What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

3 hours ago, sammynb said:

@Blastronaut someone just recommended these was worth a listen for new Scottish dreampop/shoegaze bands, Sunstinger, Swis, Swim School, swiss Portrait, Transmission Suite, Neon Waltz, Midnight Ambulance.

Heard any of them? Thoughts?

I'm familiar with Swim School, some of their stuff is straight from the My Bloody Valentine playbook but songs like Delirious are more in keeping with a lot of what's been going on in the scene with bands like Spyres and Dead Pony. 

Mrs B claims I've heard most of them (except Sunstinger and Transmission Suite) via her playlists in the car but I can't place any of them.

• Like 1

@sammynb was it yourself that saw Carcass back in the late 80's? Fwiw the death metal scene up here is on fire right now if you still have time for any of that.  Penny Coffin, Brainbath, Rancid Cadaver, Coffin Mulch all worth checking out. 

Far cry from shoegaze or dreampop right enough but the whole scene is really thriving right now which is surprising given that it's all a bit of a throwback to late 80's scene when Carcass were coming through.

• Like 1

On 29/11/2023 at 08:07, Blastronaut said:

@sammynb was it yourself that saw Carcass back in the late 80's? Fwiw the death metal scene up here is on fire right now if you still have time for any of that.  Penny Coffin, Brainbath, Rancid Cadaver, Coffin Mulch all worth checking out. 

Far cry from shoegaze or dreampop right enough but the whole scene is really thriving right now which is surprising given that it's all a bit of a throwback to late 80's scene when Carcass were coming through.

Yes it was me, for some reason I like grindcore, not a metal fan by any stretch of the imagination. I'll check them out, thanks.

BTW you know there is this whole slowcore/shoegaze genre around at the moment called Blackgaze.

3 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

What in the name of fuck are you two doing to this thread?

I get that reaction a lot to be honest. 

While we're talking about Scottish bands and I've already been called out for lowering the tone I might as well go all in the Gallus album this year deserved a lot more attention than it seemed to get. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sammynb said:

Yes it was me, for some reason I like grindcore, not a metal fan by any stretch of the imagination. I'll check them out, thanks.

BTW you know there is this whole slowcore/shoegaze genre around at the moment called Blackgaze.

I'm often reminded I'm also not a metal fan by any stretch whenever I talk to other self-professed metalheads.  

"Modern" metal peaked here and died long before Des left the band of you ask me. It can probably be resuscitated but it will take an army of drummers like Des Kensel.

13 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

While we're talking about Scottish bands and I've already been called out for lowering the tone I might as well go all in the Gallus album this year deserved a lot more attention than it seemed to get.

Quite like that, think I'll have to find the album now.

Another great Scottish release from this year was Current Affair's new one (Gemmill just stop now mate, it's not for you.)

Also Lichen Slow's album, with Middleton from Arab Strap, was another that seemed to pass under the radar.

See the Mary Chain have just announce a new album first in about ten year.

I don’t really think they were much cop post- Jim Martin and he was the most old skool ‘metal’ of the lot of them. His Sabbath-like riffs were what made them ‘metal’ imo. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

I don’t really think they were much cop post- Jim Martin and he was the most old skool ‘metal’ of the lot of them. His Sabbath-like riffs were what made them ‘metal’ imo. 

That's the thing about FNM, isn't it, their two main members left, Martin and Mosley and then they went on to commercial success.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sammynb said:

That's the thing about FNM, isn't it, their two main members left, Martin and Mosley and then they went on to commercial success.

Martin was still around for The Real Thing and Angel Dust. Which were commercially successful. Chuck Mosley left after Introduce Yourself, which was actually their second album, although I think their debut didn’t even get a CD release. I think Mosley might have been involved in writing The Real Thing but left before it was recorded. Introduce Yourself is a great album btw. 

• Like 2