What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

Listening to The Chain by Fleetwood Mac. The only time Rumours becomes anything more than bland soft rock rubbish.

Great tune when they stop babbling on. Very best of tunes even.

One of those that always seems to make me smile and crank it up a little bit more.

And this, probably my favourite Diamond Head song and possibly favourite from Garage Inc., wish I'd been there!

Edited by Bonamental

One of those that always seems to make me smile and crank it up a little bit more.

have you had a look at JBs other band?

BCC and Bloodline? Got both BCC albums, Song Of Yesterday is particularly genius. Never really found any Bloodline (but then not really looked particularly hard).

BCC and Bloodline? Got both BCC albums, Song Of Yesterday is particularly genius. Never really found any Bloodline (but then not really looked particularly hard).

BCC aye, agree about SoY my favourite song by far from album 1, Cold on album 2.

BCC aye, agree about SoY my favourite song by far from album 1, Cold on album 2.

I'm not really sure about a favourite for 2. Crossfire is pretty good, and Cold as you say. Also quite like The Battle For Hadrian's Wall and An Ordinary Son, but its all pretty good. I think 2 is probably a better standard on average, thought 1 had a few filler tracks really, but on 1 there are some absolutely phenomenal songs, and SoY is definitely their best.

Have you heard of a guy called Philip Sayce? Welsh Canadian (somehow), bit more poppy than Joe, but still a pretty damn good guitarist. Bit more blue sky summer driving your car kinda music (to me at least), if you see what I mean?:

Hey Bonamental

Not heard of Sayce so I'll give him a listen. Listening to that Youtube clip he's a bit Mayer-esque imo (not necessarily a bad thing - I've seen JM live and he was good).

Completely forgot about Bloodline also, so just 'acquiring' the album from '94 now. Should be interesting.

I sometimes think I actually prefer early JB to late JB in the way he plays and to a degree, the way he sings. I think he sang better before the lessons tbh. As much as I hate to admit it, I think he's beginning to stagnate a little and his tone has become very same-y and one sided. I read a review a while ago which made a tonal comparison to Eric Johnson. Not something I'd spotted, but it's true imo.

Hopefully, the BCC suff will give him a fresh direction, because he's a class act and I'd hate for him to run out of ideas / originality etc now.

Having said all of that, I'm still wanting to see him with BCC later this year ;)

He's feckin' mint like :D

Fucking love this band

The more I listen to these guys the more I hear that late 80 early 90 Aust/NZ indie sound.

Things like:

It would be interesting to see their parents music collection.

Hey Bonamental

Not heard of Sayce so I'll give him a listen. Listening to that Youtube clip he's a bit Mayer-esque imo (not necessarily a bad thing - I've seen JM live and he was good).

Completely forgot about Bloodline also, so just 'acquiring' the album from '94 now. Should be interesting.

I sometimes think I actually prefer early JB to late JB in the way he plays and to a degree, the way he sings. I think he sang better before the lessons tbh. As much as I hate to admit it, I think he's beginning to stagnate a little and his tone has become very same-y and one sided. I read a review a while ago which made a tonal comparison to Eric Johnson. Not something I'd spotted, but it's true imo.

Hopefully, the BCC suff will give him a fresh direction, because he's a class act and I'd hate for him to run out of ideas / originality etc now.

Having said all of that, I'm still wanting to see him with BCC later this year ;)

He's feckin' mint like :D

Let us know what you think of Bloodline, never actually heard any of it.

I never really thought that JB's vocals were particularly bad, but I don't think he'd have been able to do something like Slow Train on A New Day Yesterday. What do you reckon to Dust Bowl? I have to say Black Rock for me is by far his weakest, just doesn't really have anything that makes me go back to it. Whereas I'm constantly going back to So It's Like That and Sloe Gin.

I don't really know very much Eric Johnson stuff, but I'd heard that comparison made before and from the little I've heard can understand it. But then I think that might be a bit more earlier stuff (I'm not exactly great at making these sorts of comparisons, find it hard to think of different music whilst listening to something). And anyway, I don't see it as such a crime to be heavily influenced by others.

I think I know what you mean about becoming a bit samey though. I thought on BCC1 a lot of the guitar sound was so similar, and didn't necessarily fit so well. But this is being really picky now!

I'd have loved to see them, but I've got my ACA finals right after they play in London. Loads of bands and stuff on around that time that I can't go and see!