General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

I see Costa Coffee have announced that they will have to put their prices up because of the introduction of the Living Wage. No shamed recognition of the fact that they aren't paying workers a living wage, just a "look if we want to keep making half a billion in profits*, you're going to have to pay more for your already overpriced coffee."

*That was their PBT for 2015, up 18.5% on prior year.

Been looking for a Bulldog for a while. Went to see a litter last night in Liverpool and it was the second most gypo situation I have ever been in. The guy must have had 6 fully grown dogs that he breeds in rotation, they lived outside in what I would describe as squalor.

Also when we walked in the front "yard" had these two huge mastiffs, and a litter of pups. Once in the back "yard" he said he only breeds Bulldogs.. err what about them fucking Hippogriffs out the front mate?

I won't be purchasing one of the puppies. A family friends bought one he wasn't sure about, noticed it was blind when it started walking into walls and tables and that.

Agree with Gemmill. He'll be the kind of bloke that sells a dog without giving a shit about whether or not it's going to a good home/owner. Which will end up with the dog being further mistreated throughout his life.

We're looking to get a dog as well, probably a Lab/spaniel cross. Gotta leave London first though.

You get loads of physiological problems with bulldogs because they've been bred for appearance for so long and bear little resemblance to the bull-baiting dogs they're descended from. I do like them but it would put me off getting one.

My dog has gone deaf (no she's not pretending) which is causing all sorts of problems on walks and in the house.

If it's a genuine concern that he/she might run away you can get these collars now that blow a short puff of air onto the dog's chin. It's enough to distract them from what they're doing and usually sends them back to their owner. Totally humane and not cruel in anyway, they're basically just a behaviour interruption device.

There's a site you can hire them from to see if they work for your dog. I'll dig it out if it's of any interest.

You get loads of physiological problems with bulldogs because they've been bred for appearance for so long and bear little resemblance to the bull-baiting dogs they're descended from. I do like them but it would put me off getting one.

Part of the reason we're looking at cross-breeds is the concerns about inherited genetic issues. Couldn't you get a bulldog/terrier mix, so it remains similar, but reduces the likelihood of their problems?

If it's a genuine concern that he/she might run away you can get these collars now that blow a short puff of air onto the dog's chin. It's enough to distract them from what they're doing and usually sends them back to their owner. Totally humane and not cruel in anyway, they're basically just a behaviour interruption device.

There's a site you can hire them from to see if they work for your dog. I'll dig it out if it's of any interest.

Love simple innovative shit like this.

No, she would never run off. She likes to lie down in the fields with a stick or just sniffing around while I walk on. Usually a quick whistle gets her to come, but now as long as I'm in sight she just continues to chill.

In the house she plonks herself at the bottom of the stairs and various odd places but would always move when someone approached. We got used to this. Now she doesn't move causing all sorts of near accidents.

She'll have us trained shortly :lol:

As for cats. Evil creatures. Someone said recently something like "mans the only thing on the planet that kills for fun". Tell that to mice.

Fields have just been harvested so each day I am clearing up a mouse massacre in the garden. They just catch them, throw them around, let the little mouse think he's escaped.... Repeat. Urgggh!

Part of the reason we're looking at cross-breeds is the concerns about inherited genetic issues. Couldn't you get a bulldog/terrier mix, so it remains similar, but reduces the likelihood of their problems?

Cross-breeds / mongrels tend to do better in that respect, aye. The dogs that live the longest are Australian Cattle Dogs which are closely related to dingoes which in turn are closely related to wolves.

No, she would never run off. She likes to lie down in the fields with a stick or just sniffing around while I walk on. Usually a quick whistle gets her to come, but now as long as I'm in sight she just continues to chill.

In the house she plonks herself at the bottom of the stairs and various odd places but would always move when someone approached. We got used to this. Now she doesn't move causing all sorts of near accidents.

As for cats. Evil creatures. Someone said recently something like "mans the only thing on the planet that kills for fun". Tell that to mice.

Fields have just been harvested so each day I am clearing up a mouse massacre in the garden. They just catch them, throw them around, let the little mouse think he's escaped.... Repeat. Urgggh!

There isn't an intention to kill there though. They're just playing and the mouse is too pathetic to survive the game. It would be like if you and me had a cage fight.

Having said that, I've seen my cat swallow a mouse whole once, when another cat tried to steal it off him. He looked ill for an hour afterwards, slumped in the corner, burping. :lol:

'Play' in cats, as in wild animals is for a purpose such as training for hunting. Can't compare it to killing stuff for 'fun' as some people do.

Yeah we have been researching the right dog for us for a while. I grew up with Labradors and would love one but we live in a flat in a city so its a no go.

Good breeders now are breeding issues out of bulldogs so that they have less face folds, longer legs and some even have a small tail back. Its making them miles healthier.

f8K66pe.jpg

When I lived in London my company was contracted by the Council to do some improvement works on a Gypsy site in south london. We were doing improvement works to these outhouse type things that had bathrooms and utilities in, as well as some roadworks.

One of the lovely residents had been housing two ponies in his outhouse, while another had filled his "pitch" with second hand car tyres. The best was a guy who had annexed part of the road and installed a kennels where he bred "fightn degs". When we told him we would have to move the kennels to do the road works he threatened to shoot anyone who touched them.

We ended up washing our hands of it.

Yeah we have been researching the right dog for us for a while. I grew up with Labradors and would love one but we live in a flat in a city so its a no go.

Good breeders now are breeding issues out of bulldogs so that they have less face folds, longer legs and some even have a small tail back. Its making them miles healthier.

To be honest mate, unless you're living near a big open area I'd hold off. You want a dog, not an accessory and anything smaller than a Beagle is just drop volley practise.