What are you reading?

khay

Funnily enough, I'm watching The Ipcress File as we speak. Think it's wired into men to love spies.

The books are great. Funeral in Berlin and IPCRESS File in particular. Billion Dollar Brain is a bit ropey though (as is the film).

Funnily enough, I'm watching The Ipcress File as we speak. Think it's wired into men to love spies.

Still rue the day I turned the Foreign Office job down (the breeding ground for diplomats spies). I was too young and too dopey. To think I could be on some far away balcony, taking a sniffta and planning a coup or bugging a consulate. ;)

Brian Lumley the necroscope, better than twilight

The original series is great but stay clear of the offshoots - milking a dead horse imo.

For the first time in my life I'm surprisingly stuck in as Sci-Fi groove which I've been in for a few months now - currently reading Peter F. Hamilton's Confedration series.

Just finished Ordinary Thunderstorms by William Boyd. Took me a while cos the central character seemed like such an idiot for the first half of the book, but it picks up later on. But only one to read if you have nothing else, really.

Reading the latest from Kermode. Basically what he says on the podcasts in print. Still fun though.

Best bit was when he was on about some straight to video film starring Shannon Tweed (Pirahnna women in the Amazon or whatever), which reminded me of Shannon Whirry, her soft core counterpart. He was going on about the gender equality issues of the Pirahna film, but all I was thinking about was Whirry's chebs. Animal Instincts 1 & 2 were mint but Mirror Images 2 was the most memorable film I saw between 13 & 15...and I saw it about 30 times on Bravo.

These days with the internets most lads have seen double anal penetration before they're 11. It's a shame they'll never enjoy the high quality production levels of the less explicit smut industry.

I've just read 'The Hobbit' again just to refresh my mind ready for the new film. (I know its not out until Dec though)! My next read will be The Children of Hurin by Tolkien. (which was published posthumously)

Just discovered a great writer in Alexander Baron. 'The Lowlife' is all I've read so far but it's class (about an East-End Jew who fought in the war and has become a waster / fulltime gambler). It's very funny, touching and insightful but most of all it's got that ineffable sense of realsim about it. Also a very easy book to read.

Dog Soldiers was very enjoyable btw. Even better than the film ;)

Edited by alex

9781409136477.jpg

9781409123170.jpg

just bought these 2 books, first one as recommended on here

I might have to try that Ajax book! I just finished 'Brilliant Orange' by David Winner & I loved it, it seemed a lot more diverse than most football books & the 2010 WC update was a nice addition at the end.

J.Wilson is a mackem but I'm desperate to try a few of his books. I've only ever heard good reviews.

I might have to try that Ajax book! I just finished 'Brilliant Orange' by David Winner & I loved it, it seemed a lot more diverse than most football books & the 2010 WC update was a nice addition at the end.

J.Wilson is a mackem but I'm desperate to try a few of his books. I've only ever heard good reviews.

well, Clough played for sunderland, but that doesn't really matter, I've bought the book because its about Clough and if its owt like a couple of others I've read, it will be a good read.

well, Clough played for sunderland, but that doesn't really matter, I've bought the book because its about Clough and if its owt like a couple of others I've read, it will be a good read.

Let us know how it goes LM will you?

Yeh I might get it anyway mind as the reviews are generally good!

I'm currently enjoying Bret Easton Ellis' ''Less Than Zero'' which my sister got me as a Christmas present after I enjoy - arguably his worst book - ''The Informers'' so much.

Let us know how it goes LM will you?

I will, but I've got a serious backlog of reading to do.

Aye, I liked Less Than Zero but it's a bit dated / very 80s. Read that Alexander Baron book, Tom. You won't regret it ;)

Yeh I'll add it to the list, got quit e abit to get through at the moment.

For me I can't call Less Than Zero dated as it was released before I was born so I'm not overly aware of the trends or music/endless prescription drugs so it reads strange. Anyway I started it yesterday & I've not got long to go, such is the nature of his writing.