Cooking

Gemmill

Can anyone on here recommend some good Indian cookbooks?

I'm looking for two different kinds really. Rustic if you will, so some of the more basic and old fashioned recipes that stand the test of time. Something like The Silver Spoon but Indian I guess.

Then something quite modern, so Indian foot with a new style twist if you like. :)

I've got some good ones. Will post names later after home from work.

As far as UK chefs go Nigel Slater and Jamie Oliver both have good curry recipes kicking about

I've got some good ones. Will post names later after home from work.

As far as UK chefs go Nigel Slater and Jamie Oliver both have good curry recipes kicking about

Youtube is a decent source. Jut put in the type of curry and away you go.

Search for Rick Steins Lamb and Spinach curry. Excellent.

<< There it is. Edited by Ugly Mackems

Can anyone on here recommend some good Indian cookbooks?

I'm looking for two different kinds really. Rustic if you will, so some of the more basic and old fashioned recipes that stand the test of time. Something like The Silver Spoon but Indian I guess.

Then something quite modern, so Indian foot with a new style twist if you like. :)

It's very old, but 'The Curry Secret' by Kris Dhillon is very Leazes-esque for restaurant-style curries.

He's done a newer one though:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Curry-Secret-Kris-Dhillon/dp/0716022044

~

Had my tried-and-tested lamb koftas tonight, with a bit of turmeric added in. Made a simple tomato and sweet red pepper salsa to go with by chopping them up small and grilling them with a bit of paprika and garlic sprinkled over. Nice. :)

hand over fist by mohammed aslam is a solid book. i've cooked most of the curries from that.

india's vegetarian cooking by monisha bharadwaj is excellent and showcases the vast mix of different regional specialities, and how different food from the south is to curry in the east or north. well worth checking out, even if you're a big meat eater.

the cinnamon club cookbook is good for posh dinner party curry

and any book by madhur jaffrey is worth a shout too - the godmother of indian cooking

In a can't-be-fucked mode of operation, but still doing a River Cottage inspired dinner;

1 onion roughly chopped

3 cloves garlic crushed

A slash (2 tblsp) of curry powder

Half that amount of both cummin and coriander powder

Touch of cinnamon

Tin of chick peas drained and washed

2 tblsp tomato paste.

Slash of water to create a bit of sauce

That's it, my dinner. Hugh did this on a beach with bare essentials btw. Not one of his classics but it suits me today.

Got yo say that my Jamie Oliver garlic press is my favourite kitchen accessory. It's hard to understand why it has taken mankind so long to create something so beautiful, yet simple.

Overtaking the electric tin opener?

Following the Indian talk yesterday, I fancy tucking a really good Balti curry recipe under my belt.

Something not hot, but full of flavour.

I usually have something called a Garlic Balti when I eat out.

If anyone knows of any decent recipes on the net that will save me searching then please link.

(Not up for consideration are Korma, Rogan Josh or anything hot).

Interesting fact for you garlic-mincers out there; if you let it rest 10 minutes after chopping/mincing then it releases more allicin, which is the chemical that gives garlic its antioxidant quality. Also makes it taste more garlicky.

:)

Interesting fact for you garlic-mincers out there; if you let it rest 10 minutes after chopping/mincing then it releases more allicin, which is the chemical that gives garlic its antioxidant quality. Also makes it taste more garlicky.

Noted. Nice one!

Noted. An Italian lad I went to uni with used to eat several cloves of raw garlic every day. His breath was absolutely appalling.

Stupid question time!

The above recipe calls for hot vegetable stock.

Does this just mean hot as in warm or is there some sort of hot spicy vegetable stock?

It's just mean warm. Make it 5-10 minutes before you need it and it'll be fine.