Reaching Europe

JawD

The UEFA cup is really shit now. Do we really make a lot of moola out of it?

118695[/snapback]

Next season we'll do a "Tottenham" then? No UEFA Cup, no FA Cup and no Carling Cup....but we'll qualify for the CL - Money or trophies? :D

118718[/snapback]

since we've had bugger all of either I don't really care TBH

118729[/snapback]

You don't care if we win a trophy or not? :lol:

Hmmmm.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, Im not entirely sure about who gets into UEFA now. How many places do we get? Is it 2 + FAC? So with FAC being prob Chelsea is that place then not given to next, and no 3rd league place (7th)?

Ah, here we go from the FA

"We have three UEFA Cup slots, with one place going to the fifth placed team in the Premiership and two places allocated to the winners of the Worthington Cup and the FA Cup. One thing to be aware of is that if the winners of The FA Cup have already qualified for Europe, their UEFA Cup slot will the revert to the losing finalists.

"In the case of the Worthington Cup, only the winners are eligible for the UEFA Cup spot. Should the winners go on to qualify for the UEFA Cup or Champions League via the Premiership or European competitions this year, then the slot would again go to the Premier League.

"The other eventuality would be if both the finalists for the FA Cup Final have already qualified for European competition. In this case, the UEFA Cup slot would also revert to the sixth spot in the league or, if the Worthington Cup winners have also already qualified for Europe, it could go down to seventh in the Premier League."

So, lets say the FA Cup final is Chelsea v West Ham and Chelsea win, then West Ham get the UEFA spot. Worthy Cup won by Man U, they being in champ league spot so this creates a 6th place for a spot.

UEFA Spots

5th Place - Arsenal ?

FA Runner Up - West Ham ?

6th Place - Blackburn ?

So, no chance of us getting in then Im afraid.

Ok, unless we somehow got 6th which would mean catching maybe blackburn. Now, doing what we done for the above looks as this:

Blackburn

Liverpool (H) - 0

Birmingham (A) - 1

Charlton (A) - 1

Chelsea (H) - 0

Man City (H) - 3

Current - 54 points

TOTAL 59 points

And  if Arsenal win the CL  then whoever is in 4th place drops back into the Yuffa

118755[/snapback]

Aye, spurrrrs'll be canny miffed if they pip arse to fourth then arse take the place back off them by winning it. lol!

118759[/snapback]

That would be truely hilarious! Couldn't happen to a nicer club either (shame about Everton last year too).

And  if Arsenal win the CL  then whoever is in 4th place drops back into the Yuffa

118755[/snapback]

Considering that Everton qualified for the CL last year in the same circumstances, if it was NUFC in that 4th position, I'd be well fucked off and want to know why it's OK for one club but not for the other.

I'm one of the last people on this planet to defend Spurs, but that's just totally fucking unfair - you can't have a rule for one club and a totally different one for another.

118755[/snapback]

Considering that Everton qualified for the CL last year in the same circumstances, if it was NUFC in that 4th position, I'd be well fucked off and want to know why it's OK for one club but not for the other.

I'm one of the last people on this planet to defend Spurs, but that's just totally fucking unfair - you can't have a rule for one club and a totally different one for another.

118783[/snapback]

Bollocks Craig, last year there was a loophole which was unforeseen. This year they have closed it in advance so everyone knows where they stand. Are you suggesting that the rules of the competition should never change?

118755[/snapback]

118783[/snapback]

Bollocks Craig, last year there was a loophole which was unforeseen. This year they have closed it in advance so everyone knows where they stand. Are you suggesting that the rules of the competition should never change?

118791[/snapback]

Not at all, but the situation is absolutely identical (something they obviously didn't think would happen).

How would you feel if it was NUFC in Spurs' position having seen Everton being allowed into the competition only 12 months previous.

It should be 4 guaranteed places plus the current European Champions should they finish outside the top 4.

118755[/snapback]

118783[/snapback]

118791[/snapback]

Not at all, but the situation is absolutely identical (something they obviously didn't think would happen).

How would you feel if it was NUFC in Spurs' position having seen Everton being allowed into the competition only 12 months previous.

It should be 4 guaranteed places plus the current European Champions should they finish outside the top 4.

118794[/snapback]

I don't agree - 4 teams from one country is more than enough. As long as people know in advance, they can't cry about it afterwards. Last year the situation was unprecedented and the solution was botched - how can UEFA fairly prepare for the possibility of an extra team?

The same thing crops up every year with people whinging how unfair the play offs are. If you don't like it, ensure you qualify for automatic promotion.

but that buggers up the whole competition as its currently set up

You'd be adding a team so how would you reduce the numbers to get the knockout ladder right - it would mean the CL winners or the 5th team from the PL for example would have to play a preliminary knockout game (someone like Shitsville Red Star of Moldova) right at the start and then play through ALL of qualifying

I can't see anyone being very happy about that

Spurs et all have knwon the rules all season so there can be no complaint

Then the same ruling should have been applied last year - surely that 'buggered up the whole competition' to??

If Arsenal win it and finish outside the top 4, they should be made to pre-qualify for next season's even like Liverpool did!

Then the same ruling should have been applied last year - surely that 'buggered up the whole competition' to??

If Arsenal win it and finish outside the top 4, they should be made to pre-qualify for next season's even like Liverpool did!

118841[/snapback]

Maybe, but it's Spurs remember so fuck it, let them enter the intertoto imo :D

I think its just out of reach unfortunately. Some of those horror shows away from home have cost us.

Its the inter two bob again this year.

118707[/snapback]

I'd say home games against Fulham, West Ham, Boro, Blackburn & Charlton have cost us more. (11 dropped points against those 5 teams)

118714[/snapback]

I'd say it was Souness that cost us, end of story. Be interested to see if NJM agrees.

118735[/snapback]

That would appear to be the case wouldnt it.

Most we can hope for is 7th imo baring miraculous results and as i understand it 6th carries a Ufea place and 7th doesn't.

Inter toto is the only way we'll get to Europe imo and may not be a bad option if someone new comes in, as he'll have time to gel with the players.

118707[/snapback]

From reading a piece on ceefax about the Intertoto Cup it suggests only 1 team can enter from England, that being the highest placed applicant who hasn't qualified for Uefa cup through league position.

118707[/snapback]

From reading a piece on ceefax about the Intertoto Cup it suggests only 1 team can enter from England, that being the highest placed applicant who hasn't qualified for Uefa cup through league position.

118868[/snapback]

That's correct.

Seven English clubs have applied but only Everton, Boro and Blackburn are known. It's very possible we've applied.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4895064.stm

I never understood why anyone would consider NOT entering...maybe they think it's beneath them....well if it's beneath them, maybe they should make sure they fucking well qualify the proper way.....GRRR!!! :D

Sure I heard earlier in the season we had applied. Unless I was dreaming like. Which is canny possible given that the other day I dreamt Phil Neville signed for Hearts. Weird.

Anyway, maybe finishing 7th will get into the intertoto. We nearly won it in dramatic fashion a few years back when we levelled the tie at 4-4. Great game !

Newcastle United have asked to be considered for next season's InterToto Cup - and despite the recent upsurge in form it looks to be their only way of making an eagerly-awaited return to Europe.

But even forcing their way into the much-maligned InterToto Cup and a two-legged game against a team from either Norway, Iceland or Northern Ireland in the middle of July, is going to be difficult.

For the Chronicle can reveal today that no fewer than seven clubs from the Premiership have applied for the competition - and only one of them will take part.

And the fact that these seven clubs are understood to be Arsenal, Spurs, Bolton, Blackburn, Everton, Middlesbrough and Newcastle shows how important the InterToto is now being regarded, especially as the route into the UEFA Cup is now so hard under the new format.

United have invitations to play on just about every continent in the close season, but nothing will be decided until their InterToto, or indeed their UEFA, fate is known.

This is the first time United have admitted they have put their name down for the InterToto because, we suspect, that after the mess Graeme Souness left them in, they were embarrassed they would not finish high enough in the table even to be considered.

But this has all changed under caretaker boss Glenn Roeder, although an automatic place in the UEFA Cup looks beyond their reach.

The InterToto draws were actually made yesterday and England's representatives will be at home in the third round, first leg on July 15-16, with the second away leg being played on July 22.

As usual, UEFA will award the top four of the Premiership a place in the Champions League.

UEFA Cup slots go to the League and FA Cup winners as a rule, but this has been re-jigged slightly.

Fifth place is guaranteed a UEFA Cup place and ordinarily a place each goes to the FA Cup winners and the Carling Cup winners.

However, Manchester United's triumph in Cardiff and inevitable Champions League qualification means they do not require their place in the UEFA, meaning the sixth-placed team will now take that slot.

United, though, are eight points adrift of Arsenal, who hold that place, and have played a game more.

But there are ramifications.

This season the FA Cup runners-up will get the slot allotted to the winners should they have already qualified for the Champions League - and with Chelsea and Liverpool taking on Charlton, Middlesbrough or West Ham in the final, that could well be the case.

Yet should Boro win the UEFA Cup and reach the FA Cup Final, the slot that the runners-up in Cardiff would have been handed will then go to the seventh-placed team.

But if Arsenal can emulate Liverpool last season and win the Champions League, it would be them, and not fourth-placed Spurs, who would bag the fourth European Cup position, with Martin Jol's side having to settle for the UEFA.

Meanwhile, the criteria for the InterToto means that the highest placed applicant gets the spot, providing they finish no more than four places beneath a UEFA Cup position.

Wigan and West Ham have not applied for the InterToto, with Wigan manager Paul Jewell wary of the tournament after his former club Bradford City's involvement contributed to their relegation back in 2001.

So at the moment it is all ifs and buts, with even UEFA officials intrigued by the final outcome of the Premiership's final run-in.

A UEFA spokesman told the Chronicle today: "Anybody as low as seventh could still finish in a UEFA Cup place, but it would depend on Middlesbrough going all of the way and winning this season's UEFA Cup, as well as reaching the FA Cup final.

"Even though the season is almost at a close there are still a few different outcomes.

"England's successful applicant in the InterToto will be the highest-placed team in the Premiership that has not already qualified for the UEFA Cup, and they will join in the third round."

They will then play a two-leg tie and, if successful, will go through to the second UEFA Cup qualifying round.

Under the new format, three rounds will be played in the competition, instead of five. The 11 victorious teams from the InterToto Cup third round will go through to the second qualifying round of the UEFA Cup. Each country only has one place.

Given the above article I think I'd rather we finished 7th to claim an InterToto Cup spot and Boro were knocked out of the UEFA and FA Cups, and relegated, if at all possible.