General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

I haven't even been able to take them. I've carried the day over to use for the 2nd. By rights could I not insist on not going tonight, given that it's the only day I could use that remaining day between now and the end of the year?

Is it not in your contract that you can carry days over? At my place you don't have to use all of your allowance in that year as you can carry up to 5 days over.

Legally I think they have to give reasonable notice which is loosely calculated as twice the length of time you've requested off i.e. two days notice for one day off.

I could be entirely wrong though.

I suspect you're right, with the caveat that any expenses incurred as a result of the cancellation should be paid for by the business in the same way that expenses would be paid normally. I don't think people can be reasonably expected to cancel everything just because an employer provides 'reasonable notice'.

Aye that is your stock response when someone tries to take holiday off you. "I'm going up to Edinburgh for New Year and don't get back til late on the 2nd. Hotel and travel is booked." Discussion over. I'm not sure leave can just be canceled btw. I mean what if you have made travel arrangements? Reasonable notice isn't enough for them to just sack your holiday off.

Again you're failing to recognise the level of cuntishness. They'd want proof of the hotel and travel bookings to even consider that. They asked what my plans were when I rang HR and I was quite open and said I've made arrangements to go out new year's day evening. They've got a strict drink and drug testing policy so I wouldn't roll in half-cut. She effectively said if I'd booked flights or something and can prove it then they'd do something, I responded my telling her I don't need to justify what my plans are because the holiday was already authorised and she just starting umming and arrring and said she'd email the plant manager and my shift manager, which I already know will amount to nothing.

Is it not in your contract that you can carry days over? At my place you don't have to use all of your allowance in that year as you can carry up to 5 days over.

They're letting me carry it over aye, but I really don't want to. It's difficult enough to get the ones I have signed off at good times (i.e fridays) without me carrying days over. In previous years they've always been offering to buy the days off us. Many did for the Xmas wage boost but I always refused on principle.

Well I don't know why you're even asking anyone on here. Any mitigating actions anyone suggests are no good because you seem to work for Hitler and Sons. All I can suggest is that you pull your cheeks apart next time so it hurts a bit less.

I just wanted to know if I could dig my heels in really, any suggestion that needed them to act reasonably is a waste of time. The hitler reference is ironic given that before a recent buyout, our old German parent-company had roots linked to Nazi germany

Edited by ClubSpinDoctor

Again you're failing to recognise the level of cuntishness. They'd want proof of the hotel and travel bookings to even consider that. They asked what my plans were when I rang HR and I was quite open and said I've made arrangements to go out new year's day evening. They've got a strict drink and drug testing policy so I wouldn't roll in half-cut. She effectively said if I'd booked flights or something and can prove it then they'd do something, I responded my telling her I don't need to justify what my plans are because the holiday was already authorised and she just starting umming and arrring and said she'd email the plant manager and my shift manager, which I already know will amount to nothing.

I'd look for a new job instead of working for cunts like this.

No way am I fighting for a parking space in town. I feel like Niger Farage having a pint or Ed Milliband eating a bacon sarnie.

Plus point of having an electric car. Free parking and empty spaces on grey street and the big market all day every day

• 2 weeks later...

Back at it. I have been waking up at 5am most mornings for a week. But when I can drift back to sleep thats not too bad. 5am followed by a 6:30 wake hurt!

I'm looking forward to the first job-related rants and moans of 2015 ;)