Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

I tried crating when I got my dog, I think it’s all the rage at the moment but honestly she settled better when I got rid of it. She found somewhere she liked and moved her bed there and hardly cried at night after that.

She’s 5 now so middle aged for a bulldog really.

9DDDF940-3D55-4715-AEA8-E586635BB6F3.jpeg

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Matches his taste in guitars

Estate agent in doing their job shocker.

2 grand to spend every day picking up dog shit? Fuck that.    I can source the parts locally for a fraction of that. Call it £80 and ill build you one from scratch.   

Posted Images

Nah, crating works and gives them their own space to go to rather than floating around everywhere. Separation anxiety is standard. Some say the sound of a ticking clock or leaving a radio/TV on helps.

33 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye my mam was saying the same. She's not up for the crate thing, thinks it's cruel and that. Honestly I haven't got a clue, I'm just doing what the trainer woman tells me. 

We have a crate but that’s the dog’s safe space. She goes in and lies in it and runs for it when we bring her harness out(she hates her harness).

40 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye my mam was saying the same. She's not up for the crate thing, thinks it's cruel and that. Honestly I haven't got a clue, I'm just doing what the trainer woman tells me. 

Our first dog, black Lab, I created a removable drop down/slot in barrier at kitchen doorway to keep her there overnight, she howled the place down first few nights then as if by magic there was silence, we thought thank fuck for that she's settled. Came out of bedroom next morning and she was asleep on the landing curled up on some dirty laundry. :) After that she just came in with us, as has every dog since, and she had the decency until fully trained to go into the bathroom and do her toilet on the tiles.

4 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Crate it, we had a crate with a run so our daschund still had a bit of freedom but house training it was a nightmare in the end took nearly two years to be accident free (tough breed for it to didn't help) 

Wish I'd not bothered with the run and locked her in it at night to try speed up that process,  ours didn't cry etc but stick with it def, if we get another dog ill 100% crate it. 

Sam loves her crate tbh but her breed burrows so she'll tunnel under the pillows and has a flap to block the light out. 

Was looking at prices to get us another pup since we're working from home non stop but they're  mental here, 3x the usual prices. 

1 minute ago, Ant said:

Crate it, we had a crate with a run so our daschund still had a bit of freedom but house training it was a nightmare in the end took nearly two years to be accident free (tough breed for it to didn't help) 

Wish I'd not bothered with the run and locked her in it at night to try speed up that process,  ours didn't cry etc but stick with it def, if we get another dog ill 100% crate it. 

Sam loves her crate tbh but her breed burrows so she'll tunnel under the pillows and has a flap to block the light out. 

Was looking at prices to get us another pup since we're working from home non stop but they're  mental here, 3x the usual prices. 

Nice one cheers for the advice. We've done the same with adding like a pen around the crate, and same again, the little dick just wants to be in the pen instead. 

Prices have gone wild since lockdown. Hard to see them going back down either now people are used to asking and receiving these wild numbers. 

4 hours ago, strawb said:

I tried crating when I got my dog, I think it’s all the rage at the moment but honestly she settled better when I got rid of it. She found somewhere she liked and moved her bed there and hardly cried at night after that.

She’s 5 now so middle aged for a bulldog really.

9DDDF940-3D55-4715-AEA8-E586635BB6F3.jpeg

Absolute unit this lad

25 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Trump esque on here mind. Locking baby dogs in cages and listening them cry for their mothers. But it's ok cos it's "separation anxiety" and the PTSD will shut them up eventually and turn them into obedient little pets...

It is all about people with tiny mushrooms.