Cooking

Gemmill

I'm making Spicy Meat Gumbo from the Jamie's America book. It's in the pan while I watch the second half.

Watch out for the Shadow Man!*

*Unless you watch Disney's Princess and the Frog twice a day you probably won't understand that, but it's set in New Orleans and it's very good...

• 3 weeks later...

This Friday is my local team's last home match. Bought five racks of ribs to cook for our pre-match get together. In the process of making my own dry rubs and dips for them. Last night I made a Sicilian dipping sauce. Must say I nailed this one. It has orange juice, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, tomato juice, olive oil, honey, garlic, anchovies, red pepper flakes, and mint.

I have a cracking dahl recipe if anyone's interested. Better than owt I've had from curry houses.

Yes please

I'm doing Burmese duck leg & potato curry tonight, might put up a picture if you're lucky! ;)

You too Thomas, recipe please.

I have a cracking dahl recipe if anyone's interested. Better than owt I've had from curry houses.

Yes please

I'm doing Burmese duck leg & potato curry tonight, might put up a picture if you're lucky! ;)

You too Thomas, recipe please.

Here http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/burmese-duck-leg-and-potato-curry.htm

I made it and it was lush but there's a couple of things I'd change if I were to do it again. I would de seed the dried chillies because in the end the dish has to simmer for quite a while and they ended up being just a little bit too powerful and I would also use breast as for the kind of sauce you end up creating it's more suited to a softer looser meet than duck legs which - I think are probably only good for shredded duck.

(I ordered breast but Sainsbury's did that daft thing where they replace it because it's out of stock)

Otherwise it was a great meal and one of those where the ingredients at the start seem rank, particularly ''fish sauce'' which is horrible but in the end they blend together wonderfully.

I'm an absolute cooking noob, but wanna cook myself a curry, just a regular one, nowt fancy, anyone take pity and help a beginner out?

For a start you'll need a high sided frying pan or a wok. A lot of curries can have the same common ingredients that kick off the flavour before you properly start cooking the dish so if you don't cook curries regularly it can be a fanny on getting the stuff. Basic stuff like cumin, garlic, root ginger & curry paste can often get you started. Although sometimes you will need two different kinds of the same spice i.e cumin seeds & ground cumin for which you'll need a pestle & mortar and it can get overly complicated.

This is off the top of my head but for a basic chicken jafrezi you could get by on -

Cumin seeds (tea spoon)

Garlic (2 cloves)

Root ginger (1 strip)

Red/Green Pepper

2 Onions

Curry paste (tablespoon) (you can make your own but best buy some for now)

Ground coriander (tea spoon)

Ground cumin (tea spoon)

Salt

Chilli powder (tea spoon)

A tin of tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes, deskinned & blended, though you may need a stock cube)

400-600g chicken breast,

If you can muster that you'll be sorted and I'll post some instructions up if you like.

I'm an absolute cooking noob, but wanna cook myself a curry, just a regular one, nowt fancy, anyone take pity and help a beginner out?

For a start you'll need a high sided frying pan or a wok. A lot of curries can have the same common ingredients that kick off the flavour before you properly start cooking the dish so if you don't cook curries regularly it can be a fanny on getting the stuff. Basic stuff like cumin, garlic, root ginger & curry paste can often get you started. Although sometimes you will need two different kinds of the same spice i.e cumin seeds & ground cumin for which you'll need a pestle & mortar and it can get overly complicated.

This is off the top of my head but for a basic chicken jafrezi you could get by on -

Cumin seeds (tea spoon)

Garlic (2 cloves)

Root ginger (1 strip)

Red/Green Pepper

2 Onions

Curry paste (tablespoon) (you can make your own but best buy some for now)

Ground coriander (tea spoon)

Ground cumin (tea spoon)

Salt

Chilli powder (tea spoon)

A tin of tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes, deskinned & blended, though you may need a stock cube)

400-600g chicken breast,

If you can muster that you'll be sorted and I'll post some instructions up if you like.

Perfect! I have a wok so i'll be fine with that :D. yeah instructions would be a necessary, i'm actually embarrassing, i've survived my first month of being an undergraduate on super noodles, peanut butter sandwiches, bacon and egg sandwiches, Burger King and Takeaways. Plus a cheeky few kit-kats for good measure

No problem mate I didn't expect straight away, I have apprehensions anyway, some idiot bint set the fire alarm off at 2 am last night burning toast apparently :huh:

We used to do that in the nurses home all the time because we'd automatically get 3 lots of firemen...