General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

It doesn't matter where you're from in the North East everyone who isn't from Newcastle wishes they were, everyone who doesn't have a Newcastle accent wishes they did have (even mackems) and everything important in the NE revolves around Newcastle - fact! Nailed on fact even, privately people would admit that, publically they won't.

Careful, you're starting to sound like a scouser there Stevie, with that sense of self-importance about your home city <_<:D:blush:

To be fair to you, the only thing from Sunderland I can think of is Steve Cram, Boro is ICI and Hartlepool have Jeff Stelling, my dad and the monkey.

I'm 100 times worse, but I don't care, and the difference between me and them is I'm from a city where there's something genuine to be proud of.

I've met loads of people like CT from South Shields who hold the same insular view that the place is the centre of the universe. It's really not man.

I've met loads of people like CT from South Shields who hold the same insular view that the place is the centre of the universe. It's really not man.

<_<

The best seafront in the North East to centre of the universe!!!!!!

I dont even live in Shields daft lad. :D

Anyone disin' Whitley Bay will have me to answer to :D We hav.......er,..... :icon_lol:

Having lived in Whitely all my life and having sampled Sooth Shields for the last year or so since miss hips moved there, I think the two are pretty much the same tbh. I guess SS does have those free concerts going on, but I don't really class that as a 'plus' tbh. We have a longer length (oo-er missus) of beach, but we don't have the nice park 'they' do. We have the lighthouse, they have Marsden Grotto. We both have long links. The thing about Whitley sea front is that it is only a short walk from Whitley or Monkseaton Metro stops whereas S.Shields is a bit further (I think).

Oh, we're getting a new road behind the rotunda (dome) so the front of that will all become pedestrianised for cafe cultcha etc. Oh, and the Spanna is no more - it's now the new primary school.

<_<

Can't believe you haven't popped in for a Cuba Libre like. :blush:

Always found the tales about people taking bottles of tea to the Coast funny. WTF? Incidentally, South Shields had (arguably) the UK's first race riot. Add that to your list CT/HF <_<

Always found the tales about people taking bottles of tea to the Coast funny. WTF? Incidentally, South Shields had (arguably) the UK's first race riot. Add that to your list CT/HF <_<

My Mam told me they used to have tents on the beach when she was a kid that people owned where they used to leave stuff overnight without it being nicked - not sure whether I ever really believed her (would have been the 30s).

Racists as well?!?!?!? They haven't got much going for them down there.

See the pics Chez put up, I can remember similar scenes to that as a bairn, maybe not that many but a lot. There's more people just in that pic than Boro get at home.

Racists as well?!?!?!? They haven't got much going for them down there.

Locals taking exception to Yemeni Seamen who'd settled and started working their way through the local women.

wikidikidoo-

South Shields has been home to a Yemeni British community since the 1890s. The main reason for the Yemeni arrival was the supply of seamen, such as engine room firemen, to British merchant vessels. Similar communities were founded in Hull, Liverpool and Cardiff.[3] In 1909, the first Arab Seamen's Boarding House opened in the Holborn riverside district of the town. At the time of the First World War there was a shortage of crews due to the demands of the fighting and many Yemenis were recruited to serve on British ships at the port of Aden, then under British protection. At the end of the war, the Yemeni population of South Shields had swelled to well over 3,000. Shields lost one of the largest proportions of Merchant Navy sailors. Approximately 1 in 4 of these men was of Yemeni background.

Disputes over jobs led to riots - also called the Arab Riots - in 1919. Often incorrectly reported as 'race riots', these were in fact trades union disputes involving equal pay protests championed by Communist union activists. In fact, the Yemeni had already become a successfully integrated into the wider community. In 1930 a further dispute broke out over working practices, which the Yemeni seamen felt to be discriminatory, and led to more rioting. However, over time, attitudes to Yemenis in the town were softened and there was no significant recurrence of this violence.[4]

After World War II, the Yemeni population declined, partly due to migrations to other industrial areas such as Birmingham, Liverpool and Sheffield.[5] However, the main reason for the reduction in numbers was the end of the shipping industry and the need for sailors as coal burning ships decreased in numbers. Today, the Yemeni population of South Shields numbers around 1,000.[6] Many Yemeni sailors married local women and became integrated with the wider community, resulting with a migrant population less distinct than in other mixed communities across the UK. The Yemeni are the first, settled Muslim community in Britain and have been used to justify multi-culturalism.

There is a mosque at Laygate, including the Yemeni School, which was visited by American boxer Mohammed Ali in 1977. He had his marriage blessed at the Al-Ahzar Mosque, the first purpose-built in the UK. This story is covered in a documentary film, The King of South Shields film website. Throughout April and early May 2008, the BALTIC Arts Centre in Gateshead chronicled the Yemeni community of South Shields, including interviews with the last remaining survivors of the first Yemeni generation. The exhibition depicted the Yemeni story as an example of early successful multi-cultural integration in Britain, as well as showcasing the high-profile 1977 visit by Mohammed Ali.

In 2008 South Shields resident and filmmaker Tina Gharavi unveiled plans for a plaque to mark Ali's visit.[7]

In 2009 the detective series George Gently portrayed the Yemeni integration in a 1960s setting.[8]

wiki

How much is a decent mountain bike these days? Any suggestions?

I bought one worth about £800 (Felt) a few years ago. Used it about 6 times then sold it for 1/2 the price. You can spend as much as you want. I actually got it through the cycle -to-work scheme which saves lots of money.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Depends what you want it for.

If you just want an occasional road/cycle path ride then you could get a decent hardtail off ebay for £300-400. If you want to go offroad I wouldn't spend less than £600.

Getting a Halfords £99 job is false economy - won't last 5 minutes.

Depends what you want it for.

If you just want an occasional road/cycle path ride then you could get a decent hardtail off ebay for £300-400. If you want to go offroad I wouldn't spend less than £600.

Getting a Halfords £99 job is false economy - won't last 5 minutes.

I just want one so I can go on bike rides to Carlisle, Rothbury and Bamburgh that will support a 15st frame.

I just want one so I can go on bike rides to Carlisle, Rothbury and Bamburgh that will support a 15st frame.

Ebay is actually more reasonable than I thought - something like this would do you fine:

Specialized

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...-by-family.html

Lowest of the low. She is the face of Sunderland, look at her boat man, she's never gonna get anyone decent, but that's genetics, to think of saying something as cruel as that sums her up and her city up. See these people should be shot, their kids will be bastards, and so will the grandkids. Just nuke Sunderland even.

I don't think knackers like her are only found in Sunderland, unfortunately. The whole 'Raoul Moat is a legend' thing proves that.