General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

39 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

the sooner we accept that industrial scale animal agriculture is the biggest threat to the planet, the sooner we can start doing something about it. The problem is people don’t want to hear it. What we put in our body is a highly personal thing and people don’t like being told what they’re doing is wrong.  

I think it comes second to the human population explosion although the two are obviously very closely linked. 

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think it comes second to the human population explosion although the two are obviously very closely linked. 

So, to save the planet we have to become vegan virgins? 

Kill me now. :lol:

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

After watching seaspiracy I have pretty much stopped eating seafood.  If I want fish I will ask if it's line caught.  99% of the time they don't have a clue.  I eat far less meat than I used to.  Sometimes I can go a couple of weeks before I have a meal with meat in.

I do as much as I can for the environment.  I compost, recycle, re-use.  I have cut down on the amount of clothes and stuff I buy.  My wife read a book on sustainable fashion.  It's something that's overlooked by a lot but like pretty much every industry that's mad.  I cycle to work a lot.  I try and walk most places, but tbh this has always been the case as my parents never drove we would walk or get the bus.

we can all do our bit but we need policymakers to take decisive action now. The problem is, as always, we will react too late and after a lot of irreversible damage has been done 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

Yeah, the best thing you can do for c02 emissions by far is not have children 

13 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

So, to save the planet we have to become vegan virgins? 

Kill me now. :lol:

I’m almost there (just need to cut out the dairy) 

I worked in government on sustainability stuff in the noughties. I was at the time advocating for adaptation as well as mitigation, but it’s harder to profit by providing resilience. It was obvious, even under Labour, we had fuck all chance to turn it around. Sustainability issues were almost always the least weighted factor in any project.  Sometimes 10%, often 5. 

Then the Tories & Lib Dems (“Greenest Government Ever”) came in and slashed all the green budgets. I walked away. Despite my degree, beliefs and hopes, the money machine is simply not for turning.

It’s laudable to try and fix things, at any level, but it ain’t going to happen. Pissing in the unseasonably hot wind. The future is programmed now. Buckle up Susan, try and be a decent person, enjoy your life and eat less cows, you fat heffer.  

Edited by trophyshy
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’m almost there (just need to cut out the dairy) 

I don't think I could ever give up cheese. Could probably give up meat if I tried and certainly have cut back. Being a virgin from now onwards is proving pretty easy.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Cheese is my vice.  I have oat milk in my tea and cereal.  Coffee I have black anyways.  But cheese man.  I love Pizza too much :lol: 

yeah, I actually prefer plant-based milk to cow juice. But vegan cheese can get to fuck

• Like 1

I gave up pork about 18 months ago. I saw a sign when I was taking the kids around the farm that they were brighter than dogs so thats when I drew the line.

Still intend to give up meat one day and at least go veggie. I attempted it for a month once. Just ended up eating lots of chips.

I was once at an abattoir doing a survey.  There was one area where unused bits of pigs was thrown into a shipping container.  As I was surveying the area a truck of pigs came in.  As soon as they got to that area and could smell the death they all went berserk.  It was quite upsetting.

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I gave up pork about 18 months ago. I saw a sign when I was taking the kids around the farm that they were brighter than dogs so thats when I drew the line.

Still intend to give up meat one day and at least go veggie. I attempted it for a month once. Just ended up eating lots of chips.

So it's alright to eat cows cos they are thick as fuck? 😉

See I maintain we need to eat livestock or they would effectively go extinct and our countryside would be transformed into a monotinous arable wasteland. There is also a school of thought saying it's in the animals interest, from an evolutionary pov. You could extend this to horses and pets as well. So as long as the welfare of animals is a high priority, I am okay weith eating them. But it is a very inefficient way of getting nutrition and is clearly damaging the planet. Meat, and probably dairy, should be more of a luxury. 

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

It’s a high steaks gamble tbh. 

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

we’re making a pig’s ear out of it 

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

We shouldn’t mince our words here, time is of the essence. 
Chop! Chop! 

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

okay, okay. Don’t butcher it 

Bye GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1