General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
Who are on here is a manager? Just out of curiosity.

At graft, d'you mean?

I go into companys and am a trainer. Some boy in all honesty :lol:

Well I'm really, really good at boosting peoples confidence, pep talks I'm like a poor mans Keegan, but I've never managed in my life. In 12 months time looks like I'll have my own satelite office in Newcastle though with 5 or 6 staff. I'm a bit nervous about it I'm sure I'll be ok, but I've always been the type who's thought gaffa's are cunts and I don't want to be thought about like that. Of maybe 15 managers I've ever had I'd say 3 were really decent.

That's what I do. Mainly trainer of debt recovery but my main skill set is in motivation and getting on the right level with people to train them as an equal and not like a jobsworth manager. I've not changed my personality at all throughout my career (still relitively short - 9 year) regardless of what capacity I've held the job in.

It all comes down to the individual really, some are power trippers and change their circle of friends etc when moving up in their job. I wouldn't be so weak as to do that.

That's what I used to do 10 years ago, I hated me job, forcing people who were skint in to a corner. The company I worked for were little more than loan sharks (yank as well) 25% some rates. I remember this one woman wrote a letter to the company saying that I had ruined her year with my attitude and she was nearly suicidal, me attitude was fine I was just doing my job but I didn't want to make people feel miserable anymore.

At graft, d'you mean?

I go into companys and am a trainer. Some boy in all honesty :o

Well I'm really, really good at boosting peoples confidence, pep talks I'm like a poor mans Keegan, but I've never managed in my life. In 12 months time looks like I'll have my own satelite office in Newcastle though with 5 or 6 staff. I'm a bit nervous about it I'm sure I'll be ok, but I've always been the type who's thought gaffa's are cunts and I don't want to be thought about like that. Of maybe 15 managers I've ever had I'd say 3 were really decent.

That's what I do. Mainly trainer of debt recovery but my main skill set is in motivation and getting on the right level with people to train them as an equal and not like a jobsworth manager. I've not changed my personality at all throughout my career (still relitively short - 9 year) regardless of what capacity I've held the job in.

It all comes down to the individual really, some are power trippers and change their circle of friends etc when moving up in their job. I wouldn't be so weak as to do that.

That's what I used to do 10 years ago, I hated me job, forcing people who were skint in to a corner. The company I worked for were little more than loan sharks (yank as well) 25% some rates. I remember this one woman wrote a letter to the company saying that I had ruined her year with my attitude and she was nearly suicidal, me attitude was fine I was just doing my job but I didn't want to make people feel miserable anymore.

I work in debt recovery. It's pretty rank, I feel like a total twat at times but most people appreciate I'm just doing my job. Also, I do get some pretty funny replies from people. I'm just pleased being shouted and sworn at on the phone amuses me rather than upsetting me. :lol:

Knowing some of the awkward prats I work with I wouldn't want to manage them for love nor money!

The thing is if I agree to it it puts me in a new position financially completely earning a really good London wage in Newcastle. You have to ask yourself if you want to stay at the level you're at at the moment forever or do you want career progression. What I do at the moment is quite skilled, you need great industry knowledge, but the economy is buoyant enough for me to earn 30k+ year, if I agree to this that changes almost overnight. To be honest I'd rather just have the salary without the hassle. We'll see what happens. I'd hate to end up coming across like Dr Gloom that's my fear. Jobs change people when one of me best mates became a copper he changed a bit, still a good kid overall though.

Knowing some of the awkward prats I work with I wouldn't want to manage them for love nor money!

The thing is if I agree to it it puts me in a new position financially completely earning a really good London wage in Newcastle. You have to ask yourself if you want to stay at the level you're at at the moment forever or do you want career progression. What I do at the moment is quite skilled, you need great industry knowledge, but the economy is buoyant enough for me to earn 30k+ year, if I agree to this that changes almost overnight. To be honest I'd rather just have the salary without the hassle. We'll see what happens. I'd hate to end up coming across like Dr Gloom that's my fear. Jobs change people when one of me best mates became a copper he changed a bit, still a good kid overall though.

Future: The undiscovered country. :lol:

At graft, d'you mean?

I work in debt recovery. It's pretty rank, I feel like a total twat at times but most people appreciate I'm just doing my job. Also, I do get some pretty funny replies from people. I'm just pleased being shouted and sworn at on the phone amuses me rather than upsetting me. :lol:

I did too but people who suffer from circumstantial things and you have to chase them, it's awful. This woman changed the mortgage in to her name about 5 years before this conv I had with her, but her husband was paying half the mortgage, he died she couldn't afford it anymore so the house got repossessed. Hated it. I got loads of letters saying thank you for restructuring loans, and they hoped the toon did well cos I'd always have football banter with the customers, much as my gaffa's thought it was unprofessional so it wasn't all bad, I didn't mean to rubbish your job Jill and MacToon, just wasn't for me.

At graft, d'you mean?

It can be like that and a lot of the people I train feel it's inappropriate to ask someone for money but they've used the service so now it's up to them to negotiate an appropraite solution which is right for both the customer and the company. Difficult balancing act when it comes to debt though.

The people I train get customers threatening to 'do them in' etc and the stereotype of a debt collector having earing, tattoos, pitbull, sovreign rings etc is wide of the mark. The best doorstep collector I've trained was a lady in her late 40s who was able to connect with people and didn't instigate as much aggro as some of the younger meathead lads who do it 'for the thrill'.

At graft, d'you mean?

It can be like that and a lot of the people I train feel it's inappropriate to ask someone for money but they've used the service so now it's up to them to negotiate an appropraite solution which is right for both the customer and the company. Difficult balancing act when it comes to debt though.

The people I train get customers threatening to 'do them in' etc and the stereotype of a debt collector having earing, tattoos, pitbull, sovreign rings etc is wide of the mark. The best doorstep collector I've trained was a lady in her late 40s who was able to connect with people and didn't instigate as much aggro as some of the younger meathead lads who do it 'for the thrill'.

Mine was in a Danny B style call centre, largely did personal loans, but mortgages later on. The best customers were in Glasgow, you could almost guarantee you'd be insulted if it was a bloke, wish I had a pound for the amount of times I was told to "get tae fuck".

At graft, d'you mean?

Mine was in a Danny B style call centre, largely did personal loans, but mortgages later on. The best customers were in Glasgow, you could almost guarantee you'd be insulted if it was a bloke, wish I had a pound for the amount of times I was told to "get tae fuck".

I do little bits with contact centres but it's mainly doorstep recoverers who I work with. Well, whilst they're training anyway.

Wouldn't get me taking peoples money off them .... the dirty robbing bastards :lol:

I did too but people who suffer from circumstantial things and you have to chase them, it's awful. This woman changed the mortgage in to her name about 5 years before this conv I had with her, but her husband was paying half the mortgage, he died she couldn't afford it anymore so the house got repossessed. Hated it. I got loads of letters saying thank you for restructuring loans, and they hoped the toon did well cos I'd always have football banter with the customers, much as my gaffa's thought it was unprofessional so it wasn't all bad, I didn't mean to rubbish your job Jill and MacToon, just wasn't for me.

Rubbish it all you want, I hate it. :lol: I do repossession sales & then collecting the shortfall after the property gets sold off at a low price. People are usually pretty quick to tell their tale as a way of explaining their circumstances and you really do hear some awful stories which make you feel bad for chasing them.

Mind, on the other hand someone lied for 4 or 5 years that her husband had died to get out of having their house repossessed and went as far as to say things like she didn't want to leave the area they lived in because the kids liked to go to the dad's grave and cry. :o It only came to light years later when the bloke signed something.

Don't think I've ever had a "good" manager. Most of them got where they are thanks to the Peter Principle.

Well I'm being offered this position through circumstances rather than being an arselicker or being anything special.

Rubbish it all you want, I hate it. :lol: I do repossession sales & then collecting the shortfall after the property gets sold off at a low price. People are usually pretty quick to tell their tale as a way of explaining their circumstances and you really do hear some awful stories which make you feel bad for chasing them.

Mind, on the other hand someone lied for 4 or 5 years that her husband had died to get out of having their house repossessed and went as far as to say things like she didn't want to leave the area they lived in because the kids liked to go to the dad's grave and cry. :o It only came to light years later when the bloke signed something.

Stop doing it.

Don't think I've ever had a "good" manager. Most of them got where they are thanks to the Peter Principle.

Well I'm being offered this position through circumstances rather than being an arselicker or being anything special.

You can do it mate. Cakewalk for you I'm sure. Do it.

At graft, d'you mean?

I go into companys and am a trainer. Some boy in all honesty ;)

I do little bits with contact centres but it's mainly doorstep recoverers who I work with. Well, whilst they're training anyway.

Wouldn't get me taking peoples money off them .... the dirty robbing bastards :o

:lol:

The irony of it is I worked in that game for three years, and I fell in to the credit trap balls deep myself through. Life experiences though what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

It's 12 months away like, my only recruitment policies taking people on will be NO MUGS, NO MACKEMS and NO STUDENTS, with the test being spell pneumonia.

Mind, on the other hand someone lied for 4 or 5 years that her husband had died to get out of having their house repossessed and went as far as to say things like she didn't want to leave the area they lived in because the kids liked to go to the dad's grave and cry. ;) It only came to light years later when the bloke signed something.

Stop doing it.

And fall into arrears on my own bills because I'm not getting paid? :o

Mind, on the other hand someone lied for 4 or 5 years that her husband had died to get out of having their house repossessed and went as far as to say things like she didn't want to leave the area they lived in because the kids liked to go to the dad's grave and cry. ;) It only came to light years later when the bloke signed something.

Stop doing it.

It's sould destroying for you and the victim at the other end. Stop it. Now.

It's 12 months away like, my only recruitment policies taking people on will be NO MUGS, NO MACKEMS and NO STUDENTS, with the test being spell pneumonia.

Always hire people brighter than you, that is the golden rule. I'd like reports back when you get going.

Stop doing it.

Howay man Parky. What do you want her to do go on the game??? She's already said she hates it. Stop picking on her.

Stop doing it.

Ok.