General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Honestly, the best thing to do is to see a financial advisor. They'll do a "financial health" type review and make sure you've got sensible life/illness insurance in place to look after your family if anything happens to you. 

But then they'll go through current retirement plans (hopes!) and tell you whether a) you're on track or b) you need to do x, y and z to get there. 

It doesn't cost you anything cos they make their money from commissions on, for example, you taking out the insurances that they recommend you to. But they'll go through and show you how your pension would kick in post retirement and what level of lifestyle it would support and for how long etc. 

It just means you're informed - it might be that they tell you that you're set fair and you can get whatever car you like, but at least you know. 

I've got a mate who does all this shit for me if you were ever interested and didnt know where to go. My advice is get all the insurances in place when you're younger and definitely BEFORE you've got a pacemaker. :lol:

It doesn't matter how much I explain that my pacemaker cured my issue and I'm not at any risk, they have a box that they tick that says pacemaker and your premiums go WILD. 

Might do thanks. I've got a £300k life insurance policy to cover the term of the mortgage. So if I peg it before 60 the house will be paid off and the family will have a chunk left over. If I die after 60 then they will at least be mortgage free 

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

WHat's this 150, 200m shit you talk of? 

National lottery thing called powerball, just jackpotted to $200 000 000 Australian pesos.

Stupidly if I won it, I'd employ people and end up working harder, but it would be my productions and no fucking frankengrabs.

Edited by sammynb
  • Like 1

Just now, sammynb said:

National lottery thing called powerball, just jackpotted to $200 000 000 Australian pesos.

Stupidly if I won it, I employ people and end up working harder, but it would be my productions and no fucking frankengrabs.

Right. These huge jackpots fuck me off. How greedy are people. I might enter it if it was 200 chances of winning a million (still life changes i.e. retirement here I come), not one chance in winning 200 million though. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Renton said:

Genuinely thought you were retired. I'm going to an old colleagues retirement leaving do next month. He's 58, full NHS pension, jammy bastard. I want to wind down by 60, probably go part time if I can. Mortgage should be just about paid off by then and obviously I hope not, but good chance of inheritance. 

I feel sorry for younger people. Everything is just getting worse, including work conditions and housing. A Lot of people will end up dying before they can retire.

HMHM has entered the chat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Renton said:

Right. These huge jackpots fuck me off. How greedy are people. I might enter it if it was 200 chances of winning a million (still life changes i.e. retirement here I come), not one chance in winning 200 million though. 

You didn't see where I said I've resigned myself to not retiring until 70?

Only the lucky win lotteries, we support NUFC!

• Like 1

My plan is to “retire” next year. The aim is to have a nice 100k crypto pot that I will use to put a couple of trades on each week, hopefully from the back of a nice camper van as the sun beats down.

If that all goes to shit then I’ll carry on just doing a few hours taxin’ing a day till I drop.

Tbf, I’ve been pretty much semi retired since my 40’s.

My FiL retired from BT somehow on basically 70% at the age of 45. Must be getting on 30 years now, how that works economically fuck knows. And of course he will have a state pension too now. It's why I get so fucked off with these boomer cunts, you can see them in town eating and drinking every work day. Instead of appreciating how good they've had it, a lot are just fucking gammon cunts falsely remembering "how hard they had it" and actively fucking over their children and children voting Brexit and Tory. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Renton said:

Genuinely thought you were retired. I'm going to an old colleagues retirement leaving do next month. He's 58, full NHS pension, jammy bastard. I want to wind down by 60, probably go part time if I can. Mortgage should be just about paid off by then and obviously I hope not, but good chance of inheritance. 

I feel sorry for younger people. Everything is just getting worse, including work conditions and housing. A lot of people will end up dying before they can retire.

Nope. May be very old but still plodding along. Probably no chance of inheritance so I'll have to build up the super (pension) a bit more. Probably be working till lunchtime on the day of my funeral. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Renton said:

I regard it as a charitable donation when I pay for a ticket. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I know it’s a highly unlikely scenario but I think actually winning that much would create more problems than it solves. Seems like it would make you and anyone close to you a massive target for criminals and so on. If you won 1 or 2 million you could probably just go on like before. Just with a more carefree lifestyle 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Alex said:

I know it’s a highly unlikely scenario but I think actually winning that much would create more problems than it solves. Seems like it would make you and anyone close to you a massive target for criminals and so on. If you won 1 or 2 million you could probably just go on like before. Just with a more carefree lifestyle 

I'm willing to give it a go. 🙂 

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

Just don't tell anyone, take the family and fuck off to a nice area and never speak to your peasant friends and family again. You could just buy better friends.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Dazzler said:

Just don't tell anyone, take the family and fuck off to a nice area and never speak to your peasant friends and family again. You could just buy better friends.

I think that’s still very risky. Having thought about it I reckon I should just go alone in this scenario 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Naah, private militia and machine gun posts are the way to go. 

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think that’s still very risky. Having thought about it I reckon I should just go alone in this scenario 

"I'm just nipping out on the old canoe, pet. I won't be long."

Then fuck off to some uninhabited island somewhere. Good plan tbf.

• Haha 4

The thing to do is don't tell anyone and don't make any changes to your lifestyle. 

Stay in your job, maybe upgrade your cutlery and a couple of your power tools. But otherwise keep it entirely on the DL. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Naah, private militia and machine gun posts are the way to go. 

I imagine your neighbours in Darras Hall would be a bit concerned :lol:

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The thing to do is don't tell anyone and don't make any changes to your lifestyle. 

Stay in your job, maybe upgrade your cutlery and a couple of your power tools. But otherwise keep it entirely on the DL. 

Buy 10 of everything from Primark whenever you shop there so everyone still thinks you're a tramp. Have 5 cars but they are all white Sanderos and kept in garages scattered throughout the city. The most important thing is this though - buy top notch electronic equipment - the best telly's, consoles etc, but make sure you knock up a few snide invoices from Brighthouse and leave them dotted around your house so everyone suspects you got them on tick whenever they come to visit.

Problem solved.

Plus you'll still have hundreds of millions sat in a basic savings account that you can look at and feel good about yourself whenever you want.

• Haha 6

As far as criminals targeting my family, it's not what any of them want to hear but I'm afraid my strict policy is that I don't negotiate with terrorists. 

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

As far as criminals targeting my family, it's not what any of them want to hear but I'm afraid my strict policy is that I don't negotiate with terrorists. 

"Hello?

Who?

I think you must have the wrong number, I don't know anyone called mam, mate."

• Haha 3

Realise I’m lucky (or unlucky) but I got a lumper when my dad died so I paid the mortgage off last month.

Looking to go down to part time well before 50 now

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Renton said:

Get more people buying tickets to win mega-ultra-uber-jackpot than you would if it was "just" £1m.

In the UK I think there's a chance to £1m with every ticket you buy for the Euros, not sure if its the same for the UK Lotto. 

I got made redundant half an hour ago, so my answer to this question might be in the process of shifting. :lol:

No great surprise tbh, they've decided to just nix the entire UK team rather than doing things by half measures. I think the company is in trouble and, to a wider extent, the industry is too, so getting out of dodge with a decent chunk of redundancy while there's still any money to be had might turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

I might go back to university, I've always liked lentils...

• Sad 9

9 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I got made redundant half an hour ago, so my answer to this question might be in the process of shifting. :lol:

No great surprise tbh, they've decided to just nix the entire UK team rather than doing things by half measures. I think the company is in trouble and, to a wider extent, the industry is too, so getting out of dodge with a decent chunk of redundancy while there's still any money to be had might turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

I might go back to university, I've always liked lentils...

Ah fuck, sorry to hear this mate. Hope you can find something new sharpish. 

Absolute bullshit that a genuine skill of being multilingual has been banjaxed by technology. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Ah fuck, sorry to hear this mate. Hope you can find something new sharpish. 

Absolute bullshit that a genuine skill of being multilingual has been banjaxed by technology. 

Yeah, really sorry to hear the Meenz, hope your redundancy tides you over and also if it allows you to study something new.... [not going to use that expression at this time, but you know].

You're in a good location for a lot of universities and as you're a graduate you might be able to do a masters in something you want to do (and will be useful) in a year?

There are so many jobs that AI is coming for, its genuinely terrifying. I mean, we have the options to use this to achieve some kind of Roddenberry nirvana where humans can live for their own fulfillment, or some kind of Elysium dystopia where 99% of us live in misery. I know where what I'm etting on. 

• Like 1