What are you reading?

khay

Can anyone reccommend some good history books? I plan on going to Auschwitz next year so I'd be interested in anything relevant to the Holocaust/WW2. Also anything on the European Empires.

I've got a couple but they're largely textbooks for my uni work, rather than anything like Forgotten Voices, still interesting but not really something worth reading in big chunks. If you're not bothered, I can recommend a couple though.

Can anyone reccommend some good history books? I plan on going to Auschwitz next year so I'd be interested in anything relevant to the Holocaust/WW2. Also anything on the European Empires.

I've got a couple but they're largely textbooks for my uni work, rather than anything like Forgotten Voices, still interesting but not really something worth reading in big chunks. If you're not bothered, I can recommend a couple though.

Please do. I am interested in history text books, don't really know where to start though. I have A People's History of the World and some Historical World Atlases, that's about it though.

Sorry mate, just seen this now. For WW2, I always recommend Anthony Beevor, particularly Stalingrad and The Fall of Berlin 1945 as excellent reads about the later parts of the war.

Fives Days in London by John Luckac (I think) follows on from the Battle of Dunkirk and focuses on the UK.

Shirer's Rise and Fall of the Third Reich is a monumental read (1000 pages easy, IIRC) but is a vast chronicle of Nazi Germany and the war itself. Of course, with all of these, they're slightly skewed toward.each.historian's biases but still good stuff.

The only books I have left that I own from Uni work are Reformation books and one about 1910's Britain (which is boring as sin) but if you want the Tudor ones posted out, I'll do so.

The only books I have left that I own from Uni work are Reformation books and one about 1910's Britain (which is boring as sin) but if you want the Tudor ones posted out, I'll do so.

Yeah I'll take anything thanks, drop me a PM!

I'll check out those reccomendations, see the thing I was worried about when I began to look for historical books was that the authors would have skewed it to their biases as you say. Who is the least skewy historian?

Shirer's Rise and Fall of the Third Reich sounds like a good one, I'm reading a lot atm so I welcome behemoth tomes.

Seen a few interviews with Vonnegut, he came across as a very straightforward chap (with regard to writing) and a funny old crank. I like how he rated all his books. I'm currently reading everything by Orwell, but I'll definitely check out Slaughterhouse 5 when I'm through.

I read some pieces on Jobs after he died. By all accounts he was an arsehole, but he seemed to be funny with it. Some of the stories about him, particularly from women he dated, seemed to be straight out of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Apparently some tech magazine (Wired) were going to run a negative profile on him so he rang up the editor and said, "So you've discovered that I'm an asshole.... why is that news?" What isn't so funny is the Apple factories in China. Yeesh.

PM me your address KSA and I'll send on Forgotten Voices of WW1 when I'm finished it.

Book sharing Toontastic Love :D

I am about to start Mans Search for Meaning

I've had that for a while, but haven't got around to it yet.

Just finished this book Gem, its a great read.

I have just been told by a mate about this book - Sober, supposed to be a canny read.

Sarah Waters - Fingersmith

Really enjoyed Tipping the Velvet (well, who wouldn't? ;)) and my lass got the wrong end of the stick and gave me this to read.

Not bad so far though, very good at conveying a Victorian underclass mindset.

Yeah I'll take anything thanks, drop me a PM!

I'll check out those reccomendations, see the thing I was worried about when I began to look for historical books was that the authors would have skewed it to their biases as you say. Who is the least skewy historian?

Sorry, keep forgetting about this. I like Roberts as a European historian and I've dug out one of his books covering 1860-1945 which I'll send along but you might have to put up with some of my dodgy annotations. I'll send you a PM in a bit.

Started Ron Jeremy's autobiography.

He's over the moon with himself for having so many talents. Being in Detroit Rock City doesn't really compare to shagging 14 women for 5 hours and shooting your nerf in their faces on cue though.