage someone saying "for fucks sake united come on" or something like that I suppose.  I certainly would never dream of saying that I supported united if someone asked me.  And not just because I would expect them to assume I meant Manchester.  Newcastle would be the name that always immediately came to mind.

I'd use it shouting encouragement if we're sustaining some attacks/got them on the ropes, 'howay United! Howay Newcastle!' that sort of stuff. Every local paper would never say 'newcastle are after etc, etc..' it would always be 'United win thriller at wherever' and in print it was always prevalent. NJS nails it tbh. :good:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

It's southern journalists and fans doing it that boils my piss. Obviously mancs will do it and they'd be weird not to, some cockney wanker doing it is a different matter. 

I’m not too fond of Shearer doing it either 

• Jaysus... 1

4 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'd use it shouting encouragement if we're sustaining some attacks/got them on the ropes,

HMHM is just the Geordie version of this:

• Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'd use it shouting encouragement if we're sustaining some attacks/got them on the ropes, 'howay United! Howay Newcastle!' that sort of stuff. Every local paper would never say 'newcastle are after etc, etc..' it would always be 'United win thriller at wherever' and in print it was always prevalent. NJS nails it tbh. :good:

Yeah, know what you mean. When I'm at the match nowadays, I have to shout "Come on UNITED! I mean Newcastle United, formed from the merger of Newcastle East end and and Newcastle Westend clubs in 1892, not the the club from Newton Heath who erroneously only became Manchester United in 1902". Just doesn't have the same ring to it, the manc cunts. 

• Haha 4