Good Friday

Jill

I'll eat what I like tbh.  I don't go to church or owt, so what's the point in me all of a sudden observing some religious gubbins just because it's Easter.  It's just an extra long weekend as far as I'm concerned.

119301[/snapback]

Happy to have the chocolate and the extra long weekend, but what the fuck is all this religious shit about? Ferk that!! ;):blink:

Edited by catmag

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okayyyyyy.  The reasons for not eating meat on a Good Friday is because it is a day of fasting and abstainance in the Catholic church.  As Isegrim said, you are supposed to eat basic foods with no treats and meat is considered to be a luxury food.  We always had fish and chips on a Friday lunchtime, went to mass at 3pm and then had a very basic meal at teatime.  Good Friday is a sombre day in the churches calendar.

Personally I do avoid meat on a GF but that's my personal choice.  I would never suggest anyone else does so and certainly wouldn't try to persuade them that they should.  It's an individual thing and about someone's personal belief and faith, and it certainly doesn't offend me if anyone else has steak for their tea!

It's funny though, that (as well as Christmas) the majority of people are happy to go along with the traditions because it means they can have presents on Christmas Day and eat chocolate on Easter SUnday, but then decree that they couldn't give a fuck about the reasons behind why these traditions exist.  You've a lot to thank us Catholics for ;)

119644[/snapback]

Hmm. So, if its not really meat people should be giving up, but luxury foods, then I assume that really should be an individual thing. Is meat a luxury to a farmer who has too many pigs? Maybe he would class a pinapple more of a luxury so give them up? Or am I reading too much into that? :blink:

Oh, and I was christened a Catholic, just never went through the whole "cuffuffle".

Reet, it says:-

The main service on Good Friday takes place between midday and 3pm. In many churches it takes the form of a meditation based on the seven last words of Jesus on the cross, with hymns, prayers, and short sermons.

119318[/snapback]

Wernt those last words 'I can see my house from here' ;)

The main service on Good Friday takes place between midday and 3pm. In many churches it takes the form of a meditation based on the seven last words of Jesus on the cross, with hymns, prayers, and short sermons.

119318[/snapback]

Wernt those last words 'I can see my house from here' :blink:

119681[/snapback]

No! He actually said, 'Hey, Peter ;) write this down; we can start a monumental world-wide piss-take with some wierd and wonderful stories' :(

119318[/snapback]

Wernt those last words 'I can see my house from here' :blink:

119681[/snapback]

No! He actually said, 'Hey, Peter ;) write this down; we can start a monumental world-wide piss-take with some wierd and wonderful stories' :(

119683[/snapback]

7 words mate, just 7.

Want the real facts or do you lot want to just keep guessing?

Roman Catholics don't eat red meat (or chicken) on any friday during the lent period. On Good Friday they don't eat at all.

Jesus wasn't actually crucified on Good Friday (in the same way that he wasn't born on December 25th)

Good Friday was (and still is) known as "Holy Friday". There are many theory's why it's called "Good" but I'm sure you can google that.

"Lord by your Cross and Resurrection, you have set us free. You are the Saviour of the World"

For a Christian, that's pretty good.

By the way Jill - are they all Catholics? Where exactly do you work?

I'll eat what I like tbh.  I don't go to church or owt, so what's the point in me all of a sudden observing some religious gubbins just because it's Easter.  It's just an extra long weekend as far as I'm concerned.

119301[/snapback]

Happy to have the chocolate and the extra long weekend, but what the fuck is all this religious shit about? Ferk that!! ;):blink:

119647[/snapback]

Exactly! I'm mainly in it for the time off work. The chocolate is just an added bonus. :(

You know, its quite possible that this whole bible thing was an age old hoax. In fact, if you go to St Peters Square in Rome, stand in the middle, wait until midnight and look in the direction of Vatican City, there is a shadow cast across the square roughly in the shape of:

av-7.jpg

I just wonder.....

119697[/snapback]

At a solicitors office in Newcastle.. and no they're not Catholics - a few went to Catholic schools but pretty much all admit they're non-practising, which is my main problem with the way they reacted.

Oh well.. I think I'll just picture message them all the massive cheeseburger I intend to eat on Friday. ;)

119301[/snapback]

Happy to have the chocolate and the extra long weekend, but what the fuck is all this religious shit about? Ferk that!! ;):(

119647[/snapback]

You're catching up I see..... :blink:

119697[/snapback]

At a solicitors office in Newcastle.. and no they're not Catholics - a few went to Catholic schools but pretty much all admit they're non-practising, which is my main problem with the way they reacted.

Oh well.. I think I'll just picture message them all the massive cheeseburger I intend to eat on Friday. ;)

119732[/snapback]

Have you considered they're winding you up?

119697[/snapback]

119732[/snapback]

119744[/snapback]

That's what I was thinking, me and my boss are Catholic but aren't that arsed. However, we rip the piss out of everyone else and tell people they're going to hell if they eat meat on a Friday, break Lent, don't go to mass on Christmas Eve etc etc. Itsjustabitoffun. :blink:

Roman Catholics don't eat red meat (or chicken) on any friday during the lent period. On Good Friday they don't eat at all.

Jesus wasn't actually crucified on Good Friday (in the same way that he wasn't born on December 25th)

Good Friday was (and still is) known as "Holy Friday". There are many theory's why it's called "Good" but I'm sure you can google that.

"Lord by your Cross and Resurrection, you have set us free. You are the Saviour of the World"

119697[/snapback]

I thought it was pretty much agreed by theologians and historians alike that Jesus actually was crucified on Good Friday because all the accounts tie in with the Jewish festival of Passover.

119301[/snapback]

Happy to have the chocolate and the extra long weekend, but what the fuck is all this religious shit about? Ferk that!! ;):(

119647[/snapback]

You're catching up I see..... :blink:

119735[/snapback]

Are you laughing at me? :(

119744[/snapback]

Unlikely, part of the Confirmation ceremony involves the extraction of their sense of humour.

119697[/snapback]

I thought it was pretty much agreed by theologians and historians alike that Jesus actually was crucified on Good Friday because all the accounts tie in with the Jewish festival of Passover.

119795[/snapback]

Link?

;)

119697[/snapback]

119732[/snapback]

119744[/snapback]

They have the sense of humour of a dead grasshopper.. I don't think they've ever wound anyone up in their lives. :blink: